Author Topic: Spare Tire Fixing Nut  (Read 10387 times)

rr64

• View Profile
Spare Tire Fixing Nut
« on: December 07, 2008, 12:22:24 »
Original cast aluminum Cobra spare tire holding nut wanted. Will buy outright or try to help you find something for your original Cobra in trade. A Cobra owner whose car still has its original wing nut took these images for me.

I have been using a reproduction since 1983 and would dearly love to find a nice original. This part is nearly, excluding exhaust piping, the only original metal part my old car is missing.

Thanks for looking.

Dan Case
   CSX2310
   CSX2551
   rollright64@aol.com
Dan Case
1964 Cobra owner since 1983, Cobra crazy since I saw my first one in the mid 1960s in Huntsville, AL.

Robin A Woolmer

• View Profile
Spare Tire Fixing Nut
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2008, 12:56:29 »
I realise you require an authentic original part but it is relatively easy to reproduce these as a castings from an original pattern, shrinkage allowance is created by coating the original with wax or some other material & may be used in a sand casting process as appears was used originally.
   I am sure you can do this in USA but would suggest owners could all club together & have these made!
   Robin

rr64

• View Profile
Spare Tire Fixing Nut
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2008, 13:07:58 »
Robin,
   Great idea but as rare as these are in the USA in unmolested condition (people use to sand and polish or even chromium plate them) I haven't found anybody that would even allow me to borrow a mint condition original one. I understand. I wouldn't ship off the rarest parts of my car either. I know a shop to do the casting if I had a sample. If I ever do get one for my car I will at least get as far as obtaining quotes for copies as having parts made as I need them is more common than I wish it were. I can spread the cost of making parts for my use if I get other Cobra owners interested in some also. I started a group of original Cobra/427 Cobra owners that occassionally has one member having a run of parts made to fill the desires of any in the group that want to participate. Helps from two to many owners at once.

There are two different reproductions that I have seen and both are very clearly just parts to do the job. The makers made no attempt to replica the original part.

The originals that I have gotten to examine were die castings. Making casting a die to make a few parts is very expensive based on Internet searches of such services.

Dan
Dan Case
1964 Cobra owner since 1983, Cobra crazy since I saw my first one in the mid 1960s in Huntsville, AL.

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
Spare Tire Fixing Nut
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2008, 13:34:07 »
quote:
Originally posted by rr64

Original cast aluminum Cobra spare tire holding nut wanted. Will buy outright or try to help you find something for your original Cobra in trade. A Cobra owner whose car still has its original wing nut took these images for me.

I have been using a reproduction since 1983 and would dearly love to find a nice original. This part is nearly, excluding exhaust piping, the only original metal part my old car is missing.

Thanks for looking.

Dan Case
   CSX2310
   CSX2551
   rollright64@aol.com

Dan

B4 you start trying to reinvent the wheel,  Visit the Ace/Aceca section of this Forum,  scroll back to 9th April 2008  " Spare tyre hold down" by AEX125   ...   ...  You will find 16 or so correspondence which could save you time, money and frustration.

779  hits indicates your not the only Ace & Cobra Custodian seeking one of these illusive retainers.

If negative, Contact Ron Leonard in Durango USA  ( 970-259-0108 Old number from 1997 not sure if it still the same )or try Tony Michaels the ACOC Chairman who had the initial batch made...  if you dont ask you dont get !!  Please keep both the Ace / Aceca Forum and the Coblers section ...  oooppss The Cobra section updated.

Keith

rr64

• View Profile
Spare Tire Fixing Nut
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2008, 17:44:31 »
quote:
Originally posted by AC Ace Bristol
   Dan
   B4 you start trying to reinvent the wheel,  Visit the Ace/Aceca section of this Forum,  scroll back to 9th April 2008  " Spare tyre hold down" by AEX125   ...   ...  Keith

Keith,

I really don't desire to reinvent parts. I have a reproduction nut as stated the in original post. I seek an original part. I have been on the search since 1983 and off. This has got to be one of the rarest toughest parts to find from an original installed in 1963-64 perspective goes. I have located prototype Shelby parts of which only three or four were ever made easier. (At least even the rarest Shelby sourced part is typically recognized as something to keep with a car. I wonder how many spare tire nuts went in the trash for cars that were raced or left on the side of a road someplace.....ahhh don't need that anyway.)

Function isn’t the issue. I have used a reproduction nut since 1983. Money isn’t the issue, I just haven’t found an original unmolested one for sale at any price.

A problem is this country with very many Cobra details is that so few original parts of certain types are left that early reproductions have become accepted as original. There are still some original owner cars that attend events over here. I have heard some interesting "discussion" between a concours judge and original owner that has books of photos and documents dating back to the show room floor when the judge tells them they will loose points because their car doesn't have the club accepted replacement parts on it. Ouch! Worse still, has happened to me, yours can't be original because that is not the way (insert name of one of several builders) makes new ones right now.

Leads on obtaining an original from 1963-65 would be apppreciated.

Dan
Dan Case