Author Topic: Manual advance distributor, dynamo coupling  (Read 1843 times)

galfredus

• View Profile
Manual advance distributor, dynamo coupling
« on: May 28, 2020, 11:46:48 »
Another one from me, different subject so I thought another post - if that's annoying, let me know...

My car is fitted with a distributor rather than a magneto.  I understand this is probably correct for a 1929 car, but the distributor is a later auto-advance type, whereas my car has a manual control lever.  I wonder whether anyone can tell me what is the correct model of distributor for this car?

The Dynamo fabric coupling is very worn and needs to be replaced.  I reckon I should be able to make one easily enough, but what material should I use?  I've found a phenolic cotton laminate, but this will only stand temperatures up to 130C.  I know that should be enough, but it doesn't feel like a huge margin of safety when the engine and dynamo are working hard.  What about Nylon?  That stands higher temperatures and is probably stronger.  Again, any advice gratefully received.

Many thanks,

Geoffrey

Big col

• View Profile
Re: Manual advance distributor, dynamo coupling
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2020, 20:06:29 »
How much flexibility is required. I am not sure that nylon would have enough flex if it is needed.
If it is the type of coupling I suspect.
I might be rough but I’m slow as well.

Big col

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2020, 20:51:01 »
As regards the Dissy, let me have a look at my bits tomorrow. Mine is much later, 1935, but it did have manual A.R.
I will look at the old Dissy and see if it has any identity numbers on it to see if that can help.
Another option may be to contact the Distributor Doctor. He may have listings of the details you require.
I have some pictures of some linkages but not your model. I will try and sort them and send but let’s hope someone can come up with exactly what you need rather than my speculation.
I might be rough but I’m slow as well.

galfredus

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2020, 22:47:04 »
That's really kind. We all know that AC made good use of its parts bin in the 1930s, so I wouldn't be surprised if your 1935 stuff suits my earlier car.

G