Author Topic: Racing History BEX333 (1957-1964)  (Read 114172 times)

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
Racing History BEX333 (1957-1964)
« Reply #180 on: January 19, 2016, 08:51:59 »
   Jeffrey

Thank you for your time and effort on making the journey to spend  time with Barbara Lovely Doyon,  Hope you still had time to visit members of your own Family.

Hopefully Ed has a few period pictures  he can share with us and other  like minded AC Ace Bristol enthusiasts on both sides of the Pond. Without help from  you and other enthusiasts the history of our race cars would be lost forever..[;)]

I have both the books you refer to, written by Martin Rudrow, who has furnished me with a few period pictures of my Ace BEX333 racing with/against his father’s Porsche. (  picture posted  earlier on this thread )
   James Parsons is mentioned in Long Straights and Hairpin Turns , however no pictures and nothing in ” Weekends of Glory”.

Thank you for thinking of me with regards  his details and his books……………  Both are a good read and capture some of the atmosphere of clubman and SCCA racing in Period. (  unfortunately LS and HT is out of print )

Thank you once again………Cheers for Now

Keith.

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
« Reply #181 on: February 05, 2016, 00:06:31 »
   Copy of email received this evening from Jeff.
   4th February 2016, 23.21

Hi Keith.

I noticed in an earlier thread a comment that Peter Lovely wouldn't have been the importer of the three ACE's.  Barbara Lovely Doyon did say that Peter was the first NW importer of Porsches and that Al Doyon worked for him doing the dealer prep on the Porsches. I will see her again this year and find out if Peter was involved in importing the ACE's.
   Peter apparently was always interested in things fast and learned to fly when he was 14 in Livingstone, Montana.

Best Regards,

Jeff Zwar
   Methow . W.A.

We know BEX333 along with BEX331 & BEX332 were all imported in the same consignment by the North West AC Agent:
   Imported Motor Cars Inc
   7030 South Tacoma Way
   Tacoma
   Washington.

Were there other AC agents in close proximity. ( IN NW USA ).[?]
   Did Al Doyon or Pete Lovely have any connection with importing AC Aces other than racing  them..[?]

Keith

jrlucke

• View Profile
« Reply #182 on: February 05, 2016, 02:00:14 »
Keith, if I recall somewhere earlier in this discussion we found that while Pete Lovely worked at/with Imported Motors, Tom Carstens ((now passed away) was the owner and went on the be a fairly large VW dealer prior to re-locating to Las Vegas (if I recall correctly as I cannot find that information now).

I did find a reference to a Cliff Garlatz, a sales manager for Imported Motors in 1957 being responsible for forming the MG Car Club of the Northwest. I cannot find a current reference for a Cliff Garlatz but do have a contact for the historian of the MG Car Club which I believe puts on the Tulip Rally during the tulip festival near my home.

I'll see if I can make contact with the club and see if anyone was around in the 1950's.

John

AC Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #183 on: July 02, 2016, 20:14:40 »
Hi Keith, hope you have been keeping well.
    Wasn't sure if you were aware of this web site, which may have some things on it that you would be interested in, pictures, articles, or whatever. I haven't researched it in it's entirety yet, so who knows what gems might be found. Hopefully you may find something interesting.

http://gvmps.org/

I have been anxiously waiting for my roadsters fresh coat of paint to be done, and heard today it should be ready for me to pick up, and bring back home. It will take me a few days to put everything back on, lights, mirrors windscreen etc., but it shouldn't be long before I can be out cruising again.

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
« Reply #184 on: July 03, 2016, 11:41:27 »

Bill.

Thank you for the link,  No I wasn't aware of the " gvmps " link,
   however some of the names associated with it and mentioned in various areas of their web site I have written to in the past, resulting in new information
   which has been shared in earlier pages of this thread.

I have responded directly with email, fingers crossed new material on BEX333 and any other Ace Bristol's raced in Vancouver, British Columbia
   and NW USA during the 1950s and early 60s comes to light.[?]

Last but not least,  Bill......glad to see major progress with the Cobra, looking great in it's new coat.

Thank you once again for the new link...[;)]

Keith..

AC Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #185 on: July 15, 2017, 08:07:26 »
Hi Keith, A year later, but I'm still keep my ear to the ground for anyone talking anything AC related.
    Such a shame that so many great pictures that were hosted by Photobucket, are no longer visible. Dozens of threads on the various car forums are now picture-less, including this one now..

Have you been out enjoying your car in the summer weather? I love cruising in my roadster.

https://www.facebook.com/anna.henderson.982/videos/pcb.1616993095001715/1616988861668805/?type=3&theater

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
Re: Racing History BEX333 (1957-1964)
« Reply #186 on: December 30, 2017, 13:20:46 »

Wishing you all a.

