Author Topic: Footbox/Steering column questions  (Read 3866 times)

aex125

• View Profile
Footbox/Steering column questions
« on: November 09, 2008, 16:45:22 »
This time I have more serious question on 1078. I am piecing together all of the bits I have to understand what I am missing, versus what I need to make and have a couple of footbox/steering column questions.
   1. How does the steering column get put through the footbox? With the steering box on one end, and the larger mount on the dash end, it looks like the column will not go through the hole in the footbox with out some level of disassembly. Do I need to take the column apart somewhat or is there a special trick I do not know?
   2. In looking at my footboxes I have found the driver's side box seems to be bigger than the passenger side. Some of the pics in Rinsey Mill's book also show some foot box differences, but also shows others that look the same between the sides. Was the driver's side box enlarged at some point in the Ace production?
   3. In looking at where the steering box mounts for the different engine configurations relative to the main tubes; it looks like the AC and Bristol engined versions place the box a couple of inches outboard of the main tubes, while the 2.6 version places it at the edge of the the tube. Was the column mount that is behind the dash placed in a different location for the 2.6 version? It seems unless the dash opening for the column was changed, the mount is probably in the same location and the column angled to mate to the steering box location, but thought I would check to see if anyone knows for sure.
   Thanks in advance for any help
   Jay

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2008, 17:10:22 »
Jay

The steering columm has to be seperated from the steering box, disconnect the wires etc.  Whist doing this you can replace the Rubber boot that sleeves the outer columm and secures to the bulk head.  These are available from Brian Eacott ...  see advert in ACtion magazine.

Not sure about change of angle / location of steering box on main Ace frame re:-  AC engine v Bristol v  2.6 Ford ...  suggest you contact Steve gray at AC Heritage,  Nigel Winchester or Jonathan Bradburn ... all three have or have had various Aces over the years, again full contact details in ACtion every month.

Can confirm dimensions and supply photos if required regards Ace Bristol version.

Keith

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2008, 17:18:59 »
quote:
Originally posted by aex125

This time I have more serious question on 1078. I am piecing together all of the bits I have to understand what I am missing, versus what I need to make and have a couple of footbox/steering column questions.
   1. How does the steering column get put through the footbox? With the steering box on one end, and the larger mount on the dash end, it looks like the column will not go through the hole in the footbox with out some level of disassembly. Do I need to take the column apart somewhat or is there a special trick I do not know?
   2. In looking at my footboxes I have found the driver's side box seems to be bigger than the passenger side. Some of the pics in Rinsey Mill's book also show some foot box differences, but also shows others that look the same between the sides. Was the driver's side box enlarged at some point in the Ace production?
   3. In looking at where the steering box mounts for the different engine configurations relative to the main tubes; it looks like the AC and Bristol engined versions place the box a couple of inches outboard of the main tubes, while the 2.6 version places it at the edge of the the tube. Was the column mount that is behind the dash placed in a different location for the 2.6 version? It seems unless the dash opening for the column was changed, the mount is probably in the same location and the column angled to mate to the steering box location, but thought I would check to see if anyone knows for sure.
   Thanks in advance for any help
   Jay

Jay

BEX333 has a longer footbox on the drivers side, not 100% sure, but believe you could request longer foot box when ordering your Ace.

I cut the top corner off my passenger footbox 50mm x 50mm x50 mm to give more clearance / access to the exhaust manifold. plus the extra space helps when removing and installing the engine.

Why AC never did this as standard ??  cost saving ?

Keith

bex316

• View Profile
    • BEX316
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2008, 17:35:41 »
Jay,

Unfortunately I can't really answer your questions but I would still like to make a few comments on the subject.
   Officially, late in the production run the footboxes were enlarged somewhat. These are known as long legroom cars, starting with BE1153. I mention footboxes, but it could also be the driver's side footbox only.
   I can't really describe the difference but I'm sure others can.
   That said, when I fitted AEX123 for size I remember the legroom to the pedals to be quite small which surprised me as I certainly don't have long legs. I don't believe it was caused by the seat being in a forward position. When later in the same year I bought BEX316 I didn't have that experience at all (still don't).
   I have not been able to compare the two cars afterwards but I still wonder what's causing the difference.

Jerry

aex125

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2008, 03:52:40 »
"The steering columm has to be seperated from the steering box,"

Keith,
   This is the main thing I haven't figured out how to do. It looks like the inner shaft is held on somehow internally, but cannot figure how to get it released. I was also wondering if I had a new mounting piece, (the part that attaches behind the dash) would the rubber bushing be compliant enough to slip over the ass'y?

Interesting info on the foot boxes. I'll have to pull the old ones from AEX125 and see if the pedal location is different from the ones in it now or the old ones from 1078.
   Jay

AE413

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2008, 17:12:08 »
I think you are making this difficult. The whole steering assembly can be removed after removing the steering wheel, drop arm and wiring, and the appropriate shock absorber and taken out downwards between the spring and the wishbone. Assembly is the reverse of dismantling. There are complete instructions in the Ace Handbook, copies of which were available from Brian Gilbart-Smith.

The way you are trying to do the job, I would think it is the stator tube that is holding everything together. You might be able to get it off by releasing the nut, through which the wiring emerges from the base of the column, and drawing the olive off, but I would try to remove the assembly complete. Once removed the rubber gasket can go on over the top of the column without any stretching.

John D

aex125

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2008, 03:41:14 »
John D,
   I am not trying to make it more difficult than needed,  but seem to do that quite frequently. However, in this case I am still missing something that is not covered in the Chassis manual that I have found. In order to get the column through the footbox, the steering box needs to be removed orthe top mount piece (attached to the frame work behind the dash) needs to come off. I am guessing the top piece is the path of least resistance, but on 1078, that piece will not come off the column. This may due to the rubber inner ring being dried out and not compliant enough to slide over the top of the column, but I am not sure if that is the case. If it as simple as yanking that piece off and then replacing the rubber with a new piece, I am good to go. Hopefully, I am making sense with what I am asking.
   Thanks,
   Jay

AE413

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2008, 11:06:20 »
Hello Jay,

Sounds like your Ace, like mine, always puts up resistance to what should be  simple jobs. If you have released the top mount and you can slide it up and down the column at all, it should be possible to slide it right off. Unless your steering column is different from mine, it is the same width right to the top, except for the narrower neck about an inch below the top that prevents the top bearing from sliding down inside the column. There is no stretching of the rubber bush required. If it will not slide at all the rubber must have stuck to the column. Try sliding a craft knife blade between the bush and the column, and perhaps some washing up liquid to help it slide?

Before you just apply force, I am not 100% certain but I think the rubber piece is shaped to fit the groove in the top housing, not just a plain rubber ring, so go a bit carefully in case replacements are difficult to come by.

John D

aex125

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2008, 02:03:53 »
John D,
   I checked 125 tonight and at the top of the column it is exactly as you describe. However, 1078 has a phenolic collar at the top (seems to be attached to the splines) that extends about 1/4" beyond the column diameter. This is the part that is causing me problems, but maybe the piece is supposed to slide off? I didn't have much time to try and coax it off tonight, but if I can get it off, there will be no problem sliding the mount piece off the end.
   Jay

AE413

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2008, 13:28:13 »
Jay,

The phenolic collar should just slide off the splines. There is nothing to fix it, so it must have stuck. Good luck.

John D

aex125

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2008, 03:47:15 »
John D,
   Thanks that should solve that problem, but I'll know for sure this weekend.
   Jay