Author Topic: How to open the 428 Bonnet  (Read 9912 times)

musicman

• View Profile
How to open the 428 Bonnet
« on: February 19, 2009, 16:15:48 »
Hi to all, I have CF 48 and one week ago, we were taking some photo's of the engine and the car, my friend closed the bonnet on the car and now I have a problem which has not happened to me before.
   When I turn the bonnet opening handle under the dash nothing happens and the bonnet remains completely closed. We have tried to push the bonnet down on both sides whilst turning the handle but with no success.
   Has anyone else had this problem and what is the solution?
   All help and idea's would be appreciated.
   Leo Archibald

Emmanueld

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 22:52:14 »
Mine has a cable which connect the lever to the latches. With the car on a lift, remove front wheels and behind the wheels panels, this should give you access to the latches which you can then pull manually to unlatch. Never had to do it though!

Emmanuel

musicman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 16:22:48 »
Hi Emmanuel,
   Thanks for the info and your idea, all is ok, when we put the car on a ramp, it was possible to see up through the chassis/engine area, the locks can be seen up on the bulkhead. It was clear to see that the bar from the opening handle to the lock mechanism had come adrift.
   Using a one metre length of 30mm x 30mm timber (any metal bar of similar size would do) slide the timber up between the chassis and engine, close to the oil filter. It is possible to press the timber against the release part of the lock and using a further 25mm bar held against the exhaust manifold and the length of timber, push the timber to one side and presto the lock opens and the bonnet can be lifted. A quick weld on the offending bar that had come adrift and all is well.
   Leo.[:)]