Author Topic: Chassis No: AKS  (Read 7599 times)

jbottini

• View Profile
Chassis No: AKS
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2009, 00:29:35 »
You are correct, the AC Chassis build plate was not done at factory...it should have an "autokraft built under lisence of AC...." as in above photo. somewhere down the road someone wanted an "inflation" done on AK# and perhaps some other type of inflation. The properthing to do might be to consider obtain a premade correct s
   chassis plate from Brooklands to fix the issue.

Tony3603

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2009, 16:50:13 »
The conspiracy theories are flying high. To state that the chassis plate is non original is pure speculation and not based in any known facts. The fact of the matter is that the car in question has all of the Autokraft chassis plates. The real question is why would Autokraft have stamped the chassis plate AKS1439.  To further stir the pot – I’m sure you are all familiar by now with the book “Cobra: The First 40 Years” by Trevor Legate. In that book, in the Autokraft section, is a black and white picture of Brian Angliss next to a RHD AC MkIV which looks very much like my friends car. If two RHD cars were in fact made, then it is a good possible that this car is my friends AC MkIV.
   Conspiracy theorist please provide use with your wisdom!

jbottini

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2009, 17:11:38 »
Trevor, I believe thatBA did NOT make use of AC Chassis plates with Autokraft numbers...is that correct?

nikbj68

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2009, 17:53:48 »
quote:
Originally posted by Tony3603...To state that the chassis plate is non original is pure speculation and not based in any known facts. The fact of the matter is that the car in question has all of the Autokraft chassis plates. The real question is why would Autokraft have stamped the chassis plate AKS1439.

The known facts are that Autokraft didn`t use that type of plate, and didn`t use the 'AKS' prefix.
   It is a known fact that chassis plates like this one are widely available, and frequently used to add authenticity to replicas and it would appear some genuine owner(s) prefered a plate that closer resembles ones used in the 60`s.
   If it has all the Autokraft chassis plates as you mention above, what does it have as the chassis number on the left-hand plate below (with the 'AC Logo' statement)?
   I don`t think anyone is calling the car`s authenticity into question, simply that a later addition isn`t original. [:)]

Tony3603

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2009, 21:40:39 »
OK - I stand corrected.
   Here is the only other pic I have on ID Tags.

Thanks you all for your help.
   Tony AK1202

jbottini

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2009, 14:48:01 »
Tony, Nik is correct, I; anyone else was questioning the existance and AK number of the car. the only item in question was the AK"S" designation which research indicated didn't exist. I take it by your response the plate on the car replaced the original one by Autokraft as the above posts show you.The real item is the use of the AC Cars build plate. Your friend can obtain a new pre numbered build plate from Brooklands if he wishes to in order to properly designate the vehicle