Author Topic: An ACOC track day? Are you interested? Ideas?  (Read 17711 times)

TLegate

• View Profile
An ACOC track day? Are you interested? Ideas?
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2009, 17:25:34 »
Bring beer and oxygen. A priest might be useful as well....

24 hours on a bicycle. As if! Do I look that stupid (answers please)

1984MkIV

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2009, 18:24:22 »
quote:
Originally posted by Trevor Legate

Bring beer and oxygen. A priest might be useful as well....

24 hours on a bicycle. As if! Do I look that stupid (answers please)

Never saw your face ... (quite diplomatic, isn´t it?)[:D].

To add some information: The better ones (not the best ones) need 50 minutes for a lap. This is about 600 km within 24 hours. A more faszinating fact is, that you have to climb more than 8 km in height! Usually the cyclists participate in teams, but there are a few who do it alone ......

Mark-Anthony

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2009, 15:19:08 »
Sorry to be a bore but . . .

Is there going to be any sort of track day?

Mark-Anthony
   CRS #22

1984MkIV

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2009, 18:09:49 »
As far as I know there are track days on the GP course, I don´t know how about the Nordschleife (sorry, bicycles of course).
   I´ll try to get some information. I think the cost of the track (and availability) will be the key point.
   Another suggestion is the "Crois en Ternois" circuit near Arras, France. We had some track days there on the bike - organised by a german Ducati club. I saw posters of Cobra´s racing there ([xx(]fakes...). It´s not that far from the Island, I remember a lot of british riders there including Alan Cathcart. The only thing - it´s a "Mickey Mouse" course and there is not much space to spin ...

Michael

C9OBY

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2009, 21:50:24 »
Hello all

I've just returned from leave and a quick skim of emails shows a number of emails from people over the last week, notably in response to my posting in ACtion magazine that has brought the track-day to the attention to many who've not been tracking the forum.

As soon as I've collated all responses and summarised various options I'll re-post full details here.  Mark-Anthony, to answer your last question, I certainly hope so!

Bruce

C9OBY

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2009, 11:48:35 »
Latest news as follows:

Many thanks to all of you that have expressed support for the inaugural ACOC track day that I'm trying to get up and running.

Participants so far: AC owners confirmed to date include Andy Shepherd, Bob Langley, Bruce Claassen, Clive Robertson, Ian Rogers, John Abel, John Evans, John Goose, John Littman, Keith Jecks, Keith Lessiter, Mark-Anthony Conti, Mike Berrisford, Matt Feltham, Richard Yaxley, Robin Woolmer (will help but not drive), Tim Mercer.  Cars so far include a mix of MKIV's ('stock', Lightweight, CRS's, Superblower), Greyhound, Ace's, Brooklands, Morgan +8.  Note that we do appear to have an unusually high number of Johns participating....

Whilst the AC turnout has been lower than initially hoped, I am assured that many signed-up participants have other friends in non-AC classics that would be very keen to join in with us, thereby helping us raise numbers above the magic "20 entrants" that we need to make this economically viable.  Personally, a few classic e-types, Ferrari's, Healey's, Morgans etc would be a great addition and add colour to the field.  I would hope that we would end up with between 20-30 cars in total.

Track: I am mid-way through negotiating a price for Castle Coombe for a "6-car day", allowing 6 cars on track at any one time.  I'll post detailed once finalised and agreed.

Cost: Without wanting to jinx negotiations, I am hoping to secure around £160-£200 per car track fees.  Obviously, more cars = lower cost per person.  Passengers incur no additional cost.

Noise: Castle Coombe operates a 100dbs limit.  Get those baffles ready!

Dates: Potential dates will be distributed to all interested parties via email once received from Castle Coombe, with the actual date chosen being the one that suits the most attendees.  It is likely that we will end up doing Thursday or Friday, with some people keen to spend the evening in a nearby hotel the night before.

If you haven't yet raised your hand but are keen to join, it's not too late!  It's already promising to be a fantastic day out with a great bunch of enthusiasts.  Email me at bruce.claassen@omg.co.uk

Watch this space....

Bruce

Mark-Anthony

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2009, 10:22:33 »
Bruce

Many thanks for the update.  If I can help in any way then please don't hesitate to get in contact (mac666@sky.com).

I think that Alan Faulkner-Stevens is more than likely to be game-on, I'll call and harass him.

If it does go ahead then I, being a clueless-track-day-virgin, will need some help: do I need racing harnesses? do I need helmets, gloves, basic equipment (not that I'd do a track without them but . . .), racing licence? driving licence? Insurance? etc etc.

Trust we'll get a day on the track in the end

Regards

Mark-Anthony

TLegate

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2009, 10:45:06 »
Insurance? Oh yes.