Happy and Healthy New Year

Hopefully..  ..   Now we have a new easier  method of Posting  pictures, I will attempt to retrieve the Lost  60 or so pictures  posted
on this thread since 4th January 2009.. :)

In the meantime , I thank all those who have read and contributed to this thread, with a bonus that other owners of Aces raced in Period
on the West Coast of USA, Vancouver & British Columbia have also  received  confirmation of new racing History on their Ace Bristol's.. ;)

Please note new email address & mobile number..

keith.lessiter@gmail.com

Mobile    07809 251333

All the Best for 2018

Keith.. :)

« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 11:27:00 by AC Ace Bristol »

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
« Reply #187 on: April 11, 2018, 15:12:06 »
Thank You..  ..    Nik.. :)

For starting to salvage the 70 pictures you kindly posted on my thread, on my behalf.   A long a laborious job of visiting each post and posting a new copy of each individual picture. But worth it in the end as it saves the thread in chronological order... ;)

Hopefully anyone who contributed by posting a picture on this thread over the past 8/9years can they please revisit their post and upgrade  by reposting
their picture.

Those reading this, can upgrade their threads by reposting a copy of their pictures in the new format, and stick two fingers up to Photo Bucket

We now have a way of saving much of the valuable posts on our Club Forum.. ;)

Thank you  Nik..  Really appreciated by not just me, but all those who have followed and contributed to this thread. . :)

Keith
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 16:20:12 by AC Ace Bristol »

nikbj68

• View Profile
« Reply #188 on: April 19, 2018, 23:42:12 »
Thank You..  ..    Nik.. :)

For starting to salvage the 70 pictures you kindly posted on my thread, on my behalf.   A long a laborious job of visiting each post and posting a new copy of each individual picture. But worth it in the end as it saves the thread in chronological order... ;)

Hopefully anyone who contributed by posting a picture on this thread over the past 8/9years can they please revisit their post and upgrade  by reposting
their picture.

Those reading this, can upgrade their threads by reposting a copy of their pictures in the new format, and stick two fingers up to Photo Bucket

We now have a way of saving much of the valuable posts on our Club Forum.. ;)

Thank you  Nik..  Really appreciated by not just me, but all those who have followed and contributed to this thread. . :)

Keith

Bloody Hell!
Done! This thread, at least.  >:(

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
« Reply #189 on: April 20, 2018, 09:05:41 »
Sincere Thanks ...    ...  Nik.

Really appreciated. I honestly thought this thread was ruined for ever.

Regards the pictures that still need to be addressed, I  will email request to all those who originally posted on this thread and email you fresh copy
of the pictures you were unable to repost...   ;)

Let's hope other members have the same success in restoring their valuable threads,  So we can all enjoy the Forum as intended without  corruption
from the likes of Photobucket . 

Keith
« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 14:32:38 by AC Ace Bristol »

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
« Reply #190 on: June 04, 2018, 08:25:00 »
Further to a  series of general email  to Jerry Lludahl  (  Old Irish Racing  / Purple Lips Racing Team  1950's /1960's).

Jerry

Loooong Time no hear.
 Hope this email finds you fit and well and you and your crew are firing on all cylinders.

Scanning through some old notes on the racing History of my Ace Bristol BEX333 raced in NW USA . Vancouver, & BC 1958/1964 by James H Parsons,
Thought I would fire you an email  on the off chance any new material had been found in the racing archives and to see how you are doing.

The History file on my thread in  the AC Owners Club Forum continues to slowly grow  , but always looking for more racing History on BEX333 any other
AC Ace Bristol racing in Period mid 1950s through mid 1960s.

Last but not least,  Your recipe for Purple Lips Red Wine is still enjoyed and used in the workshop for cleaning engine components.

Take Care
Cheers for Now

Keith

Received the following reply:-

Keith, 

I didn't realize it had been that long since we last communicated.  Time certainly does march on and quickly!  I was impressed by both your determination and success in finding more history on your car since we last coresponded.   I am afraid I dont have much to offer you in the way of additional information.  I was going to look through my two books on NW racing, but see you have already been down that route.

The author of those books on Pacific Northwest (PNW) racing, Martin Rudow, has a newer book called "Lost Road Courses" which has a chapter on Westwood.
I am not sure if you have communicated with Martin.  He used to publish a magazine about PNW vintage racing called Vintage Drift, but do not know if that magazine still exists.  It looks like the website is no longer active.  There is info on him here, but no contact information?  http://carsyeah.com/ourportfolio/martin-rudow/http://sovrenracing.org and they would likely know how to reach him.  He is also on Facebook. 
As I was typing this in fits and starts, I found the contact at his business here https://www.manta.com/c/mm52wnj/rudow-specialty-publishing.http://www.vrcbc.ca to include in information, newsletter, website, etc. to their members.  I would also suggest contacting Patrick Stewart at Western Driver http://www.westerndriver.com and Cam Hutchins http://www.carnut.ca.  Both have websites and Cam has a weekly newsletter directed at car enthusiasts in British Columbia.  If the publish your history request, who knows who may know of, know someone that knows of, etc. That could help you document your car further. 
I would also suggest contacting Keith Martin at Sports Car Market Magazine https://www.sportscarmarket.com.  it has a much wider distribution base, but he might find your story of interest.

