Author Topic: Wire wheel interchange  (Read 2046 times)

aex125

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 381
    • View Profile
Wire wheel interchange
« on: October 12, 2008, 04:44:47 »
1078 is getting closer to being a rolling chassis, but I still need to get some wheels for it as it did not come with any. Do any of the other British cars of the era use the same spline pattern/size as the Ace? For now I am looking to pick up something cheap to get 1078 rolling and there are many used, inexpensive, MG and Triumph wheels around I could buy if they fit.
   I also need a steering wheel and am hoping there is a wheel from a different car that might be readily available. Does anyone know if there is another make with the same spline pattern/size?
   Thanks,
   Jay

AC Ace Bristol

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1438
    • View Profile
Wire wheel interchange
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2008, 16:02:14 »
quote:
Originally posted by aex125
   
1078 is getting closer to being a rolling chassis, but I still need to get some wheels for it as it did not come with any. Do any of the other British cars of the era use the same spline pattern/size as the Ace? For now I am looking to pick up something cheap to get 1078 rolling and there are many used, inexpensive, MG and Triumph wheels around I could buy if they fit.
   I also need a steering wheel and am hoping there is a wheel from a different car that might be readily available. Does anyone know if there is another make with the same spline pattern/size?
   Thanks,
   Jay
   
   Jay
   
   The AC Ace has hub splines of 42 mm Dia with  8 TPI.
   
   The following cars have the same size hub and 8 TPI,  however you will have to check the offset.  If my memory serves me correctly,
   
   Measuring fromthe inner rim to inner hub face is approx 1 7/82 to 2 ".
   
   your car should have wheels with 56 spokes, however stronger but heavier 15" & 16" units are available with 72 spokes.
   
   To get your Ace mobile in the workshop try the following, but remember the offset, check out prior to buying or better still borrowing on semi long term loan.
   
   Aston Martin -  Austin Healey ( 5 Stud ), Daimler dart SP250,
   MG B fitted with Salisbury Axle. all these have 42MM 8TPI hubs.
   
   For accurate details go to: Motor Wheel Services International Ltd.
   
   email:-  info@mwsint.com
   website:-  www.mwsint.com
   
   Alternatively in the USA Go to :-  Dayton Wheel Products.
   115 Compark Road , Dayton, OHIO 45459  tel:  937.438 0100
   fax 937.438 1215
   
   Keith
   
   

aex125

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 381
    • View Profile
Wire wheel interchange
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2008, 17:07:15 »
Keith, Thanks for the link to Motor Wheel Services web site. They have a wealth of technical info there on offsets and backspacing so I should be able to determine what I will be able to put on to allow the car to be rolled around more effectively. The furniture dolly and floor jack I am currently using is working OK, but when I am at the welding stage I will have to move the car outside as I do not really want to weld in a wooden floored workshop. In case anyone is interested, I did some searching on-line last night and it looks like Moto-Lita steering wheels use the same adaptor boss as the big Healeys with the adjustable steering column. I am guessing that means the big Healeys may be a good source for me to find a slave steering wheel while I complete my welding/frame work.
   Thanks,
   Jay

pls01

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 97
    • View Profile
Wire wheel interchange
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2008, 02:27:27 »
Jay,
   I have a spare steering wheel for the Ace in fair to poor condition.  Let me know if you need any dimensions, pictures or want to borrow it for a while.
   Peter

aex125

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 381
    • View Profile
Wire wheel interchange
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2008, 01:42:14 »
Peter,
   Thanks for the offer. I am still at least a few weeks (probably closer to a couple on months) away from needing the wheel so let me see if I can find something local. If not I may take you up on the offer of a loan so I can fit all of the steering bits on the car and get them welded into place.
   Jay
   PS I re-read my earlier post on the Healey steering wheel and realized I was not very clear on the fact that the Moto-Lita adaptor boss is the same for the Big Healeys with an adjustable column and the Ace/Aceca. I presume this means if I find a Big Healey wheel, it will work for the Ace.

