AC Owners Club Forum > Recent ACs

Two new models

<< < (2/4) > >>

paho:
Hi Terry,
can't wait to see the August Action. 'Fraid they'll have to send me the parts, if I could afford them.
Sweden's in lockdown, the rest of Europe can travel to us (except for the Finns I think) but we can't travel to them, very strange!
BR /Paho

GSouthee:
Really a 4 pot and an electric "Cobra" surely by essence a Cobra is a V8 lazy rumbling beast. Yes I know the environment, but do Lithium batteries really help, all the mining and how the hell do you dispose of them when done.

Like to see an electric cobra make it to Le Mans, how many stops to charge it? Surely if you want electric buy a scalextric set

As for the 4 pot, AC's have 6 or 8 cylinders. If you want 4 pot buy a kit car.

These will dilute the Cobra name.

G

dkp_cobra:

--- Quote from: GSouthee on July 08, 2020, 10:29:32 ---...Yes I know the environment, but do Lithium batteries really help, all the mining and how the hell do you dispose of them when done....

--- End quote ---
Mining is not a big problem. For the Tesla S with 85kWh battery pack the battery contains approx. 7 kg pure lithium (https://www.researchgate.net/post/What_is_the_content_of_pure_lithium_eg_kg_kWh_in_Li-ion_batteries_used_in_electric_vehicles). With approx. 2000l water consumption for mining 1 kg lithium we use 14.000l water for the Tesla 85D battery (https://www.wired.co.uk/article/lithium-batteries-environment-impact: 500.000 gallons per ton lithium = 1892705,89l per ton lithium = 1893 l per kg lithium).
Is it much? Well depends on what you do. To produce one (1 !!!) Jeans you use 8000l (https://www.fluencecorp.com/blue-jeans-water-footprint/). So instead of two jeans you can produce enough lithium for your Tesla S85D. The production of one pound beef uses 1799 gallon water (https://foodtank.com/news/2013/12/why-meat-eats-resources/). That means 1kg meet needs approx. 15000 l water. So, instead of eating four BigMac's you can mine lithium for a Tesla 85D.
Yes, it is a lot of water for a lithium battery but not compared to other "normal" things in our life.

GSouthee:
Yep I agree with the water element but you seem to have overlooked this part of the 500,000 Gallons.

In South America, the biggest problem is water. The continent’s Lithium Triangle, which covers parts of Argentina, Bolivia and Chile, holds more than half the world’s supply of the metal beneath its otherworldly salt flats. It’s also one of the driest places on earth. That’s a real issue, because to extract lithium, miners start by drilling a hole in the salt flats and pumping salty, mineral-rich brine to the surface.

READ NEXT
A quick guide to solar panels and home batteries in the UK

A quick guide to solar panels and home batteries in the UK
By WIRED

Then they leave it to evaporate for months at a time, first creating a mixture of manganese, potassium, borax and lithium salts which is then filtered and placed into another evaporation pool, and so on. After between 12 and 18 months, the mixture has been filtered enough that lithium carbonate – white gold – can be extracted.

It’s a relatively cheap and effective process, but it uses a lot of water – approximately 500,000 gallons per tonne of lithium. In Chile’s Salar de Atacama, mining activities consumed 65 per cent of the region’s water. That is having a big impact on local farmers – who grow quinoa and herd llamas – in an area where some communities already have to get water driven in from elsewhere.

There’s also the potential – as occurred in Tibet – for toxic chemicals to leak from the evaporation pools into the water supply. These include chemicals, including hydrochloric acid, which are used in the processing of lithium into a form that can be sold, as well as those waste products that are filtered out of the brine at each stage. In Australia and North America, lithium is mined from rock using more traditional methods, but still requires the use of chemicals in order to extract it in a useful form. Research in Nevada found impacts on fish as far as 150 miles downstream from a lithium processing operation.

Mmmm like I said environmentally friendly don't think so, all that for 150 mile range.

rstainer:
As AC's publicity material doesn't name an authorised motor vehicle manufacturer, it could be that DVSA Individual Vehicle Approval (IVA) will be required before road registration. falconelectric.co.uk refers to this in its Milestone 4. Interested parties should check before confirming an order.

RS
(ACOC V765 scheme officer)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version