Author Topic: AC International in Scotland  (Read 22814 times)

BBK

• View Profile
AC International in Scotland
« Reply #45 on: June 25, 2012, 23:58:13 »
If a U.S. International comes together somehow, and such an event takes place in California, another thought that might be nice (in addition to the Monterey Historics and Hillsborough Concours) is an exhibition of the Club members' cars at the Blackhawk Museum in Danville, CA, which is across the San Francisco Bay from Hillsborough (about 50 minutes drive).  The museum is world class and affiliated with the Smithsonian Museum in Washington, D.C. They have some amazing cars there. Here is a link to the site.

http://www.blackhawkmuseum.org/

I am a member of the museum and they routinely have car club events there and also catered events as well if there is an interest in such.  Last year there was a special display of Jaguar E-Types for the 50th anniversary and JAG (Jaguar Associates Group...a local club)had an event there and club display of its E-Types. I could look into the details some more at an appropriate time if there is interest.

MkIV Lux

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 26, 2012, 00:50:07 »
So why not just copy and continue with the list initiated by Andy:

Andy and Karen Shepherd Cobra Mk IV  (UK)
   Ted and Murray Shepherd Ace Bristol  (UK)
   Constant Wagner & Dany Georges Cobra Mk IV (Luxembourg)

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 26, 2012, 02:17:46 »
Keith Lessiter, Ace Bristol
   Andy and Karen Shepherd Cobra Mk IV (UK)
   Ted and Murray Shepherd Ace Bristol (UK)
   Mike Harlow
   Nick Revill
   Barrie Bird
   Classicus(?)

I have several interested parties state-side.

Gus

bruce craik

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 26, 2012, 09:55:21 »
Please add me to the list, after all there must be forty weeks of potential lottery wins before the trip...

AC Cobra Mk IV CRS

Classicus

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 26, 2012, 10:15:57 »
quote:
Originally posted by Gus Meyjes

Keith Lessiter, Ace Bristol
   Andy and Karen Shepherd Cobra Mk IV (UK)
   Ted and Murray Shepherd Ace Bristol (UK)
   Mike Harlow
   Nick Revill
   Barrie Bird
   Classicus(?)

I have several interested parties state-side.

Gus

Love to but unfortunately not as I don't own an AC....

Flyinghorse

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 26, 2012, 10:30:34 »
Owning a car should not be an impediment. I am sure many ACOC internationals have the odd non AC's or just daily drivers for practical reasons (Towing/luggage/spares car).
   I would have thought being a club member is whats required. Some may wish to attend but won't want to ship their car for manyt reasons.
   I note a Mustang convertible can be hired from LA for a week for about £258.
   If controling numbers was important I could see preference given to those who commit to ship a vehicle.
   Graham

MkIV Lux

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 26, 2012, 10:37:16 »
quote:
Originally posted by shep

Right, I will be discussing the possibility of a USA trip at the ACOC Council meeting on Thursday evening, and it would be useful to have a very very rough idea of how many cars we could muster for a North American raid. If everyone who is seriously interested posts their vote on this forum, and advises of any friends they think may come too, I will have some idea of what is possible. ......

to be complete, as most of the AC drivers I encountered on the Internationals are not active on the Forum, we would have to seek information also by other means....

shep

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 26, 2012, 12:24:23 »
The object of the International is to gather like minded enthusiasts from the widest possible area, to meet each other socially, and build the co-operation and camaraderie within the ACOC. There have always been members who for one reason or another could not bring their AC and joined the tour in another "interesting" car. I would suggest we don't want to end up with a convoy of modern Fords or whatever, but the conditions for entry should be Membership of the ACOC, and being able to enter into the spirit of the event with or without an AC.

Paul Mundy

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 26, 2012, 22:12:56 »
Sounds like an interesting little jaunt!
   Please add my wife and I to your list of interested parties together with our Cobra Superblower 7002.

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 05, 2012, 01:41:37 »
I spoke with my brother, who just retired from the international shipping business after 44 years. He gave me some contact information at the headquarters in Amsterdam and suggested that if there is enough interest a roll on roll off may be arranged with for example a pick up in Zeebrugge, Belgium and drop off at an East coast port. I will make contact with his assistance to see if this is a viable option. More than likely it will be the most economical way of shipping AC's from Europe to the USA and back.

I will keep you all posted.

http://www.transfennica.com/Index.aspx?pgeId=238

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 12, 2012, 23:35:23 »
Today I received a quote from Transfennica. They will ship round trip from Antwerp to Baltimore for 4000 Euros and can assist with customs clearance for another 75 euros per car. Food for thought...

Gus

REV

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 12, 2012, 23:50:56 »
Gus,

That seems very reasonable. I can't imagine that it would be an awful lot less. I think that the whole trip will hinge on a fortnights bills and costs. If dramatic locations, fab events and good times can be achieved at reasonable cost then you will have lots of people willing to travel. For many Europeans this would be a trip of a lifetime and something they'd be willing to go the extra mile to achieve.

Whether there are any sponsors or reasons that organisations in the States would like the presence of such cars I have no idea, but I suspect the key here is keeping the costs at a minimum for the participants and adding value to a State side event or a Company sponsor.

I for one really hope that you can pull something off. I would be my dream International event.

Good luck to you.

:-)

AKL 1333

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 13, 2012, 09:10:54 »
Originally posted by Gus Meyjes

Today I received a quote from Transfennica. They will ship round trip from Antwerp to Baltimore for 4000 Euros and can assist with customs clearance for another 75 euros per car. Food for thought...

Gus

4000 Euro  sounds very realistic, but i think there are a lot of other costs for transport insurance (on my way back from Scotland i have meet some guys from the morgan car club netherlands and they had done the trip to the states one or two years ago and some of there cars were damaged on the transport) and car insurance for the united states (its not included in the normal car insurance) and of course Baltimore is at the east coast and most suggestions for the meeting are at the west coast so you need another tarnsport to the west coast or you have to go thousands of miles in sometimes old cars but of course if its coming true it will be the trip of the lifetime to go up the westcoast in my mkiv

Juergen

Bill P

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 13, 2012, 10:50:48 »
In 2008 I was quoted £1500 from a UK carrier to transport a car from San Francisco to Portsmouth and whilst in California the price with a USA carrier magically dropped to $1500 from Monterey to Portsmouth - be careful who you book with and on which side of the Atlantic you do your booking with!!

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 13, 2012, 12:05:25 »
Thank you guys,

I appreciate the suggestions and please keep them coming! I'm very well aware that shopping around can be very beneficial. I doubt that the major manufacturers are paying those prices,  so I'm sure it can be done for less. The key part is indeed where the event is going to take place. Monterrey and surroundings is a fantastic locations for all kinds of reasons, but it does add to travel cost and time, unless we can ship directly to the west coast and you guys can book a flight to San Fransisco or San Jose. Europeans will find that cost of living is less in the US and lodging generally is as well. Needless to say: you wish you had $3.5/gallon gas!!
   I'm sure east or West coast, we can find fantastic roads to drive.
   I think the most important part would be to see where the majority of you would like to go to.
   As far as insurance goes, I believe Hagarty now also sells in the UK/Europe. This company has it's headquarters about 30 miles north from where I live. They may want to assist in this and maybe in sponsorship as well.
   I don't want to get too far ahead of me, but a large number of AC's could attract some publicity from the media and therefore attract sponsorship.
   Gus