Author Topic: Front Stub Axle  (Read 5329 times)

jmohara

• Owner of AK1099
    • View Profile
Front Stub Axle
« on: October 08, 2019, 01:50:21 »
Managed to break one at the weekend (!). Any ideas where I can get a replacement?
Also does anyone have the front bearing part numbers (inner and outer?
Thanks
M

westcott

• View Profile
Re: Front Stub Axle
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2019, 18:31:51 »
For the stub axle or spindle maybe Gerry Hawkridge, Redline Engineering or Steve Gray in the UK can help .

In the US Kirkham, Thomas from "Cobraracing.com" in Torrance, Nickel Acton from Actoncustoms.com or Cobrarestorers have something.

I have a outer bearing in my garage somewhere,  need to check.

Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler!

jmohara

• Owner of AK1099
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2019, 18:45:54 »
Thanks Uwe,
Its a joy - lots of stub axles - all slightly different dimensions!!!!
We are working on it!
M

1985 CCX

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2019, 23:20:23 »
Kirkham or Thomas are the best in US
Jeff Gagnon
AC MKIV #1085 and CSX2375r
GagnonJeffreyS@gmail.com

Flyinghorse

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2019, 08:52:36 »
M
Did the incident happen in motion or in the garage when trying to get the nut off. It looks like there is a heat issue on the taper ( black marks) .
Interested from a safety point -this link had a lower front ball joint that broke a few years back.
https://www.acownersclub.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=2966.0

Graham
« Last Edit: October 12, 2019, 08:55:52 by Flyinghorse »

jmohara

• Owner of AK1099
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2019, 11:31:36 »
Hi Graham,
It broke in steps when driving. Heard a small metallic noise and the steering jerked slightly. Slowed way down and it did it again. Pulled in - his was very hot. Decided to move it to a safe spot and call for a trailer - as I was moving it snapped - steering wheel was all over the place.
I blame myself - the car had been parked up since 2000 when I bought it. I have changed or serviced almost everything. It was running amazing. But hadn't checked the bearings at the front. Kicking myself now!
M

jmohara

• Owner of AK1099
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2019, 11:33:33 »
Jeff,
Nick Acton at Acton Custom Enterprises up in your part of the world is amazing.
Michael

Flyinghorse

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2019, 19:11:34 »
Michael
Thanks for sharing that. Was a lucky escape with no bodily or panel injuries!
Graham

jmohara

• Owner of AK1099
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2019, 21:27:29 »
Just some learning from me.

On the AC MKIV parts list the front bearings kit is SKF VKBA 988. The front and rear bearing in this kit were correct. The rear seal was too small for my car.

After a lot of messing around at the parts store, we found a seal that worked perfect - US Federal Mogul #481195.

Just posting this in case anyone has the same issue.

Michael

B.P.Bird

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2019, 15:38:33 »
Interesting to consider the failure mode: If the stub axle spindle failed first the bearing would not be distressed, but it is, see the photo', so it follows that the bearing failed first: Likely because the grease had dried out over the long hibernation ? However the failing bearing would have been making all sorts of distress calls before reaching the catastrophic failure displayed in the photo'. All of which begs the question of why the stub axle spindle is missing the last 1/2" or so ?
It looks as though the failing bearing started to spin on its seat some time before complete failure, but that would not in itself break the spindle, especially out on the threaded section which is clear of the seat. So, to speculate, did the spinning outer bearing, inner cone, weld itself to the inner face of the retaining washer ? This would then spin with the failing bearing 'machining' out the flat on its ID which is designed to keep the washer stationery. The washer would continue spinning, driven by the taper bearing inner cone which is now welded to it. The pinnacle nut and split pin would remain stationary and retain the wheel, for the time being. However the spinning washer is up against the stationary nut and friction would generate welding heat again. The nut would weld on to the washer and spin, shearing the split pin in its castellations.
Now this nut is on the stbd. side and as it spins will tighten down the spindle threads with a very large torque being generated on the bearing stack (on the port side it would undo the nut.) So did the threaded portion of the spindle simply fail because the nut pulled it apart ? If the spinning parts were welded, albeit perhaps briefly, there would be evidence on the mating surfaces and a sheared split pin. The forces involved would brinell the inner bearing as well.
Whatever the failure mode the lesson is careful maintenance and senses attuned to the mechanical messages your car is giving you - ideally funny noises and vibrations, pulling through the steering wheel or any other odd sensations should be investigated and resolved before complete failure occurs.
With apologies for being wise after the event
Barrie

jmohara

• Owner of AK1099
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2019, 17:34:17 »
Well Barrie,
A lot deeper than me on this! I honestly saw, felt or heard no evidence before the event - and I have been driving carefully and checking everything after every run - so I was surprised by the severity of the failure....
But I am annoyed with myself - I know without the analysis that I should have checked them....
But onwards....
M

1985 CCX

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2019, 22:07:47 »
Michael

All due respect, many have been bitten in NH .....
Jeff Gagnon
AC MKIV #1085 and CSX2375r
GagnonJeffreyS@gmail.com