Author Topic: AC thermostat bulb and capillary  (Read 1806 times)

pjbowman

• View Profile
AC thermostat bulb and capillary
« on: June 13, 2020, 00:40:06 »
I have been unable to get the bulb and capillary thermostat probe removed from my Thermostat housing. Two questions:

1. I've been told it is just a press fit, is this truly the case? I am unable to press it out even after soaking in penetration oil, heating the housing, etc.

2. Are replacements available? If so I can just get a new one for my new housing which is on its way.

Hopefully someone can give me answers! Not much luck on getting replies on this forum aa of late.
Peter B.

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
Re: AC thermostat bulb and capillary
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2020, 13:38:53 »

Peter

I dares say you have tried all this, but as you haven't received any help. I will start with my two cents worth>

The thermostat unit is usually  just a  push fit into the housing and it  seats on the recessed ledge. sounds like your unit is corroded and needs gently persuasion,
you will probably destroy the old unit, before using major force or heat treatment,  if it wont twist I either direction try harmonics , e.g vibration transmitted via a tuning fork or similar. this could be enough to break the corrosive seal. just an idea,  I never had one seize  that it wont release with  more gently twist motion.
If your WD40 isn't working you could try soaking with diesel or even dare I say Coka Cola.
 Alternatively put the cap and hose back on and run the engine to get some heat into the housing the have another go at turning the now warm thermostat. wear gloves or  use mole grips  to save scalding your hands when it releases.

Good Luck
Keith

pjbowman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2020, 20:58:06 »
Thanks Keith, I will give everything a try! I may have to cut the housing in half and get it out that way. I'm running out of options and want to get back on the road!
Peter B.

aceaceca

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2020, 07:01:27 »
There are modern thermostats that have the right diameter to fit. If not you can snip it down to the right size.