Author Topic: CFX 37. Original colour pictures from January 1971  (Read 21536 times)

lyonheart84

• View Profile
CFX 37. Original colour pictures from January 1971
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2011, 20:12:18 »
I think Dennis was correct, if it ain't broke don't fix it ! Sometimes modern parts can be disappointing in quality. AC certainly engineered the Frua for massive torque which meant low stress on the other running gear. I'm not sure the original Salisbury differential will stand up too long to 500 BHP being used constantly. With modern heavy traffic, more and more bad drivers on the road, and rising gas prices maybe standard power is enough for a car being driven just a few times a year........
   It will be interesting to see how you engineer in air-condtioning.

J Jones

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2011, 20:38:27 »
The Salisbury differential is very strong. All the original cobras were equipped with them. (as far as I know)
   Mike McCluskey makes a (kirkham supplied?) Aluminum cased version of the original. I saw them being assembled when my diff was on the bench. They seem to be up to the task, though they are not bullet-proof.
   Apparently some people choose to use an improved Torsen diff. Strength, weight and power handling - depends on personal preference.
   The availability of high quality parts for these cars is one of the great strengths of owning a Frua. Thanks to the great popularity of Cobras, all the running gear is available better-than-new! Materials, engineering - yet fits without having to alter anything.
   Kirham makes high quality exact reproductions. There's an old fella here in Southern Cal who's workshop is full of original parts, and was part of 'ol Shel's team in the day. You want it? He's got it. If you can get him up to find it.
   Now if only someone had the body panels...

J Jones

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2011, 00:30:36 »
By-the-way; for me, this car is not for everyday use. It's best use would be for a tour. Either in a rally, or just an informal trip up the coast. Pebble Beach in August.
   The Copperstate 1000 is a rally for which Frua's would be eligible. (1974 or older)
   The cut-off date for the Colorado Grand is 1961. The California Mille accepts cars that were in existence in 1957 (A Jaguar 1961 xk150 would still be eligible, for example).
   Unfortunate, as these are both really excellent events.
   One of these days, I'll get to "Cars and Coffee" in Irvine, California. About a hour drive for me on an early Saturday morning.

Emmanueld

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2011, 04:39:56 »
Jeffrey, let me correct you on the aluminum diff! The one you saw at McCluskey is not the Kikham one. My Kirkham was equipped with an aluminum diff and it was porous. Dennis pinned it a few times but it was still leaking. The only way to fix it would have been to coat it on the inside. I even sent it back to Kirkham and they swapped the cases, it was still leaking afterward, compared to the original cast iron  design, they omitted two seals and that why the leak.  The one you saw over there is a McCluskey one and it is awesome, no leak there.

Emmanuel [:)]