Author Topic: MKIV question, help, advice..Rick??  (Read 14167 times)

Jan_AC_MKIV_1227

• View Profile
MKIV question, help, advice..Rick??
« on: October 08, 2006, 16:43:30 »
Hello all,
      I have been driving the car and I think I have now evaluated it, so far, pretty good. One thing though that concerns me.

Symptom:  If I take a slow left turn, it seems like I hear a knocking develop from the driver rear, but it is weird, it feels and sounds like the tire rubbing on the fender, but this would be impossible, wouldn't it??  It is like a rubbery sound / feel, not metal on metal.  Almost like on an old car when  a shock would break.

Once I go straight or I am at speed, I don't hear or feel it, only on a slow turn.

Any ideas, what to physically look for, or worse yet how to fix and get parts !!

Thanks in advance,

Jan

Mark IV

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2006, 16:53:47 »
Could either be a axle spline that needs lube or more likely the Salisbury Pow-R-Lock differential clutches slipping and making noise. They will do this on a slow reasonably tight turn. If it is the diff, drain and replace the fluid and try adding some limited slip "friction modifier' additive. If you aren't sure if the diff has ever been drained and refilled, I suggest doing it. A lot of people with cars that have been through multiple owners and do not have complete service histories should assume that certain maintainence services have NOT been done, i.e. diff service, brake fluid replacement, wheel bearing service, etc. Better to do and not need than not do and need!
   Rick

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2006, 17:15:52 »
Hey Jan ... I asked that question ???? I had the same problem ..read my post.

Ron

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2006, 19:24:47 »
... come to think of it ... Rick you may be right also ... my car made the same sound tht sounded like a limited slip differential noise it turned out to be the outer ebarings ... but I have to say the noise could also be the differential .... can you tell us which lube and if we need a differential additive ???

Jan .. on the top of the outer bearing housing when you take off the wheel look in almost under the rotor there is a grease fitting.  Maybe a little grease will do the trick.  My car made noise at only 7k miles.

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2006, 00:50:59 »
JAn I found the the 12 STEP direction with specs that John Owen emailed me if you or anyone should ever need it I could email it.

Ron

Mark IV

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2006, 01:32:57 »
12 steps......I don't wanna be an alky anymore! It is important to lube ALL the spots on a MK III/MK IV/ Superblower (yeah, I had one for a year)/CRS. The zerk fitting for the rear upright hub bearings can really only be seen with the wheel off but is important. And use good grease, synthetic or moly stuff from a fresh tube (mine was labeled for the Army circa 1942...)

Be a Boy Scout, "be prepared", rather than the grasshopper that did not prepare for winter.

Rick

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2006, 04:34:01 »
12 STEPS !! LOL sounds funny but true ... some where these 12 pages came out of a manual some where ???  I only wish I had the whole manual. But everything is there torque specs ... shim sizes .. they even gave me a large assortment of shims ....  Anyway your right ... all it takes is put it up on the lift once a year and greaser up.

Ron

Mark IV

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2006, 12:23:00 »
quote:
Originally posted by AK3024

... some where these 12 pages came out of a manual some where ???  I

Perhaps out of the Mk III chassis manual circa 1965. They were quite complete for chassis work (and are available as a reproduction) much of the Mk III carries over to the later series.
   Rick

jbottini

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2006, 13:14:40 »
quote:
Originally posted by AK3024

JAn I found the the 12 STEP direction with specs that John Owen emailed me if you or anyone should ever need it I could email it.

Ron

Ron, send to jamesbottini877@msn.com, thanks Jim

MkIV Lux

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2006, 13:54:47 »
Ron, Can you e-mail me a copy of the 12 Step direction?

c.wagner@energolux.lu

Thanks
   Constant

cobham cobra

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2006, 17:30:31 »
Hi Ron,
   Can you email me a copy of the 12 step direction as well please.
   Thanks - John.
   john@moonlightmedia.co.uk

marklotus

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2006, 23:09:32 »
Could you please also email me the info?  I would also appreciate Mr. Owem's email as I am still trying to source the steering shaft bushing and he may be able to help.  AK1121 will appreciate any help.  Mark

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2006, 23:23:43 »
Ok guys sent it ...marklotus ?? need your email.

Ron

marklotus

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2006, 03:34:35 »
sorry. It's m_terlecky@yahoo.com. Thank you. Mark

Jan_AC_MKIV_1227

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2006, 03:06:52 »
Ron,
     Can you email it to me?  jjjuconn92@yahoo.com.  I have been in calif. this week, just catching up.

Thanks,
   Jan