Gus Meyjes

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2009, 00:59:04 »
Your tracks are expensive! $3000 US for Grattan by grand Rapids or Gingerman by South Haven. Great tracks to suit the AC(short and twisty)
   For the 7K pounds you're gonna spend over there, you can put 20 cars on a boat and have a track day in Michigan, then drive on to the Kohler International Challenge historic races at Road America!

Gus

cobham cobra

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2009, 11:34:47 »
Now that sounds like a good idea[8D]

C9OBY

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2009, 18:09:39 »
quote:
Originally posted by Mark-Anthony

If it does go ahead then I, being a clueless-track-day-virgin, will need some help: do I need racing harnesses? do I need helmets, gloves, basic equipment (not that I'd do a track without them but . . .), racing licence? driving licence? Insurance? etc etc.

Mark-Anthony

Racing harnesses are not a requirement of the circuit (car just needs to be road worthy with current MOT etc) but are preferable if you don't want to spend half the time sitting over the transmission tunnel!  From personal experience, getting the harnesses fitted is well worth the effort.
   No racing license required, but you do need to bring your full driving license with you.
   Formal racing clothes are not required (gloves, suit, boots), but you will do an appropriate race-approved helmet.
   You do need to carry a fire extinguisher (I had a portable one wedged behind my seat which was given the green light).

Insurance - definitely required for peace of mind, but not required by the circuit.  I simply attached track cover to my existing annual insurance which covers any track damage incurred up to 25% value of the car.  I am sure that there are a number of different policies to choose from, at a price.  The one I mention above cost me £50 (more cover equals more cost - pick your point of comfort!).

I'll ensure that full details/requirements are included when received from the track and am certaint that there are many people who will be more than happy to help 'break you in' on your first track experience!

Bruce

C9OBY

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2009, 13:06:03 »
Good news,

Castle Coombe has confirmed a discounted price for a 6-car event on the following dates:

28th August, 11th Sept, 8th Oct, 22nd Oct, 23rd Oct.

Costs will work out at between £125 and £220 depending on the number of participants.

To date, I have 17 people on the list, each of whom I've just emailed full details.  I need everyone to reply with available dates so that I can get this all tied down, so please do not delay.

If you are keen to join but have not yet made contact, please do so asap - there is still time to get in on the action!

Regards
   Bruce

MkIV Lux

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2009, 12:14:03 »
Hi Bruce,

Good initiative. This would offer the opportunity for me to get to know some UK tracks.
   I often use track days organized here on the continent either by historic race organizations of which I am a member, or by Club Lotus France. This includes tracks like Spa-Francorchamps, Nürburgring F1, Magny-Cours F1, Dijon-Prenois, Charade, LeMans-Bugatti, Mas du Clos, Pau-Arnos etc.
   Prices per participant (about 40-50 per day split generally in 3 groups), giving between 1.5 to 2.5 net hours of driving, in 20-30 minute sessions, range from 100 to 250 € per day. Been to Spa 2 weeks ago for 1.5 hours at 200 € (the track almost belonged to me as we were less than 10 cars in the session) and will be back there end of the month at a cost of 180 € for 2.5 hours of driving pleasure. This includes full surveillance and marshals.
   So book me on! I can bring 2 historic Loti or the MkIV - this meets all noise limits :-)
   See you next week at Brooklands.

Constant

C9OBY

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2009, 20:59:26 »
Dear all, a quick update on the ACOC track day.

We've a fantastic mix of cars lined up for the event, including a number of AC's (MKIV Cobras, AC Ace, Greyhound) and non-AC cars (Bristol 401's, MG's, E-types, Alfa etc).  Cheques are already making their way through my post box and we'll shortly be posting payment to Castle Coombe.

Numbers have settled at 27 people (2 last minute pull-outs) leaving a few spaces for any last minute entrants.  Cost is currently £145 for the day (any over/under costs to be calculated at at the end based, on final participants) making this an incredibly good value-for-money opportunity to spend a far more time on track than your typical track day (...unrestricted access from 9am to 4pm, subject to max 6 cars on track at one time with 1-hr mid-day lunch break).

In case anyone out there is still considering joining, please note that the purpose of the event is to provide everyone with a safe, non-competitive opportunity to test themselves and their cars within their own comfort limits.  Everyone that has signed up is conscious of the importance of respecting other track users, driving safely, and most importantly having fun alongside other classic car enthusiasts.  For some, this will be their first track day.  Others who've done this sort of thing many times before have indicated their willingness to give instruction/advice on the day to whomever is interested. Hence, it promises to be a very enjoyable day for everyone involved!

So don't be afraid to join us!  I can be contacted at bruce.claassen@omg.co.uk

Regards
   Bruce