Author Topic: 1963 Le Mans cars  (Read 12374 times)

henryst

• View Profile
1963 Le Mans cars
« on: April 13, 2009, 21:23:12 »
I hope later this year to start work on models of the two Le Mans cars, CSX 2131 and CSX 2142. My wish is to build these cars in 1963 Le Mans guise.
   As the cars now are, it seems to me that 2131 is pretty much in '64 FIA guise, whilst 2142 is I imagine much as it was in 1963.
   There are a few details about which I am uncertain.
   I have always assumed that both cars had the short bootlid, hinged from the rear, yet I have recently read of a split lid, and have seen at least one photo of such a feature. Should both cars have the single panel?
   Both cars seem to have attachments to the headlamps at Le Mans. Are these detachable stoneguards, or perhaps special lamps?
   The wheels are obviously Dunlop, and I would guess 15". Are the widths known?
   I know AC took factory photos, and have found an image of what I assume to be the dash of 39 PH. Do any other similar 'pre race' or indeed race photos exist.I have found just perhaps half a dozen images on the internet, all low resolution. Of course excellent high quality images of these cars today are there for all to see. Can the present day images of 2142 be taken as accurate for 1963, or indeed for 39 PH? I assume there were differences as they were prepped on differentsides of the Atlantic.
   Any assistance would be appreciated.
   Peter

TLegate

• View Profile
1963 Le Mans cars
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 21:42:15 »
Just about to pack to leave on a photo-shoot for the week but I'll advise re the special headlamps used by AC. As always, the light protectors used in practice were state-of-the-art as you'd expect - paper plates (seriously)

nikbj68

• View Profile
1963 Le Mans cars
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 02:04:46 »
CS2131 was built with the standard shaped boot aperture, but the bootlid was split and hinged from the bottom as well as the top, with the handle latching at the top, as was the 'test' car, CS2130. Obviously, the lesson was learned for CSX2142, and the short, bottom-hinged boot was fitted (as was one of the Le Mans 'replica's, CSX2138). Also, the numberplate lights were mounted vertically, pointing right, to illuminate the race numbers.
   Check out this shot from the AC HERITAGE website.

For Le Mans, 2131 had the 'Rotunda' tacho mounted in the glovebox door, but Willments relocated it to nearly the 'standard' tacho position, just a couple of inches higher(leaving a gaping hole!)
   As Trevor has mentioned, paper plates were used as headlamp guards, but A.F.A.I.K, only 2142 was fitted with spotlights during the race, and also, both cars were fitted with 'nose cowls' for practise/qualifying, but not for the race.
   I also believe that 2142 was prepared at Thames Ditton along side 2130/2131, not Stateside!
   Don`t forget the sponge pad on the door hinge(drivers` knee protection!), either!
   Are you 'scratch' building, or starting from a kit? If you found a racing E-type of the same scale, you would have the right (Dunlop) wheels there!
   We`d love to see photos of these models in due course...
   Hope this has helped.

henryst

• View Profile
1963 Le Mans cars
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 20:29:54 »
Many thanks Trevor and Nik. The link to AC Heritage was a portal to so much information.
   Alas, I am not scratch building as such, more what is termed 'kit bashing'. The basis is a Revell model from I think 1964. This is being considerably modified and then cast in urethane resin. The wheels will be turned from aluminium with resin inserts cast from a machined master, whilst the nuts will be machined from nails....
   I'll keep an eye on the thread for new info, and yes, I will post a few images on the thread once work has progressed a little .
   Thanks again, Peter

nikbj68

• View Profile
1963 Le Mans cars
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2009, 21:57:26 »
quote:
Originally posted by henryst

Many thanks Trevor and Nik. The link to AC Heritage was a portal to so much information.
   Alas, I am not scratch building as such, more what is termed 'kit bashing'. The basis is a Revell model from I think 1964. This is being considerably modified and then cast in urethane resin. The wheels will be turned from aluminium with resin inserts cast from a machined master, whilst the nuts will be machined from nails....
   I'll keep an eye on the thread for new info, and yes, I will post a few images on the thread once work has progressed a little .
   Thanks again, Peter

Maybe not 'scratch', but that`s a significant amount of work. [8D][8D]
   Ironic is the fact that your base model is by Revell, and when my dad raced 2131, he had a
   "REVELL HOME RACEWAY SYSTEM...The Best!" sponsorship/ad! see front wing, below:

In fact, if you browse my CLUB COBRA ALBUM there may well be many pics of use or interest to you.
   Looking forward to your updates,
   Nik.

Louism

• View Profile
1963 Le Mans cars
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2011, 21:07:14 »
Looking at Le Mans 1963 "provisional" entries, 3 cars were expected for the 24 Hours. The Shelby American car driven by Dan Gurney was missing in june.
   Dan Gurney found a wheel driving a Ferrari for NART.

Who can give some details about that withdraw ?

Many thanks
   Louis

Mister Webmaster, could you put that topic back to the new Cobra forum...[;)]