Author Topic: Aceca vin number? Aceca for sale  (Read 10132 times)

Vincent998

• View Profile
Re: Aceca vin number? Aceca for sale
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2020, 16:34:48 »
Hi All:

The Aceca in question has been sold to me. During the rebuild, we will be completely stripping the body and frame and hope to find at least one other possible VIN number after we have removed the paint etc.

As far as I can determine, the motor, transmission, and overdrive that are included separately with the car are not original to it; at some point they seem to have been shipped from the UK. I assume that they came from a single car, but whether it was an Ace, an Aceca, or something else I don't know. The motor number is CLB 2416 91 NT. However, any information regarding the VIN of the car the drive train came from, or indeed any info about my car, is most welcome. Given that the two possible numbers found on the left hand door frame (526 or 527) are those of existing cars in the UK, it is indeed a puzzle.

Any information any one can add about the original VIN of my car or the source of the included drive train is extremely welcome.

Thanks for any help!!
« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 17:26:56 by Vincent998 »

Flyinghorse

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2020, 21:39:22 »
Could it be BE576 as that had a V8 and the grille in the picture on Eby has the slot for Bristiol start handle, and this car ended up in the states?

Vincent998

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2020, 00:15:59 »
Thanks for your reply! It could not - the numbers 526 are very clear. I've attached a photo of the numbers, which are near the upper hinge of the left hand door. The windshield of the car has the two lower corners sharply angled, which I believe means it's an earlier car. I don't know when (that is, by year and VIN) the windshield shape changed, perhaps someone in the club knows? That would at least put an upper boundary on the age, which would help.

Flyinghorse

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2020, 00:53:37 »
I think its not clear its 526--the 6 is crossed out with an x in your photo  and pin punched 7-you would have to pull a lot more evidence from round the car that its 526. Its also LHD  so would be AEX not AE.
There is also blue paint under the red in the roof area which may be original and 526 was green.
Not trying to be problematic but if 526 is (According to others) in the UK ,RHD and undergoing restoration , what do you have?
Will be an interesting story no doubt.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 01:00:41 by Flyinghorse »

Vincent998

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2020, 01:00:10 »
Yes, I understand and do agree that it's probably an AEX car - but the 52 is quite clear, wouldn't you agree? So if they are correct, it would have to have a VIN from 520 to 529. 526 and 527 have already been ruled out, leaving the remainder. If it's not 52X, then why are those numbers there? As has been pointed out, the cars were built by hand individually, so it seems unlikely that it's a door from a different car - and even if it is, that still means the door came from a 52X VIN.

AK1161

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2020, 06:23:36 »
The other interesting thing is that the numbering is stamped on  wood.
I am happy to be corrected but this is the first time I have ever heard of AC doing this.
However the font looks period.

dkp_cobra

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2020, 07:39:18 »
The other interesting thing is that the numbering is stamped on  wood.
I am happy to be corrected but this is the first time I have ever heard of AC doing this.
However the font looks period.
BE646 had also it's number stamped  into the wood (doors).

B.P.Bird

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2020, 23:24:38 »
Ash frames were mostly stamped with the car number e.g. G'hound boot frame and Aceca door frames. I have never seen the works use a centre punch to alter a number. Despite various components being hand fitted and numbered for individual vehicles there are many examples of the works doing a mix and match to finish and/or repair cars. In this case the numbers on the substitute items would not match the car number.
I would be pretty confident that the door numbered '526 was so marked at Thames Ditton and that the alteration to a centre punched '527 was a subsequent non works alteration.
If '526 is available in the U.K. it would be interesting to see the number stamped in her door. Looking at all the '52x possibilities would not move you further forward. It is almost certain that the car number will be shewn elsewhere in the structure when you look. Be careful when you clean the back side of panels as under the dirt, oil and underseal there may be a scribbled number, made by a panel man with a lead pencil, after he had achieved the correct fit.
Finally can you look back through any surviving paperwork to find any identification of of chassis or engine ?
Last chance maybe an enquiry to DVLA to see if the Registration Mark has any history recorded: Originally the registration documents would shew the information you seek, even part information would help - for example a keepers name on Logbook or V5 might tie in with a name on the Aceca register.
Good luck with the project, nice to see the correct engine going back in the car
Barrie

DHAceca

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2020, 08:49:27 »
Hi All
I own AE 526 with all correct documentation, full history of all owners including AC build log confirming first owner. Not only is every part marked and stamped 526 but the car also carries the original correctly stamped chassi plate. It is correctly registered with the DVLA and I have had confirmation all is present and correct from the DVLA
The car is on the last stages of a full nut and bolt restoration and hope it will be on the road again soon

B.P.Bird

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2020, 13:16:09 »
Vincent just one question: Why would you suppose this was an AEX Aceca ? The photo' seems to shew the steering wheel  as a RHD car and that is a UK Registration Mark on a UK style number plate. Surely it will be an AE number ?
Barrie

Vincent998

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2020, 15:27:23 »
I think the car you are looking at above is not my car, it's the "real" AE526, which is in the UK. My car is LH drive and has no plates etc. I've attached a couple of photos.

AK1161

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2020, 16:02:59 »
The dash photos in the add tell you this car was LHD and therefore will be an AEX........It is too early to be a BEX car.
So you have already narrowed it down ( a bit )
When stripping the paint back I would take great care and try to identify the original colour as if no other marks can be found this may be your only chance of really narrowing it down to a handful of options.
Good luck, Luke

Flyinghorse

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2020, 01:00:54 »
Given Aceca doors are a pain to fit, if  there  were a number of cars in assembly at the same time could a door not have been swapped even with stamped numbers to get a better fit?

I posted the picture of Ae526 bearing its number SOC1 when it was pulled from the garage where it sat with the greyhound and ace when discovered.

The second mystery is how AE526 lost this number SOC1 when the car had no mot ( even mot exempt cars must get an mot to transfer the number) so the plate not Legally transferable , and is just finishing a nut and bolt rebuild. I assume SOC1 is not going back on  AE526 as it’s on a Ferrari at present. How can that happen? Is it right?
« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 01:07:41 by Flyinghorse »

DHAceca

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2020, 17:40:52 »
Hi
I am the owner of AE526 and have been restoring it steadily since acquiring it once it had been recovered with the other two cars. It is registered as such with the DVLA and yes I was puzzled by the loss of its number plate? It is now registered as 948YUS and I hope to have it back road worthy in the near future.
David

Vincent998

• View Profile
Re: Aceca VIN number found!
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2020, 00:09:21 »
Hi All!

Today I made a close search of the car and found what must be the correct VIN number (photo attached). My car is AEX 531, apparently lost until now. I found the number punched into the wood frame of the rear hatch between the two hinges. The car is listed in the 2014 register as AEX 531, Ex Factory 03/10/1955, steel blue body and red interior. As of 2014, nothing was noted for last known owner, location, or additional information. I've attached a photo of the number and another of the original paint. As suggested by a poster, the numbers on the door (526/7 must have been the result of swapping doors during assembly.

Many thanks to all of you for your comments and useful advice! I will be asking lots of further questions about various bits that are missing from the car, and appreciate your patience and help.