Author Topic: Ace Bristol side curtain rubber bumpers  (Read 13800 times)

A-Snake

• View Profile
Ace Bristol side curtain rubber bumpers
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2009, 04:58:03 »
quote:
Originally posted by pjbowman

Is there a part numer to reference for the bumpers from P.A.R?

I just added a picture of the rubber bumper in my previous post.

There isn't part number. Just ask for the Cobra door and side curtain
   rubber bumpers.

I hope I was clear on the other use of this same rubber bumper. It is inserted into the hole in the front cowl door jam.

Here is a picture of the bumper in place. Notice it will crush over time. You may notice the imprint of a screw head in the rubber.
   That comes from the screw that's located in the door frame tube.

I understand now that Aces may have used some type of brass piece instead of rubber in the cowl.

aex125

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2009, 02:15:41 »
Jim
   Here is a picture of what was used on the Aces. In my limited experience, they are difficult to get aligned properly so the door fits correctly.

In the picture the one on the right came out of AEX125, and the one on the left is a new one I tried to make fit. I was not very successful since I did not take a hammer to the new one and think I probably would have needed to. I think I'll try the Cobra approach, but am not sure if the rubber will stay in place in the Ace cowl hole. The brass stud is approx 1/4" and so the hole is slightly larger. Do you think the small end of the rubber bumper fit a 1/4" hole and stay in place?
   Jay

A-Snake

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2009, 03:00:29 »
The hole in the "L" bracket for the side curtain rubber bumper is 1/4" diameter. The rubber bumper should then work in the hole you describe in the Ace. The small end of the rubber bumper will squish down when you pull/push it in place using some lube or soapy water. You should then fill the receiving hole in the door tube with perhaps a flat head screw for the bumper to press against.

After seeing the brass studs I understand why AC changed to the rubber bumpers on Cobras.

pjbowman

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2009, 03:05:27 »
Yep, AEX127 has 1/4" hole in the L bracket for these - I'll soon be ordering some!
Peter B.

aex125

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2009, 15:23:23 »
These pics show the location of the brass pins in the cowl/door area  and are posted on behalf of Keith Lessiter.

Jay

rr64

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2009, 11:12:47 »
Here's one of the door frames on my old car. Until the information provided in this thread appeared I had wondered for a long time why the makers went to the trouble to make passage perpendiuclar to the frame and then fill it with a screw. The holes are hold-overs from earlier models. That makes sense, one design frame then could then be used as a service part for multiple models.

Dan
Dan Case
1964 Cobra owner since 1983, Cobra crazy since I saw my first one in the mid 1960s in Huntsville, AL.

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2009, 12:50:38 »
quote:
Originally posted by aex125

These pics show the location of the brass pins in the cowl/door area  and are posted on behalf of Keith Lessiter.

Jay

Jay

Many thanks for posting the two pictures on my behalf, much appreciated. The colour one is of BEX333,

The fabulous Black and White period photo was sent to me by Antoin Prunet  &  Jean Marc Dubost, it  depicts BEatriX in BEX449 with Gerard Blain,  only other clue  ...  " et Anne Colette dans "?

Great set of Pins,  suggest we refer to the Brass pins  from P A R as BEatriX pins, Therefor no Part number required and So Entent Cordial !

Keith

Norman

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2013, 22:44:04 »
Did you ever sort out your query about the rubber bumpers that position the sidescreens? They are shown clearly on pages 43 and 48 of Rinsey Mills' Original Ace & Cobra and are, to the best of my knowledge pretty standard on all Aces and Cobras, whether flat or curved screen. Certainly my Ace 2.6 had them on its original flat screen, and the curved screen that I swapped that for had them also. Or should I say it had the brackets: the rubbers were missing, with the result that the sidescreens clatter horribly on bumpy roads. I have not found a source of these rubbers, so if anyone is interested in getting a batch made, please let me know.

The part of the rubber that does the work is shaped like the frustrum of a cone, while there is a long conical piece that you push through the hole in the bracket to locate it.

rr64

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2013, 22:08:14 »
A-Snake gave contact information for a supplier of the rubber bumpers in one of his posts above. I did the research, reverse engineering, commissioned the making of a mold, and the commission of a production run years ago. Several owners and a few shops joined in the get the quantity up enough that per part cost was not unbearable. At the time I wanted four new ones. After a long and frustrating search I just took care of recreating them myself.
Dan Case
1964 Cobra owner since 1983, Cobra crazy since I saw my first one in the mid 1960s in Huntsville, AL.

rr64

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2013, 22:15:38 »
Cobra use update. Since the original study years ago a couple of very low mile early Cobras (CSX2034 is one.) came into public inspection after decades of storage and they had brass guide pins.
Dan Case