AC Ace Bristol

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1438
    • View Profile
Wire wheel interchange
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2008, 19:09:25 »
quote:
Originally posted by pls01
   
Jay,
   I have a spare steering wheel for the Ace in fair to poor condition.  Let me know if you need any dimensions, pictures or want to borrow it for a while.
   Peter
   

   
   Jay
   
   Moto_Lita   still manufacture the correct style three spoke wooden steering wheel in I believe two sizes.
   
   They should have details / data to make a copy of the correct teering wheel boss for the AC Ace / Aceca.
   
   Check out their web site  ...  www.moto-lita.co.uk
   
   e-mail:  info@moto-lita.co.uk
   
   tel: 00 44 (0) 1264 772 811
   
   they are based on Thruxton racing Circuit in Hampshire England.
   
   Keith

aex125

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 381
    • View Profile
Wire wheel interchange
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2008, 05:34:13 »
Keith,
   Thanks for the Moto-Lita link and I am following some leads here in the colonies. I also was talking to one of my neighbors about my wheels and he said he would loan me some 13" spridget wire wheels if they would work for me. Luckily, they do and so now I am rolling. In fact, the lower stance of the wheels is starting to grow on me so maybe I'll stay with the 13"......
   Jay
   
   

nikbj68

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2145
    • View Profile
Wire wheel interchange
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2008, 07:12:07 »
Hahahaha....what a difference 2" can make!
   I can`t quite tell what`s on the TV...."Chop,Cut,Rebuild" perhaps?

Robin A Woolmer

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 579
    • View Profile
Wire wheel interchange
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2008, 11:22:27 »
I do hope you will bring the Ace back to the original specification & shape including the engine etc, they certainly deserve this.
   I am certain the club would appreciate this!
   Robin

nikbj68

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 2145
    • View Profile
Wire wheel interchange
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2008, 12:27:33 »
quote:
Originally posted by Robin A Woolmer
   
I do hope you will bring the Ace back to the original specification & shape including the engine etc, they certainly deserve this.
   I am certain the club would appreciate this!
   Robin
   

   I agree with one caveat. Period modifications of particular note or importance to the vehicle`s history should be retained, where possible.

AC Ace Bristol

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1438
    • View Profile
Wire wheel interchange
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2008, 20:17:03 »
quote:
Originally posted by aex125
   
Keith,
   Thanks for the Moto-Lita link and I am following some leads here in the colonies. I also was talking to one of my neighbors about my wheels and he said he would loan me some 13" spridget wire wheels if they would work for me. Luckily, they do and so now I am rolling. In fact, the lower stance of the wheels is starting to grow on me so maybe I'll stay with the 13"......
   Jay
   
   
   
   

   
   Jay
   
   Keep to the 16" wheels, one they are period,  two they fill the arches, three you can get under the car and four you will wear the seat out of your pants .
   
   Seriously. Put AEX1078 back to Period Thames Ditton Spec, preferrably with AC lump.  or Bristol or the cheaper option 2.6 ford power...  ...  all period and all great fun to drive on the Track & Road.
   
   Keith

aex125

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 381
    • View Profile
Wire wheel interchange
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2008, 21:36:20 »
hehehe, No Nick I think it was "Pimp my LBC" I was watching. I was trying to get ideas on how to put a couple of subwoofers in the trunk because Aces do not draw enough attention without adding some type of attention getter.
   In case everyone else didn't realize it, I was only joking about keeping the 13" wheels on there. The pictures do not do it justice, but the 13"ers look absolutely hysterical on there especially with the wide hips at the rear.
   
   As for the body, when I finally get to that point, (many years away at the pace I am moving) 1078 will be going on a diet to fix the oversized hips (and front flares) and also receieving a nose job to get rid of the Franken-nose. Unlike the mods done on 125, these were  done very poorly and need to be exorcised.  Fear not, when completed it will be much closer to how it left Thames Ditton, although it will probably not be exact.
   Jay