Author Topic: Rear Shock Absorbers Needed for 1960 Ace Bristol- Spax reference G623  (Read 1718 times)

Glen Smytheman

• View Profile
Hi all from New Zealand.  I am doing some work on my Ace Bristol prior to a planned 3500km Road trip over Easter (Auckland to Wanaka in South Island for Warbirds over Wanaka Air show and back) and hit a bit of a snag yesterday. Yesterday I finally got around to fitting a set of new rear Spax shocks which I had purchased some years ago only to find that 4x front shocks had been dispatched down to the colonies............. Brian Eacott has come back saying that Spax may make to order so there may be some waiting time.  I will call Spax Monday but wanted to see if by any chance:

A) There was anyone that has a new set of new rear Spax shocks in stock ready to airmail (anywhere in the world fine).  Reference is G623 in spax catalogue or Brian Eacott says G623EA.

B) Has anyone any experience of timing for Spax to dispatch shocks

On the flip side if there is anyone out there that needs a set of new front spax shocks for an Ace or Aceca (Spax reference G624) at short notice I can help......

Thanks in advance for any assistance

Glen Smytheman - PS you can also email me on glen@wbb.co.nz

B.P.Bird

• View Profile
Glen,
I hope you make your trip, sounds terrific. I have always found SPAX prompt and helpful. I would contact them direct and explain your situation:

sales@spaxperformance.com

By the bye just to clarify Spax can supply dampers for the Ace which limit droop or rebound and I think this is essential. The original design of Armstrong dampers did not limit travel with the result that at the rear the drive shafts exceeded their limit of Hook joint angularity and at the front allowed suspension travel to be arrested when steering track rods fouled the wishbone mounts. The two letter suffix identifies these reduced travel dampers on the part numbers:
Front G9442AS
Rear G623EA
I believe SPAX will still supply their original part numbers which must have been copied from the original Armstrong dampers. Personally I think allowing the unrestrained suspension excessive droop probably accounts for some of the cracks we see in older chassis and bodies and I would not use them.....
Barrie

Glen Smytheman

• View Profile
Thank you very much for that.  I confirm that shocks have been ordered and paid for and are heading down under.  One less thing to worry about - its getting to the stage where the weakest link in the trip will be the driver - we are driving up to 640km a day which is a lot in NZ where the people that built our roads appeared to be paid by the corner constructed (and made a lot of money)...... Best Regards, Glen