Author Topic: An ACOC track day? Are you interested? Ideas?  (Read 17700 times)

C9OBY

• View Profile
An ACOC track day? Are you interested? Ideas?
« on: May 05, 2009, 19:08:42 »
Hello all

At last weeks AGM it was proposed that an ACOC track day would be welcomed by many owners, giving us the opportunity to safely use our cars to their max potential alongside other AC enthusiasts in a social, non-timed environment.  Being very keen myself, I indicated that I would be happy to help organise an event, assuming that there is indeed support and enthusiasm for this event.

Before moving forward and scouting possible locations, dates etc, I would like to gauge interest.  Options available to us would depend on the number of participants, amount that people are willing to spend (i.e. track fee) and timing (base case assumption is that it would be a mid-week event, requiring people to take the necessary leave from work if required).

The best option would be to have 15-20 AC members and their cars book a track for exclusive ACOC use for a day.  Without having done any research on definitive costs, ballpark cost to rent a track for the day of £2000 (an indicative amount, based purely on hearsay) would then be divided across all participants (obvious benefit: more participants results in lower cost per car).  Whilst I would expect most members to participate in an AC, I would suggest that if people have another classic/similar car that they would like to use, this would also be considered.  Indeed, likeminded friends in similar machinery could also be invited to increase numbers, on the basis that they too were of a similar mindset.  I am sure that there are a selection of E-types, Austin Healeys, Ferraris etc that could be tempted onto a track alongside ACs!

A different option would be to link into another clubs event (or standalone commercial event), book the necessary slots for our cars, and then co-participate.  This would be a good option if we cannot guarantee sufficient numbers to book and pay for an AC-only event.  One possible downside risk of this option is the risk of ending up mid-field to a number of aggressive 'hot-hatch' racers not familiar with slightly more genteel classic machinery.

In summary, depending on the level of support from ACOC owners, I will initiate the investigation of dates, venues etc.  I would welcome suggestions from anyone, but would expect that the venue needs to be a reasonable driving distance from London (Brands Hatch, Goodwood, Castle Coombe to name a few I've already been to) to attract maximum participants.  This does not exclude other events from taking place further north, but would then require someone other than myself to organise the event as I am based in London.

Hence can you please vote with your replies to this thread or email me personally at bruce.claassen@omg.co.uk

Please include the following:
   - Preferred venue (suggestions also welcome)
   - Preferred day-of-the-week (Mon-Fri)
   - Indicative price range that you would expect / be willing to pay for track fees
   - The car that you would be likely to use
   - Any other suggestions / recommendations you may have!

Last but not least, I would encourage everyone with an interest to respond.  I have volunteered myself to assist/arrange this, but can only move forward if there is active support from the ACOC membership.  Please help me make this a real event that could hopefully become a firm annual fixture(s) for our club.

Regards
   Bruce

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009, 01:46:59 »
Bruce

Put my name down as a Interested Participant, Obviously in BEX333.

See you at The Parrot? .... ... R U going to Prescott next Sunday ??
   Give me a call or email

Cheers 4 Now

Keith

shep

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2009, 13:27:09 »
Well done for taking the initiative. Count me in too, and if anyone wants some help with lines, braking points etc, I'll be happy to help either before or on the day. Venue day and time are flexible for me. Vehicle depends on noise restrictions. I can bring a Mk IV down to a 1300cc Locost, and prices at approx £200 sound reasonable.

I'll keep an eye out for developments, Andy.

DGoose

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009, 17:36:59 »
Hi Bruce

Put me down as a probable, not sure for how many laps the ME would stay put together but would love to give it a go.

As a guide price Christopher Darwin organises charity track days at Goodwood & Snetterton at £180 for the whole day, £100 for half the day.

David

C9OBY

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2009, 21:12:52 »
quote:
Originally posted by DGoose

Hi Bruce

Put me down as a probable, not sure for how many laps the ME would stay put together but would love to give it a go.

As a guide price Christopher Darwin organises charity track days at Goodwood & Snetterton at £180 for the whole day, £100 for half the day.

