Author Topic: New AC MkVI Gullwing  (Read 49402 times)

cobham cobra

• View Profile
New AC MkVI Gullwing
« on: April 14, 2009, 12:19:18 »
[:D]This is a link to an article on PistonHeads.com http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyId=19735

It says AC Cars is to launch a new version of the Cobra this week in Monaco. The car is to feature a removable hardtop with gullwing doors. The article says the body will be aluminium with composite structural elements. The new MkVI will have air-conditioning an engine from a Corvette and brakes from Porsche.
   The new model is the result of an alliance between AC and Gullwing GmbH and the cars will be built in Heyda Germany.

The news is all over the interweb today, here are a few more links with Mr Lubinsky's quotes.

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/04/13/old-is-new-again-ac-cars-unveils-cobra-mkvi-in-monaco/

http://www.egmcartech.com/2009/04/13/ac-mkvi-recreation-of-the-ac-cobra-being-built-in-germany/

I am saying absolutely nothing[;)]
   I will now make a cup of coffee, sit back and look forward to the comments[:D][:D]

John.

hawk289

• View Profile
New AC MkVI Gullwing
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 12:57:58 »
Interesting, I see it has wheel studs with fack spinners [nice touch!]. Will that car in the picture pass the IVA [new SVA] not sure, needs quite a few changes. So I'm assuming the car in the flesh will be different. Is Lubinsky doing a World tour? Brooklands, Frimley, Normandy, Matlia and now German.

cobham cobra

• View Profile
New AC MkVI Gullwing
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 13:06:59 »
Nope, I'm still saying nothing - just sitting here drinking my coffee - J [:)]

nikbj68

• View Profile
New AC MkVI Gullwing
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 14:45:33 »
quote:
Originally posted by cobham cobra

Nope, I'm still saying nothing - just sitting here drinking my coffee - J [:)]

Lucky for you...I just spat mine all over the keyboard!!![B)][:0]

Not EVERYBODY seems too impressed with the prospect of the MkVI though, see The Truth About Cars website for example. [xx(]

SB7019

• View Profile
New AC MkVI Gullwing
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2009, 14:59:47 »
The exposed boot hinges are another nice touch!!

nikbj68

• View Profile
New AC MkVI Gullwing
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2009, 15:24:11 »
quote:
Originally posted by SB7019

The exposed boot hinges are another nice touch!!

On a positive note, no-one will ever get to see them for real!

cobham cobra

• View Profile
New AC MkVI Gullwing
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2009, 15:44:34 »
Nope, still not saying anything.
   And I'm especially not going to say anything about the luggage rack that was such a prominent feature of the MkV. I certainly wouldn't make any comment about using it as a roof-rack because it would limit the gullwing doors............and look silly.....but then again.....[;)]

jbottini

• View Profile
New AC MkVI Gullwing
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2009, 17:19:52 »
The body shape cannot be denied though as one of the best and most copied ever...Congrats Messrs Hurlock

Mark IV

• View Profile
New AC MkVI Gullwing
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2009, 18:11:32 »
Trevor, oh Trevor, where for art thou??????

nikbj68

• View Profile
New AC MkVI Gullwing
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2009, 21:17:35 »
quote:
Originally posted by Mark IV Trevor, oh Trevor, where for art thou??????

He`s beggared off, allegedly working, for a week!
   Now we all know he`s a gentleman of (much)leisure...[;)]

terry3000me

• View Profile
New AC MkVI Gullwing
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2009, 01:34:33 »
Well I hope it turns into something positive, lets see if at Monaco tomorrow there is a car to show-off and not just the images we have seen in the Press Release.
   It's a shame several of the previous threads are so cynical, ok  we know the history but what we don't know is the deal with the Germans. Let's wait and see..........

Terry

duggan

• View Profile
New AC MkVI Gullwing
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2009, 08:43:43 »
I'm just amazed at the vitriolic posts over on Pistonheads about AC and the MkIV onwards and how the build-quality of the cars is no better than a competant spanner-man & how they are not real AC Cobra's - what bunkum - do people seriously think a buyer is going to be hoodwinked into buying a +50k GBP car by the shining light bathed by the AC name & forgo poor quality workmanship - I think not…..

nikbj68

• View Profile
New AC MkVI Gullwing
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2009, 10:26:59 »
I find it strange that there is no announcement on the Official AC Cars website about anything to do do with a MkVI, and I found this, from Dave Brookes, who builds Dax replicas for a living:

quote:
Dave Brookes on Pistonheads
   "The cheeky bu66ers, the rear screen in their pictures is one that I own the tooling for, even the heated screen electrical connections are visible, and the cut out in the top of the blackout perimiter is still there.
   There is only one place in the world you can buy those screens from...... Me, and they haven't been anywhere near. )
   Someone did contact my manufacturer a few weeks ago to buy 5, but they were shown the door.
   Some serious Photoshop work there, even the body is a Dax and the wheels are image split rims.
   It just looks like a mix of the GD top, the Cobratops top and my top all mixed together."

So personally, I don`t believe there is a finished car to be seen in Monaco, only these computer renderings of a modified Dax!!![:(!]

Whilst the quality of build for cars such as the 212, Superblower or CRS should be classed with the MkIV, the MkV is a significantly different matter, and as you said :" ...do people seriously think a buyer is going to be hoodwinked into buying a +50k GBP car by the shining light bathed by the AC name & forgo poor quality workmanship - I think not..."
   Nobody IS buying the MkV, for exactly that reason. How many times did we see them punted on eBay, not even making the reserves of $15,000. See This MkV thread about the 'no-sale' at Coys & Clive Sutton lumbered with cars that just won`t shift.

Please don`t get me wrong. I would LOVE AC Cars to be resurrected with a good car, a good name, and a good future, but IT AIN`T GONNA HAPPEN with that man running the show. Sorry.

cobham cobra

• View Profile
New AC MkVI Gullwing
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2009, 11:33:13 »
Well I've made a fresh cup of coffee and look forward to today's comments. So when is Trevor back ?[;)]

BTW - have you heard the one about "how do you make a Maltese cross?"

Mark IV

• View Profile
New AC MkVI Gullwing
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2009, 12:40:42 »
I'm confused???? Do these "Mk VI" cars replace the Michigan built alloy cars or the new "Old Ace" replicas? Why no Propane powered Aussie six-bangers like he announced some years back (when he was also gonna import Falcon Utes to the UK under the "Verity" or some such brand?) Why is Shelby no longer buying alloy body/chassis units? Certainly not because the skilled workers have all been made redundant after working without full paychecks?

Will the income from these cars allow the final payments from the 2001/2002 CVA to go to the vendors? Will the deposit taken for a replacement MK IV front clip from a former forum member be repaid? Will the judgements and liens from the Frimly works be settled? I for one am confident!![?]