Author Topic: Hello from former owner  (Read 4967 times)

Jim A

• View Profile
Hello from former owner
« on: February 02, 2009, 00:59:31 »
I purchased a 1957 Ace Bristol from my brother (who bought it new) in 1960.  I put about 125,000 miles on it and rebuilt it in 1967.
   I lost it with several other vehicles in a garage fire in 1991, with only major steel components surviving.
   I was an ACOC member two or three different times in the 31 years I had the car.
   It was BEX 241 with engine 100D557, originally blue.
   Do I understand the rules correctly that to view the Members Area and registry, I need to join ACOC again and pay $85 to do so?
   Best regards,
   Jim Armstrong
   Potter Valley, CA

administrator

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Hello from former owner
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2009, 10:32:33 »
Good Morning Jim and welcome to the Forum.  The registers are all on the Members' Area and yes, you do need to rejoin to view them.  I believe the $5 joining fee is once only so the US sub is $80.  Tricia Morpeth should be able to trace your old membership number.  BEX241 is noted as having been restored in the 1990s and is now living in Germany.

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
Hello from former owner
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2009, 14:57:56 »
quote:
Originally posted by Jim A

I purchased a 1957 Ace Bristol from my brother (who bought it new) in 1960.  I put about 125,000 miles on it and rebuilt it in 1967.
   I lost it with several other vehicles in a garage fire in 1991, with only major steel components surviving.
   I was an ACOC member two or three different times in the 31 years I had the car.
   It was BEX 241 with engine 100D557, originally blue.
   Do I understand the rules correctly that to view the Members Area and registry, I need to join ACOC again and pay $85 to do so?
   Best regards,
   Jim Armstrong
   Potter Valley, CA

Hi Jim

I have on file 7 photos of BEX241,  a couple in Bare Ali ( New Body ) and 5  of BEX241 in light Metalic Blue with blue interior wearing a American number plate QQ9751.

Can you please email me a few Period photos of BEX241 when owned by you and your brother. (for my own personal reference library and  will forward copy for the Official Ace Bristol Register) my email:-

Keith dot lessiter @ faac dot co dot uk

I will in turn email you copies and data.

Thanking you in anticipation  ...   ...   ...

Keith ( BEX333 )

bex316

• View Profile
    • BEX316
Hello from former owner
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2009, 23:33:12 »
Keith,

The 5 pics are probably from the eBay auction in April of 2002.

Jerry

Jim A

• View Profile
Hello from former owner
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2009, 00:10:30 »
Unless I misremember the BEX 241 serial number, it seems to have proven as durable as the un-melted steel parts.
   I sent all my old ACOC Magazines and other AC related material to Jim Feldman in Oregon several years ago, so I can't really be sure of the number.
   All the photos I have are seriously pre-digital and I do not have scanning capability.  If ones of original blue, metallic maroon and BRG incarnations would really be of any utility, let me know.  I  sent a pic of the ruins, as well as a commercial recording of an AC Bristol on track, to Brian Gilbart-Smith whom I met at Silverstone in 1994.
   I did find one letter from AC Cars Ltd. from September 1967, that didn't get sent off.  Among other things, it offers me a wood rimmed Aceca steering wheel to replace the Ace's plastic one for 12 pounds ten; from what I recall, this may have included shipping and handling.  I bought it.
   I have to admit I almost went to my atlas to find a town in Germany called "Bare Ali," where your two photos were taken, before the meaning hit me.
   The car, by the way, was from Lew Spencer's Century Motors in Los Angeles.

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
Hello from former owner
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2009, 10:24:41 »
Jim

Your memory serves you well,  BEX241 is the correct Chassis number, it was Metalic Blue with blue trim  and it was recorded in your Family name.

According to the American AC Ace register 2nd Edition compiled Dec 1991 you were the owner, it was Green and you renewed your membership reference ACtion 10/1988.

I would appreciate a few Period pictures of the Ace in Maroon and Green, If it is possible to get a Friend to Scan and email to me.
   ( roughly when did you repaint and change the colour from Blue to Green /Maroon or Maroon /Green ?)

I will then forward on to Tony Bancroft the Official ACOC Ace Bristol Register. all additional info / data is required on all ACs to help keep accurate history records for future generations and. Custodians.

The pictures I have with the Bare Aluminium Body I came across a few years after securing Pictures of BEX241 in Blue wearing the American number plates.

I look forward to receiving your email, If it is impossible, please forward on a few photos. I will copy & return origonals by return post same day.

Thanking you in anticipation.

Keith Lessiter

Courtyard Cottage
   Blisworth Road
   GAYTON
   Northamptonshire
   NN7 3EY
   England

Jim A

• View Profile
Hello from former owner
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2009, 18:57:04 »
Keith:  Will physically mailed 35mm slides do the job?

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
Hello from former owner
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2009, 00:08:57 »
quote:

Keith:  Will physically mailed 35mm slides do the job?

Thank you for your kind offer.

Yes,  I can get prints made from 35mm slides, However will take a few days so cannot post back same day,  turn round in approx 5 - 6 working days, if OK with you ?

Cheers

Keith

Jim A

• View Profile
Hello from former owner
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2009, 00:49:49 »
I'll post them tomorrow.

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
Hello from former owner
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2009, 17:16:22 »
quote:

I'll post them tomorrow.

Jim

Thank you for your prompt ACtion... ...   Received today, Your ten  35 mm Kodak slides, depicting BEX241 during the 1950s and 60s. ( Note Blue to Red  C  8/61  and Red to BRG   C  8/67 )

It will take 10 working days to have slides copied onto CD, As soon as I receive the slides back with CD, I will inturn burn off a copy CD and return your ten slides complete with a copy CD.

Sorry, It will take a week longer than expected, but in the UK very few people request Slides copied to print or even CD, cheaper to CD than to Prints . Hence ordered CD.

Much appreciated.

Keith

Jim A

• View Profile
Hello from former owner
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2009, 17:04:53 »
Glad they got there.  Not very fast, but cheap.
   Process at your leisure.

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
Hello from former owner
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2009, 08:51:12 »
Jim

Received your 10 x 35 mm Slides, transfered to CD and put back in the postal system to your home.

I have downloaded the pictures, so have included the CD to you for your own use.

Hope the contents arrive safely back with you in USA.

Thank you once again for loan of origonal  35mm slides ...  much appreciated.(Copies emailed to Tony Bancroft for inclusion in the official ACOC Ace Bristol register)

Keith

Jim A

• View Profile
Hello from former owner
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2009, 20:44:14 »
Keith:
   Slides and CD received in good order this AM.  I was kind of hoping for the other pics you have of the car, but no big deal.  Will these be available in some form to the membership?

Jim

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
Hello from former owner
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2009, 01:09:29 »
Jim

Couldn't add additional pictures to the CD,  So have emailed a series of pictures of BEX241 in Light metalic blue with USA number plates to you. Is it/was it your car in the early 50s late 60s ?or is it after rebuild from the fire ??

The pictures were sent just after 1.00 am  Sunday 1st March.

Hope the pictures are of interest, await your reply.

Keith