David

Hi David, thanks for your reply and the info on Goodwood & Snetterton.  I think having an ME on the track would be fantastic!  Do you have any contacts at those tracks that I could approach with an AC proposal?

To date I've had great interest from some of our club regulars and two new members.  I'll be seeing some more members at this weekends Surrey meet at the Parrot where I hope to enlist a few more participants.

Regards
   Bruce

Mark-Anthony

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2009, 19:42:17 »
I'm game

Sorry I found this so late.

Is it still on?

Mark-Anthony

keithjecks

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2009, 20:07:47 »
I am gane too, but suspect it is not going to be viable. The cost to rent a cicuit is much higher than you have been told - you are looking at £10,000 minimum up to £35,000 for Silverstone. The other issue is noise - many circuits have a noise limit that cars like Cobras couldn't meet

Ian Rogers

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2009, 21:35:09 »
Bruce - sincere apologies for my delay in response. I know that these things take a lot of time to organise. I would love to participate in whatever car happens to be working at the time. I personally would favour Goodwood and maybe Bob Langley with his contacts could help re cost wise (sorry  for landing that with you Bob!) Also I am sure that The Surrey Chapter of the ACOC at the next meet could be tempted to join in the fun.

quote:
Originally posted by C9OBY

Hello all

At last weeks AGM it was proposed that an ACOC track day would be welcomed by many owners, giving us the opportunity to safely use our cars to their max potential alongside other AC enthusiasts in a social, non-timed environment.  Being very keen myself, I indicated that I would be happy to help organise an event, assuming that there is indeed support and enthusiasm for this event.

Before moving forward and scouting possible locations, dates etc, I would like to gauge interest.  Options available to us would depend on the number of participants, amount that people are willing to spend (i.e. track fee) and timing (base case assumption is that it would be a mid-week event, requiring people to take the necessary leave from work if required).

The best option would be to have 15-20 AC members and their cars book a track for exclusive ACOC use for a day.  Without having done any research on definitive costs, ballpark cost to rent a track for the day of £2000 (an indicative amount, based purely on hearsay) would then be divided across all participants (obvious benefit: more participants results in lower cost per car).  Whilst I would expect most members to participate in an AC, I would suggest that if people have another classic/similar car that they would like to use, this would also be considered.  Indeed, likeminded friends in similar machinery could also be invited to increase numbers, on the basis that they too were of a similar mindset.  I am sure that there are a selection of E-types, Austin Healeys, Ferraris etc that could be tempted onto a track alongside ACs!

A different option would be to link into another clubs event (or standalone commercial event), book the necessary slots for our cars, and then co-participate.  This would be a good option if we cannot guarantee sufficient numbers to book and pay for an AC-only event.  One possible downside risk of this option is the risk of ending up mid-field to a number of aggressive 'hot-hatch' racers not familiar with slightly more genteel classic machinery.

In summary, depending on the level of support from ACOC owners, I will initiate the investigation of dates, venues etc.  I would welcome suggestions from anyone, but would expect that the venue needs to be a reasonable driving distance from London (Brands Hatch, Goodwood, Castle Coombe to name a few I've already been to) to attract maximum participants.  This does not exclude other events from taking place further north, but would then require someone other than myself to organise the event as I am based in London.

Hence can you please vote with your replies to this thread or email me personally at bruce.claassen@omg.co.uk

Please include the following:
   - Preferred venue (suggestions also welcome)
   - Preferred day-of-the-week (Mon-Fri)
   - Indicative price range that you would expect / be willing to pay for track fees
   - The car that you would be likely to use
   - Any other suggestions / recommendations you may have!

Last but not least, I would encourage everyone with an interest to respond.  I have volunteered myself to assist/arrange this, but can only move forward if there is active support from the ACOC membership.  Please help me make this a real event that could hopefully become a firm annual fixture(s) for our club.

Regards
   Bruce

nikbj68

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2009, 03:19:07 »
What a shame most of you are at the 'wrong end' of the world, as my local track, the ANGLESEY CIRCUIT is a fantastic race course,
   (as used extensively by Channel 5`s Fifth Gear and would be much more affordable than Keith`s projected figures!

