Author Topic: Aces in Movies  (Read 76073 times)

GaryC

• View Profile
Aces in Movies
« on: November 13, 2008, 06:03:37 »
Just wondering if (like some other marques) someone out there tracks movies that used Aces in them.  BEX402 has  a heavy steel mount behind the drivers seat and also some vintage steel plates welded to the front frame tube ends.  A pretty knowledgeable fellow confirmed today that these would have been for a camera mount next to the drivers head and the front plates would have been for towing behind a camera truck for in car shots.  This was a Hollywood close delivery when new and it might also explain the windscreens.  Anyone recall seeing a red '58 Ace in an old movie??

nikbj68

• View Profile
Aces in Movies
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2008, 06:37:23 »
Someone does indeed track Cars in movies, The Internet Movies Cars Database, and there`s an AC Cars page.
   It is, however not an exhaustive list, With several ommisions I can think of.(Where`s Elvis in his Cobra in 'Spinout' for example?)

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
Aces in Movies
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2008, 16:36:55 »
quote:
Originally posted by nikbj68

Someone does indeed track Cars in movies, The Internet Movies Cars Database, and there`s an AC Cars page.
   It is, however not an exhaustive list, With several ommisions I can think of.(Where`s Elvis in his Cobra in 'Spinout' for example?)

Quickly scanned through the 8 or 9 pics of AC Aces in various films.

Fasinating,  But of little interest,  However ...  Can ID one ace Bristol ...   ... registration number  1EKT, which is a 1959 Ace Bristol, the car has been around a bit with various registration plates since 1959.

Origonally bought by R Walker in Kent (UK) on 15/04/1959. registered
   998JGP, then 1EKT, then 899EHP, STH11, CB8  and OCB58.

Last known in Austria.

BE1056 ( eng no 100D2976 ) Where is it now ?  Who owns it /  Club member ?? Any info appreciated to update ACOC Ace Bristol register.

Keith

GaryC

• View Profile
Aces in Movies
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2008, 16:51:15 »
Thanks for checking.  I thought it might be sort of a long shot.  Gary

nikbj68

• View Profile
Aces in Movies
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2008, 22:39:55 »
I think it is quite possible with all that hardware bolted to it that the Ace would not have actually appeared in the movie(s) it was involved in, rather like this Cobra & GT40 as used in the making of the movie 'GRAND PRIX'

GaryC

• View Profile
Aces in Movies
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2008, 17:16:24 »
That is also a good possibility.  The plates welded in the front for towing still make it a mystery.  It might have been used for commercials or something less significant.  The plates can be seen at http://www.flickr.com/photos/4x4woodie/  GC

aex125

• View Profile
Aces in Movies
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2008, 04:37:18 »
Gary,
   Did your source tell you how they mounted the camera next to the driver's head with that plate in the trunk? It looks like the mount would put the camera behind the driver's seat unless the perspective of the picture makes it look like it is in a different position.
   Jay

GaryC

• View Profile
Aces in Movies
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2008, 04:57:23 »
From what I can guess, the tube that ran thru the bulkhead was very strong and would have had a 90 degree elbow that went straight up behind the seat.  The seat would have had to have been moved foward only about 1" from full back position to allow for 2 1/2" of clearance.  A camera mount platform would have been attached at the proper height. It looks like this would have been just to the right of the drivers head. This is all speculation but the only logical use unless someone has a different idea. Gary

aex125

• View Profile
Aces in Movies
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2008, 04:11:59 »
Gary,
   Based on the location of the tube and the towing setup, I would guess it was used for cockpit and driving shots so it was probably one of the main driving cars in whatever it was in. Maybe a stand-in for a Cobra in an Elvis or Love bug movie?
   BTW, not sure where you live in exactly, but hopefully the fires over the weekend were not in your immediate vicinity.
   Jay

GaryC

• View Profile
Aces in Movies
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2009, 05:09:15 »
Today I had an unbelievable discovery re the history of BEX402.  An  email was fowarded to me from a mechanic who worked for the US importer of my Ace, Jay Chamberlain Automotive here in Burbank, Calif in 1958.  He was sure he knew this car because it was damaged (oil pan only) while "borrowing" it after hours to race in the LA River (concrete channel) after which he was fired then rehired.  We talked today and Jay Chamberlain only had two Aces while he was there...a blue one and a red one.  Then came the best news, BEX402 was the car used in a 1959 movie called "On The Beach" with Gregory Peck, Fred Astaire, etc.  I am ordering the movie on dvd but apparently the car was promiently featured with roll bar in some racing clips.  Will update this once the movie is in hand.  Jay Chamberlain also had a huge roll in racing history, mostly Lotus, and the Hollywood car guys in those days.

Classicus

• View Profile
Aces in Movies
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2009, 10:14:05 »
Hi Gary

Don't know if this is of any help ? (I was a fan of Ava Gardner !)

http://delarue.net/beach.htm

Paul [:)]

GaryC

• View Profile
Aces in Movies
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2009, 17:27:34 »
I watched the movie and learned a few things.  First, a movie about a nuclear cloud that destroys humanity is not alot of fun although the cast was famous and Academy Awards were won.  Also, its pretty hard to identy a swarms of vintage cars in a death race where the action is speeded up for dramatic effect...being on dusty Riverside Raceway doesn't help either.  Anyway, I couldn't clearly make out the Ace.  However, to support the claim of only two Aces sold at Jay Camberlain (one Red, one Blue), BEX403 sold not too long ago here in California and its BLUE!  So although not documented, the history of BEX402 has roots.

GaryC

• View Profile
Aces in Movies
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2009, 02:20:10 »
Final update:  I found a website centered on Riverside Raceway with a number of pages dedicated to the making of the movie...pretty interesting reading with alot about the cars and drivers, stunts, etc.  See "http://home.roadrunner.com/~fsheff/pits5.htm".

The studio article lists the driver of the Ace as John Timanus...a very well known international racer (mostly Lotus) involved with the development of some of the Shelby cars and ultimately the Tech chief for the SCCA (inducted in the SCCA Hall of Fame this year).

So we have a salesman in 1958 who knew the car, imported by a Lotus dealership owned by a well known Lotus racer, who supplied the car for the movie driven by another renown Lotus racer, with a listing of the car/driver in a studio production archive, in Hollywood central to Riverside Raceway.  John Timanus (try googling him) passed away with family contacts so early pictures will be difficult.  A few more pics of BEX402 are at "http://www.flickr.com/photos/4x4woodie/".

tim isles

• View Profile
Aces in Movies
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2016, 18:57:01 »
Aces in films. A friend told me about the 1956 British film, 'The Weapon', in which an Ace features prominently. The registration number of the car is PXT 338. I have in the past intended to ask on the Forum if anyone knows of this car, which I believe to be AE 50. News of the car in this film has nudged me into action.

I have some period pictures of this car, and given the high survival rate of early RHD Aces I think by process of elimination there is a good chance that PXT 338 could be AE 50. If it is AE 50 then the car lives on, but it seems it may have been parted out to repair another. But I cannot be sure of this.

While Nik's rates for posting pictures still remain quite reasonable I propose to send him some early photographs of the car with the request that he kindly uploads them.

Can anyone add anything please? Thank you, Tim.

nikbj68

• View Profile
Aces in Movies
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2016, 21:27:18 »
I think I need to review my tariffs!
   Here are Tim's photos, one showing a handy-sized dent in the nearside wing!