Author Topic: AC International in Scotland  (Read 22687 times)

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
AC International in Scotland
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2012, 16:59:07 »
I hope to do the same one day in Europe. But even a state side trip like this would be a very unique experience for most of us here, I'm sure. Without getting ahead of myself I am excited about the feedback. I would be more than willing to take on organizing this and being that it would be the first stateside "international" I'm hoping there will be lots of interest. I have connections here that can be of good use in order to get a large contingent going.

Gus

cobham cobra

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2012, 17:10:40 »
A couple of years ago I shipped my car to Jordan for a two week event the car was on a boat for five weeks each way and it also required a maritime insurance policy. If the cars go by sea you have to plan to be without the car for much of the summer. Air shipping would certainly be easier, but either way a major consideration would be customs making sure the paperwork was in order so we didn’t pay taxes.
   The main business of the place where I store my car is worldwide transportation of high value vehicles. I can ask them for an indication of costs if you like.
   John.

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2012, 17:16:52 »
I'll ask my brother how he could be of help. Atlantic crossings tend to go a lot faster and it just depends on what route the ship is on. If you collect your car at the first port of call, it may just be a couple of weeks or less.

shep

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2012, 18:11:36 »
Hi Gus, these replies are exactly what we want to see. I agree with David that it may well be a USA Chapter meeting, perhaps with half a dozen Europeans making the trip, BUT.... If it takes off like Keith's gas caps then we may all be surprised! To make the subject more visible on the Forum, why not start a new thread entitled "2013 International USA?" I would put in the ? mark until it becomes official. Andy.

shep

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2012, 18:18:07 »
PS. Note for Barrie, I think my Uncle Fred was involved in some interesting distilled products around Chicago in the 1920s. I'm sure Gus can alternate between Vinyards at lunchtime and Distilleries approaching sundown!

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2012, 19:30:37 »
   ACOC  USA International 2013 or 2014

The various ACOC Internationals I've partaken in over the years have been greatly enjoyed, the daily mileage of 150/200 miles or so pales into insignificanse  when including traveling to and from host Country.
   e.g leaving home in UK to Bayerische Wald (Bavarian Forest) and back...  ACOC Int 2008 in 8 days mileage was 2146 miles. 2 days there, 4 days event 2 days return..  max 500 miles in a day.

ACOC Int Luxemburg in 2005 was approx 1400 miles.

ACOC Int 2003 to Ollons Villers ( Geneva) Left Friday home early Tuesday.

Constants ACOC Scotish Rally 2012.   Luxumberg to Scotland and back in his MK1V Cobra was some 3200Km

Could be interested in Taking BEX333 back to USA for a few weeks (NW, Vancouver BC ..where it was raced in the 1950s & 1960s) [;)]   Subject to £££sss in Transport and Insurance.[?]

Please keep me in the Loop....

Keith..[:)]..[:)]

MkIV Lux

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2012, 18:58:00 »
Yes indeed Keith.. our cars are made for being driven.. that's wherer we enjoy them most....

New York to San Francisco would just be 900 kms more than my Scotish International two weeks ago, having covered 3750 kms in 9 days with the MkIV.

My Swedish international in 2007 took me through Germany, Denmark,to Sweden and return via Denmark, Germany then a business related loop to Innsbruck (Austria), over 3800 kms in 12 days with the MkIV.

[:)]
    Only transport and insurance cost could be a show stopper for a US international

Keep me in the loop [:)]

Constant

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2012, 23:21:06 »
So far I am very encouraged by your responses. A cross country trip would be fabulous and a once in a lifetime trip for all. I'd like to avoid straight interstate driving, but considering a northern port of arrival (Boston) there would be some great sight seeing, mountain driving, Niagara falls, great lakes, badlands, Yellowstone, rocky mountains, California.. incredible stuff! All or most on roads less traveled and some on interstate, in order to make some good time in the boring sections. For anyone that has not been stateside and driven cross country: this land is absolutely enormous! Talking about "made to be driven", are you ready for some 7000 miles?

Gus

AcecaRacer

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2012, 06:32:47 »
I really like this idea...
   For what it's worth, if we make it a west coast run around the time of Monterey, you could then drive up north towards San Francisco and I would be happy to host all of you at the Concours that I am proud to be Chairman of - The Hillsborough Concours.  The longest continually running Concours in the world...56 straight years.  There are older, but none have run continuously.  We run the weekend after Pebble Beach.

I will be racing my ACECA - BE-603 again in the Historics/Reunion this year.  Come see some sliding madness.

Check us out at www.hillsboroughconcours.org

Let's make this happen!

Rob

MkIV Lux

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2012, 08:10:15 »
quote:
Originally posted by Gus Meyjes
   ... Talking about "made to be driven", are you ready for some 7000 miles?

Gus

that might be a bit much for a week....

... and not everybody drives a MkIV, so there are many older cars on our internationals that one has to consider

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 25, 2012, 13:34:13 »
Well, for a week, yes. But I figured the European contingent would take a little extra time for such a long trip.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves and speculate on time and distance. We will have to figure out what would be the most advantageous arrival port and go from there. I did get help offered from Jonathan Parker in Canada to organize, in case it might happen. What ever it is that may happen, it will be done with all considered and allowing for the broadest number of participants.

Gus

TLegate

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 25, 2012, 17:11:45 »
A cross-continent trip by Cobra was done back in the 80s - from New York to California to attend a SAAC convention, car shipped home from LA. All things are possible, just requires time and money!

cobham cobra

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 25, 2012, 17:22:15 »
Trevor, are you suggesting http://tinyurl.com/cnkg8kr
   [:)]

shep

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 25, 2012, 18:19:08 »
Right, I will be discussing the possibility of a USA trip at the ACOC Council meeting on Thursday evening, and it would be useful to have a very very rough idea of how many cars we could muster for a North American raid. If everyone who is seriously interested posts their vote on this forum, and advises of any friends they think may come too, I will have some idea of what is possible. Something like:
   Andy and Karen Shepherd Cobra Mk IV plus Ted and Murray Shepherd Ace Bristol. Total 2 cars from UK.

aaron

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 25, 2012, 22:34:45 »
quote:
Originally posted by Gus Meyjes

I'll make an attempt to meet Bill. Hopefully I'll be at the ACOC/Cobra  dinner organized by Jerry Rosenstock. It might be a good opportunity to gauge interest in a State side "international". I would not be surprised if any of the events (Pebble Beach, The quail, Carmel concourse etc, would be interested in welcoming the ACOC and a gaggle of AC's.

Gus

Bill is a really nice guy to chat to, I have spoken to him a few times.