Author Topic: 1958 AC Aceca with first Bristol engine?  (Read 4119 times)

Cargirl

• Exceptional Car Broker
    • View Profile
1958 AC Aceca with first Bristol engine?
« on: July 13, 2019, 18:16:24 »
Okay I am confused.  I came across this listing for a 1958 Aceca with a Bristol engine.
Silverstone Auctions - The Silverstone Classic Sale 2019 | Silverstone, 27 July  https://www.classicdriver.com/en/car/ac/aceca/1958/682757

Engine No: 100 D2 813 Bristol D2 engine, the first Aceca fitted with the Bristol engine. First registered 2 July 1958.

If this is correct than how can it be that ACECA's with the Bristol engine 1957 and earlier are eligible for the Mille Miglia if the first one was not produced until 1958 according to this write-up?

Flyinghorse

• View Profile
Re: 1958 AC Aceca with first Bristol engine?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2019, 19:57:16 »
This months Action (pg48)  has a write up on this where its says its the first Aceca to be fitted with uprated122bhp D2 engine. (ie Bristol engines before and after this of differing spec)
            100 AB2 ,B & B2 
                  100C & D       
                      100D2
                      110S

Silverstone write up looks incorrect.

If not a club member it might be worth joining as this and much more info is available in the registry.

Graham
« Last Edit: July 13, 2019, 20:24:53 by Flyinghorse »

Cargirl

• Exceptional Car Broker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2019, 20:34:26 »
Think my membership just expired but have been a member and will continue to be a member.  I have the June Action mag but you must be referring to the July issue.

No matter that won't help someone buying this car because they believe that it is the first Bristol engined ACECA. 

Flyinghorse

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2019, 23:19:58 »
That’s another good reason for potential buyers to join the club. People parting with that amount of money ought to do due diligence/ contact the register/ registrar.
Buying a car based on the verbage put up buy some auction houses - caveat emptor.
 Also would the auction house / vendor not be liable due to miss describing the car?
Graham

Cargirl

• Exceptional Car Broker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2019, 23:40:38 »
I do not believe the auction house is responsible for misrepresenting a car.  It is in the fine print.  Bonham's should know better.  They are known to do their homework on cars.  And this is a sloppy mistake because the 57 and earlier Aceca Bristols are actually Mille Miglia eligible.  Oddly enough so are the AC Ace's but the Bristol engine cars run as well.  Until the organization changes it's mind. 

And it may look like, because I am a broker, I am throwing shade on the auction houses but reading some of the write-ups is like breaking a code.  You have to decipher what they are really saying. If they don't trumpet the fact that the car has its original engine it is a clear indication that the car does not have its original engine.

And yes.  You have to do your homework.  You did not just purchase that OSCA MT4 for $300,000.00 because it was the last car to be auctioned and everyone had left the house leaving you the luckiest guy alive.

Flyinghorse

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2019, 00:16:58 »
Don’t think Bonhams have anything to do with this auction.

Cargirl

• Exceptional Car Broker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2019, 15:35:00 »
My mistake.  It's Silverstone that is mentioned in the first post.  My apologies to Bonham's.  I was thinking of this listing:  https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/25453/lot/319/ AE511 from July 5th.  I am going to assume, given the description and the price it sold for that the engine was not a matching number engine.  I could be wrong.  But I hope I'm not because  that would be a pretty low price for that car in my opinion.

snakey

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2021, 00:41:25 »
Hi all I’m trying to find this car it was my late fathers Graham J Enfield he used to race it back before I was born he was sponsored by Bristol Motors and the engine was the prototype engine made Bristol Motors. 
Please if anyone knows the whereabouts of this car please please please can you get in contact!
« Last Edit: January 09, 2021, 00:45:04 by snakey »

Cargirl

• Exceptional Car Broker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2021, 18:20:41 »
Contact Silverstone (if this is the same car you are referring to).  Tell them that you would like to contact the current owner and they should send your contact information to them.  I have done this with other auction houses when doing research on a particular car and they are usually pretty accommodating.  Not sure if the new owner will be but do give it a try. 

snakey

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2021, 23:26:47 »
Hi and thank you I did contact them they had sold it and I tracked her down just as she was being sold again.   She is now on her way to her new home in Japan.