Author Topic: Help Required with Ace Hardtop  (Read 2328 times)

Salmo

• View Profile
Help Required with Ace Hardtop
« on: June 19, 2020, 12:41:29 »
Hello,

Could anyone with an original factory hardtop send me a few photos of the correct fixings to mount the roof to the car please, I have a one that I'm trying to restore (along with the car) and I'd like to get it right but can't find any photographs on the forum or on the internet.

As always, any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks - Chris

Ron Hollis

• View Profile
Re: Help Required with Ace Hardtop
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2020, 17:34:12 »
Hi Chris,
            I have a neglected flat screen Ace hardtop. At the screen there are three cleverly braised brackets that slide in the screen groove and have a holed flange. At the front of the hardtop there are three corresponding angle brackets bonded to the fibreglass. At the side there are angle brackets that align with the hood stick anchors. At the rear there is an angle bracket screwed to the fibreglass incorporating two holes that align with the central hood "lift the dot" fasteners. It all looks a bit Heath Robinson, see attached motley photos, so may or not be AC; the top is at least 50 years old, sidescreens are AC so it probably is.
 Trust that this isn't confusing
Regards
              Ron   

Ron Hollis

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2020, 17:42:50 »
Hi Chris,
            More photos

Ron Hollis

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2020, 17:45:03 »
And Finally,

Norman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2020, 23:21:57 »
I had a flat-screen hardtop yonks ago (so no pics I'm afraid) and I believe it was a factory effort because it looked very professional – nicely lined etc. At the rear there was a steel bracket with a hole in it corresponding to the hood stick mounting, you put a bolt right the mounting and the bracket, very simple. At the front there were several captive screws which were able to slide in the slot at the top of the windscreen but not turn. Whenthey were slid along to the right positions, their threads would protrude through steel brackets on the front of the hardtop and small nuts could then fitted on top to secure them. As far as I remember, the hardtop did not make use of the over-centre catches on the windscreen.

Hope that helps.