Author Topic: AC International in Scotland  (Read 22686 times)

bruce craik

• View Profile
AC International in Scotland
« on: June 19, 2012, 09:34:31 »
Had a brilliant International based on Dunkeld, so thanks to everyone who played a part in it but particularly to Jacqui and Howard.

When you watch this movie of the Rest and Be Thankful please remember that the skid plates on a CRS are the silencers...hence the time...

Rest and Be Thankful
   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdZ8y4cSExM

But is there a slower time?

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2012, 14:03:40 »
Complete suspension rebuild?

Gus

MkIV Lux

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2012, 14:55:49 »
Yes, a great event! Thanks to Howard and Jacqui, and their crew!

A wonderful and happy motoring in the MkIV over 9 days and 3745 kms.

Here are two pics of the hill climb track. Historic start was half way up the hill. Howard just waiting his turn in his blue Greyhound.
   Constant

MkIV Lux

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2012, 15:00:28 »

DGoose

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2012, 15:37:54 »
Amazing how the camera flattens the landscape, seemed much steeper in the real.
   Blue Greyhound is that of John Goose, Ace Brooklands in front of Greyhound is that of the younger Goose - I can advise that the modern Ace, like the MK1V & CRS, is not ideally suited to dirt track driving !!

All in all a great experience.

MkIV Lux

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2012, 16:28:13 »
quote:
Originally posted by DGoose

Amazing how the camera flattens the landscape, seemed much steeper in the real.
   Blue Greyhound is that of John Goose, Ace Brooklands in front of Greyhound is that of the younger Goose - I can advise that the modern Ace, like the MK1V & CRS, is not ideally suited to dirt track driving !!

All in all a great experience.

thanks David for correcting the car ownership.. did not have my attendance list at hand [:I]

indeed, in the MkIV it was just going up in idling mode, for the sake of having been part of it!

Flyinghorse

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2012, 18:35:46 »
Lunch at Loch Fyne

Graham

Flyinghorse

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2012, 23:26:56 »
And a few more:
   LM5000 at rest & be thankful

Balmoral-hope no oil leaks....

Balmoral

Rest and be thankful

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2012, 01:12:22 »
Stunning!!

Gus

jrlucke

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2012, 03:35:27 »
And here in the states we think we have it tough when we have to drive narrow California backroads from winery to winery!

There are obviously not trailer queens!

John

shep

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2012, 11:15:56 »
One of the biggest benefits of the ACOC Internationals, is the chance to share some spectacular experiences as a group, and then to sit down on a different table each night to discuss the day, and make new friends. Being far from home with 50 year old cars, creates the opportunity to help each other out, which forges lifelong friendships. In Scotland we had one clutch fixed, a couple of leaks, an exhaust mount fractured and fell off, a coil went down, etc etc. Each time one or more of the group set to and fixed the problem and kept the cars on the tour. The Rest and Be Thankful Hillclimb was a bit of a rally special stage with its loose surface, but several of the cars gave it a serious go! We all contributed money to the group which is restoring the track to its former glory, and one day we hope to see it used for serious competitions. So far we do not have a venue for the 2013 ACOC International. Are there any volunteers who would like to give it a try. We have many members who have been there and organised previous events, and who will give any help required! Somewhere warm would be nice. Andy.

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2012, 15:14:46 »
Going to Scotland and calling it an international is a bit of a stretch...[;)]But hearing the Scottish soccer fans speak of the English the last time I visited Amsterdam's illustrious "district" certainly would underscore that perspective from their side! No words minced there! [:D]

Anyway, why not an "international" in the US? Maybe tied in with a major event such as one of the major concourses? I suppose there are more than a few State side members that would enjoy that.. Maybe a good reason for some of the UK fellows to ship their cars and do an extended vacation here, driving their cars... Michigan and Wisconsin have fabulous summers with incredible driving roads, small towns and we could end up or stage it surrounding the Road America vintage race fest in July (one of the largest in the US with 1000 registered cars). Or drive Colorado, staging from the Shelby American Museum in Boulder. Or California and be part of the Monterrey peninsula extravaganza in August. Pacific Coast Highway is spectacular and I'm sure Napa and Sonoma would have an appeal to a lot of us! (maybe no Bishop's finger there, Trevor)

Just some thoughts.. Any ideas?

Gus

MkIV Lux

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2012, 15:27:12 »
quote:
Originally posted by Gus Meyjes

Going to Scotland and calling it an international is a bit of a stretch...[;)].......

Anyway, why not an "international" in the US? ........ Maybe a good reason for some of the UK fellows to ship their cars and do an extended vacation here.....

Gus

that would be another bit of a stretch .... for the wallet [;)] ....  but good idea though [:)]

BBK

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2012, 20:32:30 »
I second Gus' thoughts on a U.S. get together.  I would be up for a mid-west get together or here in California (where I am), as Gus mentions, would be terrific in August for the Monterey Historics.  Understanding Mk IV Lux's comments that the "wallet" impact would be steep.....

shep

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2012, 22:16:18 »
I would love to ship an AC over and enjoy the US roads. Hey Gus, the trip to Scotland took me just 3 hrs less than it takes me to drive to Monaco!! Scotland is certainly International! For the US International, if we asked Jim F nicely, I think he has enough ACs to kit us all out and then we would only need the air fare. I know Bill Bridges can't make the ACOC National Day at Stonor on 19th August because he is taking his Hairy Canary Cobra to Laguna Seca. I will find out how much it costs and what are the problems driving one of our pollution generators on US roads.It sounds like a long shot, but never say never! Andy