Author Topic: Ace Bristol side curtain rubber bumpers  (Read 16901 times)

A-Snake

• View Profile
Ace Bristol side curtain rubber bumpers
« on: January 25, 2009, 23:38:31 »
AC Cobras used a chrome bracket that held a rubber bumper to keep the top of the side curtains positioned correctly. They were mounted to the windshield frame with a single screw.
   Were these used on other AC's? If so, does anyone know who can provide them? If they were used by other AC's and there isn't a source, would anyone be interested in a pair if they were to be produced again?

pjbowman

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2009, 01:02:48 »
I don't believe Aces used these (at least the ones I've seen), they just have the posts on the side screens that fit directly into the chrome sockets on the doors.
Peter B.

A-Snake

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2009, 01:20:44 »
Thank you, perhaps this was unique to the curved windscreen on Cobras. Would appreciate any other comments.

aex125

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2009, 03:18:05 »
The curved screen windshield on AEX125 had one of the metal brackets still in place when I bought it, but no rubber piece. I believe the windshield frame was originally from a Cobra so it may be a Cobra unique item. I removed my bracket and it is in a box somewhere since I could not figure out what it for, but from what I remember it looked like it would be very easy to make new ones. The chroming would probably be the most expensive part of making some up.
   Jay

A-Snake

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2009, 01:42:17 »
Jay,
   Thanks for the reply. You are correct the chrome is the most  expensive part. If it was also used on AC's I would poll owners to share in a batch production.

Would you look at the bracket you have and let me know if the 'leg' with the screw hole has been filed to fit against the windshild frame?
    Thanks

aex125

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2009, 01:50:28 »
Jim,
   I dug it out tonight and yes there are file marks on the backside of the small hole leg which looks like it is the screw leg. The marks are at a 45 degree angle and cover roughly 60% of the surface. FWIW, there are additional lines on that surface which are parallel to the edges (2 each direction) that look like machinist fiducials of some type. There are also some file marks on the other leg on the side the small piece of rubber is on. Probably more info than you wanted to know, but since I was staring at it I decided to really look at it.
   Jay

aex125

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2009, 14:50:03 »
I was looking through Mill’s Original Ace and Cobra last night and made an interesting discovery. In all of the pictures of curved windshield Aces except one, this bracket is present. From the various pictures, it looks like the Cobras and the 2.6s have it in the same location, but for the earlier Aces, it is located slightly lower on the frame. There did not appear to be a bracket present on any of the flat windshield cars. Maybe this bracket is supposed to be there on curved windshield Aces as well as Cobras.
   Jay

A-Snake

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2009, 18:03:22 »
The change in location of the bracket might be because of the change in side curtain design from the early pivot type to the sliding type.
   The pivot type show the lower position for the bumper.

pjbowman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2009, 20:28:57 »
I looked at my flat-screen Ace today (AEX127), and am wondering if the brackets as shown in my awful picture (from my phone), are indeed meant for these rubber bumpers to hold the side screens in place. Has anyone checked to see if Ron Leonard has these? If not, and that's the intended use of these brackets, I would be interested in getting some (even though I never put the hood up or side sreens on, but always nice to have it correct).

Peter B.
Peter B.

rr64

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2009, 20:07:23 »
Peter,
   What is the hole size in your bracket?
   Dan
   rollright64@aol.com
Dan Case
1964 Cobra owner since 1983, Cobra crazy since I saw my first one in the mid 1960s in Huntsville, AL.

pjbowman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2009, 21:56:03 »
I'll measure the diameter and post the results. Car is at a friends for the winter (My garage currently full).
Peter B.

A-Snake

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2009, 22:58:28 »

A-Snake

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2009, 00:56:58 »
We've now determined that AC's and Cobras used the same rubber bumpers & brackets as anti-rattles for side curtains.

Have you wondered what that hole was for in the front door jam? You know, the one that's visible when you have the door open. That hole held the same type rubber bumper as used for the side curtains. These are now available from:

Precision Auto Restoration and Vintage Seats
   4 Mulliken Way
   Newburyport, MA 01950
   Tel: 978/463-8144

E-mail: cars1@verizon.net

These are not some 'will work' part, they are as they say "dead nuts on"!

In the near future, chrome "L" brackets will be produced.

pjbowman

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2009, 01:18:47 »
Hard to say for sure, but those definitely look like the brackets and position on AEX127, so looks like it should have the rubber bumpers also. I also have some original literature, and the brackets/bumpers are NOT shown on the car(s) featured, so maybe they were introduced somehere along the line, but definitely by AEX127.
Peter B.

pjbowman

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2009, 03:12:38 »
Is there a part numer to reference for the bumpers from P.A.R?
Peter B.