Author Topic: Long Straights and Hairpin Turns  (Read 4002 times)

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
Long Straights and Hairpin Turns
« on: January 05, 2009, 09:21:00 »
Wanted :  Copy of Long Straights and Hairpin Turns by Martin Rudow. ( published in 2005)

In this the First Volume (more are planned) Martin Chronilces the History of Northwest Sports Car Racing from 1950 through 1961.

According to his research, the International Conference of Northwest Sports Car Clubs (ICNSCC) was created to serve as a focus point for motoring activities throught the Northwest.
   It included all the Washington, Oregon and British Columbian regional clubs, such as the Spokane Sports Car Club and the Sports Car Club of British Columbia.

The above book is required in order to continue my research into the racing history of my Ace Bristol "BEX333" and could be a good launch pad for anyone else researching early racing history of AC Ace Bristols and AC  Aces which competed at clubman level in NW USA, and Canada, but didnt neccessarily register and compete in the SCCA Championship.

Some of the above notes lifted from Presidents Message of the ICSCC memo #3  April 2006.

Wanted  Copy:-

"Long Straights and Hairpin Turns" by Martin Rudow
   ISBN number   0976960907     9780976960904  published 2005.
   OCLC - 62772248

Keith

hawk289

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2009, 10:00:29 »
Keith,

Interesting, I see ebay and amazon (USA) have copies of the books, not cheap. Also have a look at http://www.rspubs.com/, found useful. If you get a copy let me know, I'm trying to also get a copy of volume one and two.

John.

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 18:52:22 »
quote:
Originally posted by hawk289

Keith,

Interesting, I see ebay and amazon (USA) have copies of the books, not cheap. Also have a look at http://www.rspubs.com/, found useful. If you get a copy let me know, I'm trying to also get a copy of volume one and two.

John.

John.

Update to our previous communication on the Forum, via email and by Phone.

Made contact with Martin Rudow the author of "Long Straights and Hairpin Turns" .......  He had a spare copy and many copies of his 2nd Volume "Weekends of Glory",  Martin has  kindly signed both books and I now await arrival  later this month.

In the meantime Martin also made contact with Mrs J Parson widow of the origonal owner of my Ace BEX333 which James H Parsons raced during the Period 57 to 64. ( Martin and Mrs Parsons just happen to  live nearby both in the same area Seattle)

All in all a bloody good result, Lets hope these two volumes confirm more of the racing history of my Ace Bristol.

Will keep in contact with you,in the hope that some of the other books  on (SCCA) 1950s & 1960s sports car racing in USA,  that you have recently purchased, Happen to illustrate or confirm even more racing history of  my BEX333.

Cheers 4 Now

Keith

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2009, 18:23:08 »
Have received both volume1 & 2 of Martin Dudows Books on Sports Car Racing in USA NW, Vancouver and British Columbia.

Long Straights and Hair Pin Turns ( Vol 1 --1950 through 1961)
   Weekends of Glory

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2009, 18:56:54 »
quote:
Originally posted by AC Ace Bristol

Have received both volume 1&2 of Martin Dudows Books on Sports Car Racing in USA NW, Vancouver and British Columbia.

Long Straights and Hair Pin Turns ( Vol 1    1950 through 1961)
   Weekends of Glory ( Vol 2    1962  through 1970)

Great set of books for those wishing to read and view the Sports Car racing scene on the NW coast of USA.

Unfortunately not one picture of a AC Ace,  However James Parsons the original owner of my BEX333 is mentioned a couple of times in Vol 1. along with mention of........ Al Doyon,  Bob Constabaris & Dr V D Clausing

Regards my reasearch of the Racing History of BEX333,  I now have written record of James Parsons competing at,  Abbotsford "The Swan Song"   Westwood,   Shelton & Deer Park.
   7 races so far,  hopefully more History to come

A few Pictures of Cobras and details of Carroll Shelby and Ken Miles etc etc in Vol 2.

Both books worth buying for those interested in early sports car racing in the States,   Covers National SCCA and Club racing e.g.  INCSCC (Conference), ICSCC,  SCCBC etc) Also covers Various 1950s Hill Climbs " Mary Hill",  Goldendale. etc

If anyone reading this thread has any photographs of any Ace Bristols racing (Especially refering to James Parsons) within 200 mile catchment area of Seattle during the period 1954 through to 1964, I really would appreciate a copy via email or via this Forum.

Keith dot lessiter @ faac dot co dot uk

Cheers 4 Now

Keith