(ClickPic for Circuit Map.)

1984MkIV

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2009, 13:38:15 »
What a shame most of you are at the 'wrong end' of the world, as my local track is a fantastic race course!

Michael

Robin A Woolmer

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2009, 13:58:22 »
Goodwood Track hire full day is Approx £7000 in Summer & Approx £4000 winter including VAT which includes marchals & Jacky Stewart room  & also believe training/instruction is given etc
   So you would need say 35 cars @ £200 each for the day! or 20 cars in the winter to cover the cost.
   Hope this gives some idea of the cost.

Robin

nikbj68

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2009, 18:40:08 »
quote:
Originally posted by 1984MkIV: What a shame most of you are at the 'wrong end' of the world, as my local track is a fantastic race course!...Michael

OK!!! YOU win!  [8D]

BUT...Can you hire the `Ring, as a group, or must you just turn up & pay your €23 or whatever per lap?

1984MkIV

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2009, 22:52:21 »
quote:
BUT...Can you hire the `Ring, as a group, or must you just turn up & pay your €23 or whatever per lap?

As far as I know, you can. Some years ago I joined an event which was held by Lucas Automotive (former Lucas girling). They invited their employees and customers to have a ride on the Nordschleife - on the bicycle! It was really impressive to see hundreds of cyclists on the Döttinger Höhe straight, when we started. You are really fast on the bicycle going down the Fuchsröhre. My friend clocked 84 kph on a mountain bike and I was even faster with small racing tyres! You have to have a really perfect line at Ex-Mühle, if you want to take the left hander without the use of the brake.
   Shortly after that, you reach the deepest point of the circuit. Then up it goes again at 10 to 12 % for about 5 km. Your muscles get harder and harder and nearly cramp when you have passed the Karussel and go up to Hohe Acht at 16 % (!). Being there again and again you think "This is really a `Grüne Hölle´", even for cyclists.
   Some twenty years ago I attended a drivers school on the Nordschleife for two days. That was really cheap on those days. Then Bernie popped up and bulled the prices. However - to join a drivers school would still be the way I would choose to enjoy the ring.
   If you turn up on a day, when the Ring is open to the public, every time you will meet some poeple from the UK, who want to smell the hell. And every time the Ring will be closed several times, because they have to remove the wrecked vehicles or even the drivers. To run on the Ring during public opening isn´t really enjoyable. Bikes will rush by on the right and on the left and during cornering. Everybody and everything is on the track; they even use "Sprinters" and similar vehicles!
   Car manufacturers still use the Nordschleife for what it was made for: "Versuchs- und Teststrecke".
   As far as I know, the SPA circuit is less costly to rent and big fun anyway. And don´t forget, SPA as well as the RING is historic Cobra ground.
   However, the Nordschleife is the greatest challange available nowadays and really difficult to learn. On a GP course, it only takes some laps to know all the braking points and so on. But I remember when I attended the driving school after two days on the Nordschleife (two times four hours) it still happened, that I asked myself: "Oh, what´s coming up next behind this hilltop"?
   On his first race on the Ring Bob (Bondurant) turned up one week before the race to get to know the track! He really loved the Ring and I just got a "Grüne Hölle" sticker which is ready to be sent to him together with a copy of a Motor Klassik magazine, which includes an article of a meeting at SAC, which I wrote.

TLegate

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2009, 11:17:55 »
I remember when you could hire Goodwood for £400 per day. This makes me Very Old.

Quote: "smell the hell"??? Maybe I'll pass on that one thank you.

1984MkIV

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2009, 16:02:25 »
quote:
Quote: "smell the hell"??? Maybe I'll pass on that one thank you.

Try it on a bicycle! There is even a 24 h race for bicycles on the Ring. Shall I send you an application form for this autumn´s event?
   You have to climb 300 m per lap! I´ll await you at the Döttinger Höhe with a Six Pack of beer![:D]

Michael