AC Owners Club Forum > AC Weller Engine

Spark plugs

<< < (6/6)

Big col:
I gap them at about 0.025” and it seems to run OK with the plug colour being a light biscuit/grey colour. I use 14mm plugs with adapters to suit. I have also disabled the manual advance retard and use a distributor with bob weights and triple 1 1/8 “ carbs. The voltage regulator has also been updated to a solid state unit, but I still run with point and condenser set up.
It has taken a while for me to get everything settled down and the motor to run smoothly after a complete engine and carburettor rebuild. I can’t say if that is just as it is after a rebuild and running in or if it was me that was crap at tuning.

Big col:
Good fun, this old car stuff. Out and about today and the car ran great. Better than it has since the rebuild.
But for one small hick up. I don’t know why but there was a slight hesitation on a straight bit of road when the motor seemed to struggle to pull. I was travelling at about 60 to 65, around 3000 rpm or just over, and it wouldn’t give any more. I eased off for a roundabout and geared down, then opened up to pull away up to about 3800rpm and it picked up fine. I haven’t got a clue what it was but it cleared just as quick as it appeared so I am not going to worry about it for now.

SpqrEddie:

--- Quote from: Big col on June 03, 2023, 17:55:49 ---I gap them at about 0.025” and it seems to run OK with the plug colour being a light biscuit/grey colour. I use 14mm plugs with adapters to suit. I have also disabled the manual advance retard and use a distributor with bob weights and triple 1 1/8 “ carbs. The voltage regulator has also been updated to a solid state unit, but I still run with point and condenser set up.
It has taken a while for me to get everything settled down and the motor to run smoothly after a complete engine and carburettor rebuild. I can’t say if that is just as it is after a rebuild and running in or if it was me that was crap at tuning.

--- End quote ---

thank you very much Big Col for your contribution!
0.25 seems in line with what i am beeing suggested.

What the other are doing?

Thanks!!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version