Author Topic: Aceca door striker/latch  (Read 5637 times)

59 Aceca

• View Profile
Aceca door striker/latch
« on: September 08, 2008, 08:04:30 »
Does anyone know of a source or reference for the door mounted portion of the Aceca's door striker/latch?  I've spoken with Ron Leonard here in the states about them and, while he can supply the receiver plate which mounts to the body, he was not aware of a source for this star shaped wheel which mates with it.  Mine have a lot of play and keep the doors from closing snugly.  I cannot imagine AC built these themselves, instead opting for something that already existed from another manufacturer.  Any suggestions on this would be much appreciated.  If anyone has rebuilt them successfully that would also be good information.

Thanks,

Greg

Robin A Woolmer

• View Profile
Aceca door striker/latch
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2008, 09:56:23 »
try vintage spares (www.vintagecarparts.co.uk).

59 Aceca

• View Profile
Aceca door striker/latch
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2008, 07:47:08 »
Thanks Robin.  Will check with them.

Greg

AEX566

• View Profile
Aceca door striker/latch
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2008, 19:06:43 »
Greg,
   If Robin's referral to Vintage Car Parts isn't successful for the Aceca star shaped door striker/latches, possible the following will be helpful:   The exterior chrome door handles are interchangeable with Rover P4, so possibly both vehicles may have used the same latches.  The AC parts list published in '62 lists the Aceca door latch/locks as 3/4875 (left) and 3/4876 (right).  Possibly someone with access to a Rover P4 (at a car show?) can verify interchangability.  There are several net venders who do supply bits from Rover breaker vehicles.  Incidentally, tried PM you, your email doesn’t work.
   Art

59 Aceca

• View Profile
Aceca door striker/latch
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2008, 17:14:34 »
Art,

Thank you very much for the helpful information here.  I did check out Robin's suggestion and didn't find anything on their website.  Will see what the web produces using your suggestions.  I would be very curious to see what else is on that AC parts list.  Any chance of seeing a scan or suggestions on where to find one?  Regarding the email functionality of the ACOC messaging system, I don't believe it's working.  I've tried exchanging messages with another Aceca owner that lives in my area and we've both been unsuccessful.  If you want to email me at "gsb1159@pacbell.net" that would be great.

Thanks again,

Greg

Ian Rogers

• View Profile
Aceca door striker/latch
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2008, 18:27:29 »
In this months ACtion magazine in the classified section under Acedes spares I notice that there is a Aceca door striker and plate for sale £75. It could be what you are after. I suggest you contact  keith@jecks.co.uk
   I hope it is what you want.

Regards

Ian

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
Aceca door striker/latch
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2008, 19:44:59 »
quote:
Originally posted by 59 Aceca

Does anyone know of a source or reference for the door mounted portion of the Aceca's door striker/latch?  I've spoken with Ron Leonard here in the states about them and, while he can supply the receiver plate which mounts to the body, he was not aware of a source for this star shaped wheel which mates with it.  Mine have a lot of play and keep the doors from closing snugly.  I cannot imagine AC built these themselves, instead opting for something that already existed from another manufacturer.  Any suggestions on this would be much appreciated.  If anyone has rebuilt them successfully that would also be good information.

Thanks,

Greg

Greg

Speaking to Mike Mansergh Aceca owner today he refered me to ACtion Magazine Sept 2004, page 25.

Aceca Door gear.
   Many of the parts required for the  door gear for a AC Aceca can be found in the MG A Fixed Head Coupe of the dsame period.

try  "NTG Motor Services" of Ipswitch England........ contact nos

Tel  00 44 (0)1473 406032..... Fax  0044 (0)1473 743133

ACOC spares used to stock various new and S/H parts,  contact Keith Jecks as suggested by Ian Rogers,

Keith

59 Aceca

• View Profile
Aceca door striker/latch
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2008, 07:43:56 »
Ian and Keith,

Thanks very much for your suggestions.  I noticed the listing in ACtion just after posting this topic and am awaiting confirmation from Keith Jecks on what is actually being offered for sale.  Had no idea that any of the Aceca door hardware was shared with the MG A FHC.  That is great to know.

Best regards,

Greg

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
Aceca door striker/latch
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2008, 10:08:35 »
quote:
Originally posted by 59 Aceca

Ian and Keith,

Thanks very much for your suggestions.  I noticed the listing in ACtion just after posting this topic and am awaiting confirmation from Keith Jecks on what is actually being offered for sale.  Had no idea that any of the Aceca door hardware was shared with the MG A FHC.  That is great to know.

Best regards,

Greg

Hi Greg

Just curious,  Did you evenyually source the Striker and latch for your aceca door ??  Have you had a chance to compare MG A FHC  door mechanism ? I'm sure there are a few more Aceca owners out there, who would appreciate a update to assist in the restoration and general security of their Acecas.

Keith

nikbj68

• View Profile
Aceca door striker/latch
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2008, 11:38:39 »
As a quick fix, would it be possible to swap the mechanisms, left for right, so that the wear is moved to the opposite side, or maybe even remove the gear from the shaft & refit 180° opposed?

Robin A Woolmer

• View Profile
Aceca door striker/latch
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2008, 12:26:25 »
Have you tried asking Brian Eacott as he was in charge of the stores & may know the source ?
   Brooklands Motors should now have the information or be able to request it from AC Ltd.

Robin

59 Aceca

• View Profile
Aceca door striker/latch
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2008, 19:58:53 »
Thanks to all who have sent in their ideas and suggestions on the Aceca latch mechanisim.  I believe the MGA coupe link is going to prove fruitful.  Another ACOC member (thanks Art!) forwarded me a link to www.MGbits.com as well as the two photos from their online catalog below.  Sure looks like the same latch to me.  Just to rule out everything before investing in new latches I'm in the process of replacing the non-original furflex on the car in hopes that it resolves the problem.  If not, I will pursue the new latches.

Thanks again,

Greg