Author Topic: Ace Configuration Running Changes  (Read 7136 times)

aex125

• View Profile
Ace Configuration Running Changes
« on: February 17, 2009, 02:22:56 »
I have way too much time on my hands and so I have begun trying to identify changes made to the Aces during production, and the Chassis number where they occurred. The engine changes are well documented, but the other things are not as clear. So far I have approx 15 things on the list and am slowly working through pics I have to try and narrow the cutover chassis numbers. For now can anyone help with the following items? Next to each item I have listed the first and last chassis number that I have found so far. I would appreciate information anyone that can narrow the gap on the changeover point.

Round Tail lights- first 22  Last 49
   Rectangular Tail lights- First 64  Last End Of Production
   Does anyone know anything about tail lights between Chassis 49 and 64?

Inner Fenders- 1st version with shortened leading edge and rounded edge where it turns outboard  First Chassis-22 Last34
   2nd version with a flattened edge where it turns out board.
   First Chassis- 70  last 132 Note: an example of this fender can be seen in the unknown Ace thread http://www.acownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=885 about 1/3 of the way down.
   3rd version with a 90 degree bend where it turns outboard
   First- 214  last- end of production
   Can anyone help with inner fender configurations for chassis number between 34 and 70; and 132 and 214?

The last question (for now) is the change on chassis plates from Brass to Aluminum where the last brass plate I have is 127 and the first aluminum plate is 313. Any info on chassis plated for cars in between these?

If anyone wants the complete list I have to help fill in the gaps, I can send it via e-mail (excel based) for your perusal.
   Thanks for any and all help
   Jay

pjbowman

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 03:13:17 »
Boy Jay, you really DO have waaaaay to much time on your hands!

Peter
Peter B.

A-Snake

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 04:27:55 »
quote:
Originally posted by aex125

The last question (for now) is the change on chassis plates from Brass to Aluminum where the last brass plate I have is 127 and the first aluminum plate is 313. Any info on chassis plated for cars in between these?
   Jay

Jay, Did the aluminum plate continue until the end of production? I assume it's the same design as the one used on 289 Cobras? (Chassis # and Engine #)
    If it is the same and ran to the end of production, it's interesting that the first two contracts of Cobras did not have chassis plates. They showed up at about the 200th car.

aex125

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 05:20:23 »
Peter,
   My free time runs out as soon as the rain stops which may be any day, so I better hurry on this.

Jim,
   The Aluminum Plate used on the Aces was different from the 289 Cobra plates. The aluminum Ace version was about 5" wide by 4.5" tall and had Grease and Oil information like the early Brass versions did; both of these also had the Engine and Chassis number stamped on them. I should have also noted that to the best of my knowledge, these 2 style plates were used on AC and Bristol Engine cars, but for the 2.6 versions a different version was used. The 2.6 version was a bare piece of Aluminum approx 4" wide by 1" tall and had the chassis and engine number only on it. From what I have read, I think the early Cobras received no plate (AC evidently didn't continue the bare Al plate) and then later used the smaller (2" x3"?)plate that is the readily available repo plate. If you want I can send you some pics of the Ace versions for reference.
   Jay

A-Snake

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009, 05:43:47 »
Thanks Jay, I've now cleared my head to remember the AC plate.[:I]

bex316

• View Profile
    • BEX316
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2009, 14:16:26 »
Jay,

A most interesting subject for us diehards, even if we don't have too much time on our hands.
   I have been thinking about this also now and then, even discussed it with Tony Bancroft following a few questions I had myself that fall into this category.
   He said it's not always easy to find a satisfactory answer because cars may have been changed over all those years and the factory may not always have adopted a strict regime of production changes.
   Nevertheless, it's still worth a try and whatever we may establish, the path leading to it can be even more interesting than the goal.
   I guess there is quite a lot of information on this but it is scattered among owners and other enthusiasts. The registrars should be the centres of information but they also need input from owners.
   This is one of the reasons why late 2007 I suggested setting up some kind of online "register", not to be confused with the traditional (ACOC) registers. Enough about that for now.

For a start, I know AE51 (the ex John Arnold car) still has round tail lights and BEX226 still has the brass chassis plate.
   I'm sure lots of input may follow. Keith?

Jerry

AE413

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2009, 17:36:39 »
I used to own AE76 in the 1970s, and I am 99% sure that it had the round type of rear lights, and the long boot lid.

John

bex316

• View Profile
    • BEX316
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2009, 19:00:33 »
Changeover from long to short boot lid took place between 260 and 270, more accurately around BEX266.

Jerry

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2009, 00:59:46 »
Long Boot /  Short Boot (trunk)

BEX264  definitely has long boot  and BEX268 definitely short boot, so change over has to be between these.

Rear Lights.

John Arnold,s old Ace AE51 had round lights and AEX61 definitely has rectangular lights ....  End of spare time ... ZZZzzz  zzzz

aex125

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2009, 04:15:32 »
Thanks all for the responses so far and the gaps have been closed a bit on a couple of the items, although John's info on AE76's tail lights seems to be an outlier at the present time. As Jerry said in his post, there are probably many variations that will surface and this is probably one of those. I have tried posting the complete list for comment, but it gets re-formatted each time so I'll post bits and pieces as time permits unless someone knows of a good way to post an Excel spreadsheet.
   Jay

pjbowman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2009, 07:46:41 »
Jay, could you post it as a PDF?
Peter B.

aex125

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2009, 04:07:16 »
I do not have a PDF writer, so I don't think I can generate a PDF document. I have thought about scanning it in and posting it as a JPEG, so maybe I'll try that in the next couple of days.
   Jay

pjbowman

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2009, 04:22:27 »
Jay, if you want to send me the XLS file I'll cerate the PDF and send back to you. bowmanpj@hotmail.com

Peter
Peter B.

pjbowman

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2009, 07:41:23 »
All - here's Jay's spreadhseet in xml format (so you don't need Excel on your PC). Just click on the link then chose 'Open' and you should see what he has come up with so far:

http://www.classic-motors-online.com/runningchanges.xml
Peter B.

nikbj68

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2009, 11:20:06 »
There`s a free PDF writer HERE: as the above didn`t want to work for me.