I have pinged Bob Macherione who owned the chassis of the AC Bristol consumed by fire.  I wanted Bob to see if he recalls the name of the person he got it from and exactly where they were located.  I will continue to follow up with him.  I am a month away from retirement.  While a back injury from an auto accident has slowed me down a great deal, I am committed to going through my old papers, pictures and stuff once I have the time on my hands.  It just takes me longer to do much physical activity.  As a result, I have not been to any races or car shows for awhile.  We did just attend a show in Vancouver, BC, wish I had gotten your email sooner to refresh my memory and make some inquiries on your behalf.  Well, that's it for now.
Wishing you all the best,

Jerry

Old Irish Racing
Cottage Grove, Oregon USA

Jerry

Thank you for your prompt and positive reply,  I have been in contact with Martin Rudow  over the past few years and have two of his books,
I  must checkout his latest  publication you refer to.

I will also visit the links  you have kindly  confirmed,  Hopefully some new material will surface on the Racing History of BEX333 and other Ace Bristol's
raced in period in North West USA, Vancouver and British Columbia,

Thank you once again for your time and for the new potential leads.. ;)

Cheers for now 

Keith 

« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 13:54:55 by AC Ace Bristol »

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
« Reply #191 on: October 16, 2018, 10:30:01 »
The Ace Bristol is Al Doyan’s which was regularly raced against Jim Parsons in BEX333.

Main connection of the two cars besides being Ace Bristol is AL  DOYAN  rebuilt the Bristol engine  in BEX333 back in 1965 within the first few months of   Lee Kolb buying BEX333 from 1st owner James Parsons. 2nd Ace is Jim Parsons.

And a Mystery Ace. At first, thought to be BEX333, but definitely not:  closer examination of the picture, looking at the over riders  it could well to be a early  long booted Ace.

16th October 2018

Whilst  recently corresponding via email with David Di Francesco , received another Period picture  of a White racing Ace Bristol driven by Jim Milligan in Western Canada,   Is this  the same Ace as pictured  above  ??
David's email below indicates it could be BEX437 ,  which was a White Ace Bristol and  raced by Constabaris and raced  Against /alongside  my BEX333.

More investigation required,  One thing for sure it is not  BEX333 and if not BEX437 still remains a mystery unidentified Ace

David Di Francesco's e-mail..

Hey Keith

Looking through my archive of AC Ace Bristol's I found a white AC Ace Bristol, very much the same as the picture you sent belonging to
Jim Milligan of Bon Accord, Alberta, Canada.

I have printed B&W pictures of him pulling his Ace Bristol tuned by Ken Rudd on a trailer in Vancouver on Robinson Street in 1960 towed by his
 Red Aceca.
I also have a picture of him with the  Bristol  with racing number  71 on the white Bristol with white wheels at some airport race in Western Canada
that isn't mentioned or subtitled.
This all was in  "History of Sports Car Road Racing in Western Canada"  , Race  Cars of note which
I printed out in 2009 and seems not to be available as a  site on -line any longer . There's a statement by the writer in this History that says the car was later turned into a Cobra, also saying "what a great shame".

Looking Jim up provided  two contacts in Bon Accord, Alberta Canada, TOA OKO :-     One listed as James  T Milligan  at PO Box 37 and one listed
as  James B Milligan deceased  1907 - 1978. ( which was probably him ) where as James T  must be the Son  listed as running a Company in Bon,
( tel Number 780-921-2385    Land Line number .)

No where can I find the BEX number on his Ace Bristol from my archive at this time, It's clear from the B&W photo that the Ace Bristol has disc Brakes on the front making it at least late 1957 or maybe 1958 or 1959
There's a white  1958 Ace Bristol listed in the  ACOCV Ace register from 2001, in Vancouver  that was white with red interior and now having a  327 Chevy motor and a BEX437  Chassis Number.
On the Aceca which is on one of the club pages I saw mentioned by a ACOC member asking if the red Aceca was Jim Milligan's,  The only Rouge Iris Aceca on the register exported to Canada in 1958 was  AE657.

I have a CASC Canadian Sports Car Championship Results list of 1962 winners, that lists Jim Milligan of Bon Accord AB  in an AC Ace Bristol coming 2nd      at Davidson Airport ( probably the one in the picture I  mentioned  with number71 )  with no race number listed in the final standings for the year, Jim is listed at#6 overall in his Ace Bristol , again no chassis number listed.

Below  on next post are the pictures I have of Jim'.s Ace Bristol in Canada in the early 1960's  

Hope this helps

[b]David Di Francesco [/b]

Thank you to David Di Francesco for the above email,  :)  ..  ..   David's pictures  to follow  in separate posting.  :)

Definitely not BEX333

More research to ID Jim Milligan's White Ace  BEX437 ?
Was it originally ..  ..   Owned and Raced by Constabaris ?   Then bought and raced by Jim Milligan ?? then resold and cobra-ised .. :'(

Keith

« Last Edit: May 25, 2019, 14:47:43 by AC Ace Bristol »

nikbj68

• View Profile
« Reply #192 on: October 21, 2018, 22:44:03 »
Better late than never?  :-[
Sorry for the delay in posting! I have managed to improve the images from the magazine originals:

I love the Aceca towing the Ace!  8)