Author Topic: AC International in Scotland  (Read 22688 times)

Classicus

• View Profile
AC International in Scotland
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2012, 22:25:40 »
Just think of all those 428s....[:p]

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2012, 22:39:19 »
The wallet impact may or may not be that steep. It all depends on how you ship your car. Roll on roll off to the east coast will probably set you back between $500 and $1000. Same for a container. Get together with a couple of guys and ship 2 cars in a 40 footer. My brother is in international shipping through Mammoth. He can probably work up some connections if people would really be interested. Hell, He might ship his Jag and join you.

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2012, 22:53:49 »
I'll make an attempt to meet Bill. Hopefully I'll be at the ACOC/Cobra  dinner organized by Jerry Rosenstock. It might be a good opportunity to gauge interest in a State side "international". I would not be surprised if any of the events (Pebble Beach, The quail, Carmel concourse etc, would be interested in welcoming the ACOC and a gaggle of AC's.

Gus

REV

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2012, 23:23:26 »
Sounds fantastic, and mines Stateside legal!

Need plenty of notice though and no school holidays please!

:-)

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2012, 23:25:56 »
Looks like this might go somewhere...

Maybe I can be put in contact with current organizers of nationals and internationals to bounce around ideas and gain from experience.

I'll keep at it.

Gus

B.P.Bird

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2012, 23:38:15 »

Trying again, but Graham is a poor instructor so fingers crossed.

B.P.Bird

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2012, 23:46:34 »
Crikey it worked. All photographs credited to Linzi Smart. Well sounds to me like the American/Canadian International is on. Air freight would be nice, as would a sponsor, but sea freight and Motel 6 would do.

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2012, 00:02:17 »
Not that many castles in the US, but this one will do: My wife and AEX674 in front of the Biltmore in Asheville, NC.

MkIV Lux

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2012, 09:16:01 »
I remember that the Mulaceks had brought 4 Aces from Chicago to Le Mans Classic in 2010...

.. so the other way round should be feasible...

I'll try to convince the only Luxembourgish AC team to join in [;)]... provided the trip will include some laps at Laguna Seca, Watkins Glen, Road America or thelike [;)][;)]

Classicus

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2012, 10:38:54 »
Any big Concours events going on at the same time for US based 428s and all other ACs making it one big party as this would also hopefully fill in nearly all the last remaining unknown 428 Register and Archive entries as well....

shep

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2012, 11:07:58 »
Hi Gus, before you go to too much trouble, let me discuss the idea of a possible US International at next Thursday's Council Meeting in London. From personal experience organising the Diamond Jubilee International ay Brooklands in 2010, you need to have a team of helpers who can manage the various elements of the event, otherwise it will drive you mad. I was lucky to have AC friends locally who took on the organisation of hotels, road trips, lunches, visits to places of interest etc. In Scotland, Howard and Jacqui did a great job, and had their team of Barrie, Bill, Roger and Fiona and others to spread the load. Previously we have visited most of the countries of Europe, so there is plenty of experience to call on. Perhaps any members who are seriously interested in going to the USA in 2013 could add their support by posting on this thread.

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2012, 14:29:58 »
Excellent. I'm encouraged by the the positive feedback so far. I believe only a limited number of ACOC members frequent the forum, hopefully there will be more interest. I never spoke with Jim Feldman. Shep, you have my email, if you want to drop me Jim's Email if you have it.
   Generally, how many days do you guys cover for these events and on average how many miles per day?

Curious to hear the feedback from your meeting. Considering the logistics of members shipping to the US, moving forward with organization at the earliest time possible would be beneficial.

Maybe interested members can throw out some suggestions with regards to what their interests may be.

Another venue that may be of interest to visit would be a SAAC annual. Always staged at a Race track. This year they were at the Glen. Although seeing 50 AC's parked at a special Corral at Pebble Beach would be spectacular!!

Gus

DGoose

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2012, 15:21:49 »
Hi Gus,

My view and I suspect that of many other ordinary UK & European members would be that a club wide US international, fantastic as it sounds, would not happen.

The prospect of shipping a car stateside sounds a little scary and is highly unlikely to meet with financial approval from the dear sweet wife!!

Now, I would think with the number of US members in the club a US equivalent of our international should be quite feasible and maybe, just maybe, a smattering of members from across the pond would turn up.

If you fancy a go arranging something I'm sure the membership secretary could help out with e-mail's & addresses etc.

I've always thought it would be good to drive route66 in an open mustang but an AC would be even better, maybe when I retire!

Good luck,

David

B.P.Bird

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2012, 16:08:32 »
I will express an interest in an 'Across The Pond International' Gus. There are so many questions, but we have the first ingredient - enthusiasm.
   The primary question is cost and you need to quantify that at an early stage. The main cost will be car transport and in that connection the  variables are East or West coast, Air or Sea, North, Canada or South, U.S.A. The great adventure of arriving East and driving West (and back?) might be a consideration for the deeply smitten A.C. enthusiast.
   Joining up with the S.A.A.C. would make track time an economic possibility, but their planning is, of necessity, longer term than ours as they are so much larger and an early contact will be essential.
   I am sure BGS could give us a brief on insurance options.I believe Simon Taylor has his Ace 2.6 across at Pebble Beach this year so he would be up to date on one off shipping.
   Some serious work will have to be done on sponsorship to make the economics possible for all members. It would be a shame if we could not get a representative selection of models through the decades to join in.
   Jim Feldman is not a great email user, better to fax him Gus - see list of Club Officers in ACtion for number.
   So far as mileage is concerned it depends on a) Are you planning a fixed base with 'out and back' journeys or b) A rolling base between daily outings ? You also need to cater for a wide performance capability, both cars and drivers (some of the youngsters have trouble keeping the Old Timers in sight) so a route which can be short cut is a help. Our longest day in Scotland was 180 miles which was hard work through the hills and none of this effeminate winery to winery stuff either, it was distillery to distillery. Of course on an Interstate this distance would be easy for some A.C.s , but not the older ones maybe. Speaking of Interstates does Nevada still have no speed limits? A98 (and LM5000) would like that......
   As Andy wisely points out (killjoy) before investing too much time and hope in this wonderful idea it will be wise to consider the solution to a few basic problems first.

REV

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2012, 16:45:07 »
I have to agree that there are many ends to tie up, but I for one have always wanted to tour the highways of the USA and this would be an incredible way to do it.

I'd treat it as a once in a lifetime chance and would go out of my way to try and be there.

Hopefully others would see it the same way.