Author Topic: Rack and Pinion Conversion  (Read 4858 times)

aex125

• View Profile
Rack and Pinion Conversion
« on: September 21, 2008, 04:46:22 »
I am thinking about making a change to R & P steering on 1078 and was wondering what options are available. I think Ben Yates did a kit some time back that used an MG rack, but are there any other conversions that have been done by others and what parts are needed other than the rack? I am especially interested in how the steering column is handled for the conversions and if the existing steering box pedastal is used.
   Thanks,
   Jay

Peter Hoskin

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2008, 04:14:01 »
Steering Conversion - I am in the process of installing the Ben Yates conversion kit as part of a total rebuild of my ACECA.
   I have the engine out also dashboard and all car internals so it is easier in my case.
   The kit and the instructions supplied have worked out well, the drawings are very adequate.  It reqires fitting of a sleeve to extend the length of the original Morris Alegro(?) UJ shaft which has to be cut to length to suit particular car and then 3 welds done.
   The position varies between AC, Bristol and Ford engines and L and R drive.  Mine is a RH drive AC engined car and it seems to work out fine. This kit denies the use of the steering wheel direction indicators as it has a solid shaft at the lower end(I suspect all alternatives will have the same problem) but the central horn button is retained by use of a slip ring. Cant report on road performance yet!  ps  existing mounting block not used but can be retained.

Aceca289

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2008, 04:03:05 »
Your post about R & P steering and another member’s e-mail inquiry about the rack and pinion set up on my Aceca (AEX521) led me to look into what components went into converting my car.  My father had always thought the R & P and steering box came out of a Triumph of some sort…although not certain he called the mechanic that performed the conversion in the late 60’s (Walt Peterson – old timers from the SF bay area may recognize the name as he owned a repair shop and worked on many AC’s in this area during the 50’s 60’s and early 70’s) Walt recalls the R&P came out of an MGA...maybe the early MGB’s used the same R&P unit…in either case this adds further support to using the MGB rack. I Googled “MGB Rack and Pinion” and found that Moss motors and others supply a brand new rack that matches the specs of the early MGB R&P.  Walt also recalled that fitting the R&P required a lot of fussing around to get it just right…”the front wheels wanted to turn in at first when the brakes were jammed on hard”…sounds exciting!... Using Ben Yates conversion kit might be the best bet since it comes with instructions and drawings and it sounds like a proven conversion.

I have also lost use of the turn indicator due to the different steering box. I am having a1950’s vintage steering column mounted arm installed to replace the current toggle switch set-up. At least it will match the period hardware in the cockpit.

Good luck with your “project”[:D]

John

aex125

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2008, 06:47:16 »
Peter, Thanks for the information. My car also has the dash, internals, etc out, so any needed mods would be easy. The previous owner also cut out the steering box mount and all of the other steering mounts so that is why I am thinking about making the changeover. Can you explain the shaft lengthening and welding a bit? I am not sure I understand what needs to be modified.
   John, I recognize the Walt Peterson name from many period magazine articles about Bay Area Aces. His name seemed to pop up on a regular basis. I am interested to see what you do with the turn signal conversion you mention if possible. For AEX125 I have a 3 position switch mounted under the dash and would like to replace it with a arm if there is an good way to do it.
   Thanks for the responses.
   Jay

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2008, 10:39:57 »
quote:
Originally posted by aex125

I am thinking about making a change to R & P steering on 1078 and was wondering what options are available. I think Ben Yates did a kit some time back that used an MG rack, but are there any other conversions that have been done by others and what parts are needed other than the rack? I am especially interested in how the steering column is handled for the conversions and if the existing steering box pedastal is used.
   Thanks,
   Jay

Jay

Register on the site, Go direct to Models -  Ace  & then Articles and you will find :-

Parts 1 / 2 & 3 on installation of Rack & Pinion steering by
   Ben Yates  & Simon Bathurst Brown.......  just download and you should have enough info to satisy  and answer all questions. (has
   been available on this club web site for ages )

The Ben yates conversion is well tested on both road & track,
   kits are available off the shelf. If you havent Bens email address
   I can confirm.  ( keith dot lessiter at faac dot co dot uk )

Cheers 4 Now

Keith

Aceca289

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2008, 21:29:57 »
quote:
Originally posted by aex125

Peter, Thanks for the information. My car also has the dash, internals, etc out, so any needed mods would be easy. The previous owner also cut out the steering box mount and all of the other steering mounts so that is why I am thinking about making the changeover. Can you explain the shaft lengthening and welding a bit? I am not sure I understand what needs to be modified.
   John, I recognize the Walt Peterson name from many period magazine articles about Bay Area Aces. His name seemed to pop up on a regular basis. I am interested to see what you do with the turn signal conversion you mention if possible. For AEX125 I have a 3 position switch mounted under the dash and would like to replace it with a arm if there is an good way to do it.
   Thanks for the responses.
   Jay

Jay, I will try to post a photo and description of the vintage turn indicator arm application when the work is complete. I will also see if I can determine the donor vehicle. I’m sure many members with R&P conversions are also using a 3 position switch like you and I.

John

AEX566

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2008, 20:06:19 »

Register on the site, Go direct to Models - Ace & then Articles and you will find :-

Parts 1 / 2 & 3 on installation of Rack & Pinion steering by
   Ben Yates & Simon Bathurst Brown....... just download and you should have enough info to satisy and answer all questions. (has
   been available on this club web site for ages )

The Ben yates conversion is well tested on both road & track,
   kits are available off the shelf. If you havent Bens email address
   I can confirm. ( keith dot lessiter at faac dot co dot uk )

Cheers 4 Now

Keith

Keith,
   Signed in and registered as usual as AEX566, then per your post went to Models > then ACE,  clicked on and got just a picture of ACES, not Articles.  Please tell us Yanks how to get to Ben's Parts 1/2 & 3 installation for R&P.
   Cheers,
   Art

bex316

• View Profile
    • BEX316
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2008, 22:00:44 »
Art,

Signing in to the forum is not the same as the ACOC members login.
   Since you mention AEX566 as the login name you used your personal forum id (and probably password as well).
   The members login is the same for everyone but is only made public in ACtion (the ACOC magazine) on page 5 and changed on a regular basis so only members have access to that area.
   Are you an ACOC member? If not, it's certainly advisable as an Aceca owner!

Jerry

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2008, 00:52:19 »
Art.

If you have problem getting logged on, Go direct to Ben Yates and request details of his R&P package,  Whilst answering your questions he could possibly email the Notes he put on the Club Web site along with those of Simon Bathurst Brown.

Various club members have put in a lot of time, effort, money and research to remanufacture parts and keep our toys on the Road & Track,  Support them and we all benifit without duplicating energies and financial outlay.

Thats one reason for being a member of the ACOC.

Bens email is on same page as Regalia in  ACtion Sept issue page 50.

email :  Kinnertoncourt  at  talktalk  dot  net

Keith

aex125

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2008, 06:23:34 »
Keith,
   As usual, thanks for the lead on where to get detailed information on the installation.
   Jay