Author Topic: ACE for Sale  (Read 2641 times)

hannam.john

• View Profile
ACE for Sale
« on: October 28, 2008, 22:04:43 »
Has everone seen the Ace body for sale on http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C65090

bex316

• View Profile
    • BEX316
ACE for Sale
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2008, 23:02:56 »
Thanks for the info, I didn't spot it yet. Interesting.
   Reading from the description it's not only a body (which looks fairly new to me) but more or less a complete car, however missing several vital parts.
   Question is, which car (ID) is it?
   Anyone?

Jerry

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
ACE for Sale
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2008, 00:16:38 »
quote:
Originally posted by bex316

Thanks for the info, I didn't spot it yet. Interesting.
   Reading from the description it's not only a body (which looks fairly new to me) but more or less a complete car, however missing several vital parts.
   Question is, which car (ID) is it?
   Anyone?

Jerry

Jerry

The new body shell was made as original body was going to cost more to repair than have a Polish aluminium body made.

The ID for this Ace Bristol is BEX284 with SCCA racing history.

It had the correct nose made in 2007 but was removed and replaced in 2008 with the 2.6 nose, as it was going to receive a Ford 2.6 engine and gearbox.
   However I believe the correct nose could be available.

The owner ( a ACOC member with initials JA ) is asking about £45K
   along with various other parts, I know of a Suitable rebuilt 100D2 Bristol engine complete with gearbox and overdrive unit which could be available to make this a viable proposition.

Jerry, as I know you will agree, With its racing pedigree it seems a shame for BEX284 to be converted to a 2.6 copy ....   ....  A great opportunity for some one to snap up a great easy project ....  If only I had the spare cash I would buy it myself so both my sons (Barry & Craig) could have one each.

Keith

bex316

• View Profile
    • BEX316
ACE for Sale
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2008, 15:07:47 »
Keith,

Thanks for the detailed info.
   Yes, I fully agree, keeping this car as close to original as possible would be the best choice.
   Going into the trouble and cost of replacing the original nose section with the 2.6 nose seems a bit strange to me!
   How we all wish we could give each of our offspring one of these cars [;)]

Jerry

hawk289

• View Profile
ACE for Sale
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2008, 21:30:27 »
Jerry,

I'm the owner of Bex284, had car for 3 years, I bought the car with all the inner panels, chassis, all running gear and some body parts. I started the restoration with the idea of racing, tried to get a Bristol engine. Could not obtain one, so changed the front to a Ruddspeed (had a few Mays Head's) . The problem is I have too many project cars, Cobra, SP250, Aceca. So one must go!!!

BEX284 was raced for 1 year in 1957 and then sold in 1958, the guy who bought it went out of Keene's show room (Keene the original owner was a VW salesman). The car then crashed into a wall and wrote the front off and side.

I have restored the chassis and the previous owner started to restore the body. So what is for sale could quite easily be converted back to a bristol. As Keith said a good Bristol 100d is for sale and recently someone contacted me who would like to sale the front of an original bristol Ace to someone needing a front. So someone could by the Bristol and front and get an original BEX Ace. I have everything minus windscreen, wiring loom and rear brake drums (oops nearly forgot engine + gearbox).

Please shout if you want to discuss [john_abel289@hotmail.com] I have quite a few people interested.

John