Author Topic: Rear Stub Axle nuts  (Read 2582 times)

aex125

• View Profile
Rear Stub Axle nuts
« on: October 08, 2008, 06:25:47 »
In trying to put 1078's rear hubs on I have run into a problem with the slotted nut that goes onto the stub axle. From what I have found out there are 2 sizes that were used, 5/8" BSF and a larger size. 1078 has the larger size which I think is supposed to be 3/4" BSF. However, when I try to fit a 3/4" BSF nut on, it does not go on easily and when I force it, it seems to be removing some metal from either the nut or axle. I bought a 3/4" BSF die to chase the threads and tried spinning it on, but it only goes on a 1/8th of a turn and binds up. Before I really start using the die and do irreversible damage,  does anyone know for sure what size and thread the large version of the rear nut should be. Whitworth maybe instead of BSF?
   Thanks,
   Jay

Robin A Woolmer

• View Profile
Rear Stub Axle nuts
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2008, 18:08:41 »
3/4'' BSF has a 12 threads per inch, 5/8''BSF has 14 TPI, you should be able to check this with a thread gauge!
   I suppose it could be UNF & if so the 3/4''UNF has 16 TPI!
   It would be worth purchasisng a set of thread gauges & checking the actual threads before proceeding further.
   I am not an owner of an ACE or ACECA so cannot give you chapter & verse on the actual specification.
   You should be able to purchase a thread gauge from any tool store or on Ebay, they do not cost very much & would be helpful for the future.

Robin

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
Rear Stub Axle nuts
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2008, 19:20:33 »
quote:
Originally posted by aex125

In trying to put 1078's rear hubs on I have run into a problem with the slotted nut that goes onto the stub axle. From what I have found out there are 2 sizes that were used, 5/8" BSF and a larger size. 1078 has the larger size which I think is supposed to be 3/4" BSF. However, when I try to fit a 3/4" BSF nut on, it does not go on easily and when I force it, it seems to be removing some metal from either the nut or axle. I bought a 3/4" BSF die to chase the threads and tried spinning it on, but it only goes on a 1/8th of a turn and binds up. Before I really start using the die and do irreversible damage,  does anyone know for sure what size and thread the large version of the rear nut should be. Whitworth maybe instead of BSF?
   Thanks,
   Jay

Jay

Looking through the  "Ace"  General Handbook  pages 46 &47 state
   that the pinnacle nuts are 5/8 BSF.  However there is always the possibility that some one sometime during the history of AEX1078
   has remanufactured components during regular maintainence.

suggest you contact Brian Eacott who used to run the Stores at
   AC thames Ditton and now runs his own business supplying spare parts for ACs. He works closely with ACOC to get parts made,  a true mine of information.

Sorry no email address. However he is Old School and has tel and
   Fax fsacility at home:-

Tel /  Fax :-   0044 (0) 208 397 8472

Mobile No  :-   0044 (0) 7885 945 193

Alternatively try  Keith Jecks who has taken over club spares
   "Acedes Spares Ltd" :  Keith at jecks dot co dot uk

I think the ACOC could well have reproduced front & rear hubs in
   the past,  Stock situation ??

Confucious say " If it doesn't come apart easily or it wont fit easily something aint right ....  go and have a Coffee and come
   back,  all becomes clear, if not phone a friend or contact the Forum "

Keith

aex125

• View Profile
Rear Stub Axle nuts
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2008, 05:39:59 »
Thanks guys.  According to Ron Leonard (the expert on this side of the pond) the later Aces came with the larger stub axles than the 5/8" BSF the manual reflects. I did use a thread gauge and the threads are 12/inch so it must be a 3/4" BSF although I am not sure why the nuts do not fit. I did have to use some persuasion to do the disassembly, so I thought I might have distorted the threads, but I also have a fresh stub axle and the nuts do not fit it either. Could the axle be a jam nut style thread?  I'll have some time tomorrow to take a closer look and see if I can figure anything out.
   Keith,
   Did Confucious really say to drink coffee? I thought he was much wiser and would have probably said to drink something much stronger. At least that is going to be my interpretation.
   Jay

aex125

• View Profile
Rear Stub Axle nuts
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2008, 06:17:02 »
I took a closer look tonight and after deciding the stub axles were really 12 TPI, I took the 3/4" BSF die and went after the threads. On 2 of the axles the die was tough for the first 1/2" and then spun easily for the remaining the length. For the 3rd axle (which was the new one), threading was tough over the entire length, but finally cleaned OK. The final verdict is the axles are 3/4" BSF and just need their threads chased. On a related note in case anyone in the US is interested, I bought the die from British Fasteners (www.britishfasteners.com) and they also had a special on a 5 piece Whitworth combination wrench set for $25. Not super cheap for wrenches, but certainly the most inexpensive set of Whitworth wrenches I found over here in the states.
   Jay