Author Topic: AC International in Scotland  (Read 22689 times)

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
AC International in Scotland
« Reply #60 on: July 20, 2012, 01:21:16 »
I now have emails out to three more shipping brokers for quotes for shipping to California. These brokers are being used by a classic car dealer in Monterrey, CA. Thanks to Bill Patterson to share the name of the dealer.   I also made contact with Hagerty insurance.

I will keep you all posted on developments.

Gus

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 20, 2012, 03:07:49 »
Good news: The price is coming down. Multiple points of origin available. Drop off in LA. A west coast trip will be possible for roughly $4000 round trip (2500 UK pounds). That is a $1000 savings over the first quote.  I asked for clarification, and as it stands that will include everything. Show up, drop your car off. Fly to LA, pick it up and drive off onto Pacific Coast Highway to Monterrey. They will handle all customs work and releasing the cars. And, they handle classic cars all the time.

Check out their link on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9unBxyAl6TI

I have done that drive twice, and I can tell you there is NOTHING like it. [:)][:)][:)]

As the info comes in, I'll keep you posted.

Gus

B.P.Bird

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 23, 2012, 18:02:42 »
This is beginning to look like a goer - would love to bring both le Mans cars. If we had 30 or 40 cars the price might take a further tumble. Keep at it Gus. Does Andy have any input from Official Channels ?

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 25, 2012, 01:57:23 »
Barrie,

I sent Andy an email with the update. I have not heard from him yet, he usually replies quickly. Vacation maybe?

I have two other quotes in the making.  I would like to get a feeling for how many cars would be going, as we will have to make reservations early and contact event managers early on. Hotels book a year ahead, in case we want to stay in a reasonable radius from all the Monterrey action.

Excited to hear you want to go. Talk you your fellow owners at the track! I know there is a lot of interest on this side of the pond.

I suppose it is time to place an announcement in the ACtion.

Gus

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 25, 2012, 10:35:09 »
Gus.

Good positive response todate from many on both sides of the pond..[;)]

Before spending many hours of research and preparation, we need to have realistic idea of numbers really interested.

I  book main Chateaux and Restaraunt for Le Mans Classic 2 years in advance, Ferry tickets 1 year in advance. Jean Marc & I find it consumes vast number of hours organising accommodation, dinner and function tickets for 120 plus people with 50/60 cars from 9 or 10 nationalities...  form a Council / committee and delegate responsibilities. [;)]

Once you decide it is ON, then it is a case of Serious non refundable Deposit. (plus stage payments ..[?])

For the first time in 12 years we had a member cancel two weeks before the event, leaving the ACOC with 5 vacant rooms in one Chateau, Impossible to relet along with entry  tickets, ACOC Gala Dinner.........  If there is a Le Mans Classic number 7, It will be £££s $$$ or Euros up front.  Suggest you do the same.

Mind you it is rare for a ACOC member to cancel and not honour costs incurred, However there is always a first,  as I have recently learnt.[V].

Please note, Minority of Club Members visit the ACOC Forum, so good idea to update monthly via ACtion..[;)]

Hopefully the shipping and insurance package with potential sponsorship.[?] is within budget, I will definitely bring BEX333, If not I MUST beg, Borrow or steal a AC from one of our members on your side of the Pond.

Good Luck with the organising, Will keep in touch with you and Andy. assuming Andy is ACting as UK representative.

Cheers

Keith..[:)]..[:)]

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 25, 2012, 13:38:06 »
Keith,

I don't believe Andy sees himself as the UK coordinator (yet). I certainly did not ask him, but he did offer to bring it to the Council and test the waters. I have not heard from him on that. I think the next step for me is to place an announcement in the next ACtion.

I appreciate your suggestions, and please keep them coming!

Unfortunately few, if any, Chateaux to book at this side of the pond!![;)]

Gus

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 26, 2012, 22:27:24 »
Got another quote in, it's getting better all the time.

2 cars, one 40 foot container: $4000, all inclusive. We are now at 1250 UK pounds per car... Seems to me everyone can go now!!

I'm clearing up a few details on this one and than we'll have to decide on who to go with. Experience with transporting valuable classics is an important issue as well as experience with customs clearance for the temporary use of these cars state-side.

Gus

MkIV Lux

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 27, 2012, 00:39:15 »
Gus, not to complicate the issue, but there is usually a few cars from the European mainland joining in on the Internationals. Would you be able to ask for additional quote for containers from a port in France, Belgium or The Netherlands from where cars from this side of the Channel could be shipped?
   Thanks in advance
   Constant

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 27, 2012, 01:35:17 »
The first quote would include the opportunity to pick up at various European ports. So I don't think that would be an issue.

Unfortunately after I asked for clarification on the last quote, it turns out to be about the same as the first one. I think if we can have an easy process, with a shipper that does 1500 cars per month and who can pick up form various locations throughout Europe, that would be the way to go.

Gus

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 04, 2012, 01:41:39 »
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

re:- Potential ACOC 2013 International in USA .

Please visit :- 428 Frua Forum.

Keith..[;)]

rstainer

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 04, 2012, 12:34:52 »
There is a dedicated string for this exciting proposal.

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 04, 2012, 16:11:56 »
Robin.

This topic was posted throughout the ACOC Forum, I posted simply to indicate to those interested that as there are two distinct threads its worth consulting both.

You are right,A Intertnational in USA west Coast is a great idea and many of us have already shown our interest,  Gus Meyjers will deinitely be pleased to hear of your interest, which one of your Cobras do you intend to ship across the pond.[?]

Good Luck Gus with your research and plans..[:p] please keep us all informed preferably via one thread on Forum and via ACtion on a monthly basis.

Unfortunately majority of the ACOC membership do not venture onto the forum, so are not always conversant with current issues and potential events, but could well be interested in this once in a lifetime  ACOC International.[;)]

Keith ..[:)]