Author Topic: The old girl  (Read 2257 times)

GSouthee

• Climate warming bring it on, save heating.
    • View Profile
The old girl
« on: April 03, 2020, 16:46:28 »
She is driving really well now, on Radials 175/80 Taxi tyres up front and 215/70 on rears. These really help deliver the breaking force to the road, unlike the original 17 wheels on skinny crossply tyres (always terrified me especially in the wet).  The air shocks on the rear have made a great difference to the ride as well.

Last couple of months been bimbling around the local country lanes, doing my bit for the local surgery delivering medications to those older/unwell folk. They love the Ol'Girl and a few remember these cars and those of similar style. One of my ladies is Earl Howe's daughter herself a Lady, she has shared many a story of her fathers escapades.

While I am here anyone ever fitted a remote servo? I am thinking of doing so to aid stopping. What ratio did you use as there seems to be a range 1.6-1, 1.9-1 and 2.3-1.

Lets hope you are all staying safe and playing inn the garage.

God bless the NHS

Cheers  Gary
« Last Edit: April 03, 2020, 16:48:33 by GSouthee »
A car is only original once, but, you can modify it as many times as you like.

My car my rules.

Big col

• View Profile
Re: The old girl
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2020, 21:15:29 »
Hello Gary,
I have never fitted a servo myself but in my Daimler dart days I know a lot of cars did have them retro fit.
Personally, being heavy footed, I don’t find it’s needed but can understand why some take that root. I tend to find that braking in older cars is a case of reading the road and using the engine as well as the brakes. That said I have an Austin Champ which is at the extreme of high foot pressure needed and learning to keep your distance is paramount. You not only need to apply foot pressure but you need to strain against the steering wheel as well.
I imagine you will need to decide what amount of feel you need before deciding on the aspect ratio of the servo.
I might be rough but I’m slow as well.

GSouthee

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2020, 18:56:21 »
Hi Col

Reading the road is all well and good but in these days of idiot couriers who just stop/pull out/reverse instantly brakes help.

However agree with using the engine braking as well.

Stay safe all.

G

My car my rules.

GSouthee

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2020, 19:10:25 »
After some research I have decided on a 1.9 -1 pressure ratio, this seems to be the best based on similar sized vehicles. I did use a 2.3-1 on my V8 series land rover and it was bit bit over braked.

So got it on order and will fit soon.

G

My car my rules.

AndyN

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2020, 17:13:39 »
Hi Gary
What air shocks did you fit? Thinking about them for my 2 litre
Andy

GSouthee

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2020, 19:22:57 »
Hi Andy,

I purchased More Air Max and used the list of compressed/extended length I wanted.

I don,t what shocks you have at present ie tele or levers. I had levers and had a tele type rear shock cage to hand, I chose loop end for both ends and modified my top brackets. I think there were some with top pins like the original AC tele shocks.

I will have a look in the files for the receipt to let you the model number I got, but bear in mind I chose mine to suit what I wanted.

I have included the Monroe list link here so you can see what may suit you. It is fairly self evident of the sizing but do note the upper lower mount codes and check at the bottom for sizes etc.

https://www.shockwarehouse.com/news/airshocks.pdf

I mounted my airline connector in the boot near the fuel filler for ease of access.

Good luck.

G

My car my rules.