Author Topic: Sports Car Mag. May 1962 – AC Cobra article  (Read 11087 times)

Classicus

• View Profile
Sports Car Mag. May 1962 – AC Cobra article
« on: May 22, 2009, 18:52:41 »
Whilst Googling - not sure if this is common knowledge....? [:)]

http://www.metaphorsinmotion.com/posts/19-Carroll-Shelby-s-260-cubic-inch-AC-Cobra

henryst

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2009, 21:23:16 »
I always feel grateful to those who exhume such articles, so, thank you Classicus. Reading the article got the memory going. Some 20 years ago I knew a chap named John Gibson who did indeed campaign a Chevrolet engined Ace, I think in the late '50s. I don't think he had much success. Also, just on an historical point, a question. I am sure Shelby approached another manufacturer prior to AC. Can anyone give details?
   Peter

A-Snake

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2009, 22:18:35 »
Yes, he went to GM. Short story...he purchased three Corvette chassis, sent to Carrozzeria Scaglietti. Three bodies/cars built. "Higher ups" in GM killed the deal, why compete with their own Corvette. Cars still exist known as Scaglietti-built Corvette.

http://www.michaelmccafferty.com/mmmvette.htm

Aceca289

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2009, 00:48:23 »
quote:
Originally posted by henryst

I always feel grateful to those who exhume such articles, so, thank you Classicus. Reading the article got the memory going. Some 20 years ago I knew a chap named John Gibson who did indeed campaign a Chevrolet engined Ace, I think in the late '50s. I don't think he had much success. Also, just on an historical point, a question. I am sure Shelby approached another manufacturer prior to AC. Can anyone give details?
   Peter

I see you got a response to your question. Here is a quick story about AC being approached by another person to use a Chevy 283 in a production AC.

There were many early attempts (prior to Shelby) to place V8’s in AC’s. The earliest one I know of is an ACECA (AEX566) in which a Chevy 283 fitted in 1957. Apparently the owner approached AC with the idea of using a 283 in their cars and they were interested in the concept, but that’s as far as it went. The full story on AEX566 can be found in Rinsey Mills new book (AC six Cylinder Sports Cars in Detail). I have spoken to the guy who owns this car and it still has the chevy 283 as installed in 1957. I understand that an ACE was fitted with a Chevy 283 around the same time and raced (in the Southern US - I believe). The car was nicknamed the CORVACE. This may be the ACE you mentioned. It is the history of our cars which makes up a big part of owning an AC!

John
   AEX521

bex316

• View Profile
    • BEX316
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2009, 12:42:23 »
Could the CORVACE have been BEX327 which was shipped without engine and gearbox from the factory in June 1957 heading for Virginia?
   As far as I kow it was fitted with a Chevrolet V8 early on in its life, possibly from the start since it still needed an engine.

Jerry

aex125

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2009, 16:38:37 »
I think the Corvace was a different car than BEX327. Here is a link to a Club Cobra thread that has some pics of the Corvace (page 1, 2, and 3 all have pics) and it shows the Corvace with a special hood, no side vents, and is also missing the fender flares that BEX327 has.

http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94884&highlight=corvace

Jay