Author Topic: Mystery CRS or MkV?  (Read 3955 times)

nikbj68

• View Profile
Mystery CRS or MkV?
« on: May 29, 2020, 09:18:22 »
Bryan Stone in Bloomington, Illinois, has just acquired a partially assembled car, and asked on Facebookif anyone could identify ‘which kit’ it is. It had been in storage for 10-20 years before he purchased it. He has yet to find a chassis plate,
but I believe it to be a CRS, Some think MkV.
My big question is, was this car stripped, or is this as far as it was assembled?
Any help appreciated!

Flyinghorse

• View Profile
Re: Mystery CRS or MkV?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2020, 14:58:35 »
The dash is Malta (MKV) car,body carbon fibre . I have photos of CRS9536 (last but one) and a silver  Maltese car and red maltese car (file 35 and cob%2011 below).
9536 (img_3761) has a different dash and the later type of CRS instruments.

All CRS I have seen dont have this dash type -more superblower or Maltese car  but this has a carbon body so my money is on it being a MkV Maltese car with the opportunity to assemble it correctly.
I was looking at the silver & red  Maltese cars before I bought my CRS in 2011. One was at Nick Whale(Silver) and Red at Barry Ely sports cars (And still is ) where they also have a CRS for sale.
https://barryelysportscars.co.uk/category/showroom/ac/

Graham

terry3000me

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2020, 23:39:15 »
As far as I recall Malta only made three cars and all were right hand drive.
Nik the image of the plate/sticker from K L Automotive do you know what it is suppose to represent? I ask because I live close by and could always pop round and ask.
Terry

paho

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2020, 05:27:34 »
Hi,
the fate of KL Automotive is explained in the parallel thread opened on this subject: https://www.acownersclub.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=h4a7vp0311afsbg2b7nh4vgda6&topic=9424.msg54784#new

The firm, now called Elite KL, is based in Tamworth. They didn't take their phone number with them apparently.
Are you allowed to travel? We've a limit of upto 2 hours.
BR /Paho
"Blessed are those that don't ask for they shall not receive"

DGoose

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2020, 10:18:07 »
It seems possible that at least one MKV went to the states in component form according to this 2006 article.

https://www.topspeed.com/cars/car-news/ac-mkv-on-its-way-to-america-ar5859.html

MkIV Lux

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2020, 00:19:50 »
Hi all,
Comparing the info here with my records about post Frimley ACs, the red car advertised at Barry Ely's is COB10011 (RHD Mk V Malta 2007). This car has distinctive body features as to the inlaid turn signal and other marker lights front and rear, in exactly the same fashion as the earlier AC212 Lotus engined cars.
The mistery component vehicle Nick shows is different in this respect!

@ Flyinghorse: Can you please check if this feature also exists on the grey car you have photographed. Is it also RHD?

My records show another blue car COB10003 (a LHD component vehicle sold from Malta to the US in 2007).

Further a grey car, the very first Mk V appearing on the scene in the UK in 2006. LHD also. I had seen this myself at the time but was not allowed to take photos of it then. It had appeared with an (ugly) wooden boot rack. I also ignore the chassis number.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2020, 08:09:11 by MkIV Lux »

Flyinghorse

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2020, 22:34:53 »
Constance,
I have been without a pc for a couple of weeks but up and running now.
The Grey car does have the inset rear lights-see attached.
Graham

MkIV Lux

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2021, 20:48:48 »
Thanks Graham for your feedback.
Sorry for not responding earlyer.... been busy travelling mostly on empty French motorways, due to Covid :)
If you have more pics of the grey Mk V, I would appreciate if you could share them by PM to complete the records on post-Frimley ACs.
Constant