Author Topic: Hello, new here, have a question  (Read 4360 times)

chuckbrandt

• View Profile
Hello, new here, have a question
« on: August 14, 2008, 21:34:27 »
Hello,
      My name is Chuck Brandt and live near Kansas City, USA.  This week I looked at (and took many pictures of) a very nice '58 AC Ace near here with the posibility of buying it.

Only after getting home did I notice something a bit odd about the passenger side inner fender on this car.  There appears to be a chunk missing and you can see the end of the body mount tube.

Unfortunately I didn't notice it soon enought to see what the other side looked like.

My question is should the aluminum inner fender go all the way to the bottom, or is there some kind of "mud flap" type arrangement here that has a chunk missing.  I'm very interested in what should be there originally.

Thanks for any help you can offer,

Chuck Brandt

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2008, 00:29:39 »
quote:
Originally posted by chuckbrandt

Hello,
      My name is Chuck Brandt and live near Kansas City, USA.  This week I looked at (and took many pictures of) a very nice '58 AC Ace near here with the posibility of buying it.

Only after getting home did I notice something a bit odd about the passenger side inner fender on this car.  There appears to be a chunk missing and you can see the end of the body mount tube.

Unfortunately I didn't notice it soon enought to see what the other side looked like.

My question is should the aluminum inner fender go all the way to the bottom, or is there some kind of "mud flap" type arrangement here that has a chunk missing.  I'm very interested in what should be there originally.

Thanks for any help you can offer,

Chuck Brandt

Chuck

Quick visit to my garage,  grovel on my knees... Twice !

yep.. both inner panels and tubes are the same as yours.

Infact looking closer I think I need to give BEX333 a little TLC.
   in this area as mud, salt and s**t sticks in this area and that is a recipe for electrolisys ( Corrossion )

Whats the rest of the Ace like ??  Chassis Number? is the engine AC / Bristol or has it a V8 ??

Please email details plus a pic or two  wether you buy it or not.
   for my reference and keeping the ACOC Ace registers up to date.

Keith dot lessiter at faac dot co dot uk

Cheers 4 Now

Keith

aex125

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2008, 05:58:59 »
Hi Chuck,
   I followed Keith's lead in a session of grovelling and AEX125 (a 1956 Ace) has the inner fender covering the tube on both sides.I will also check AEX1078 tommorrow and see what it looks like. As Keith asked, what condition is the car in and what is the chassis #?
   Jay

chuckbrandt

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2008, 12:24:01 »
Thank you both for checking.  On this car it appears there is something applied over the inner fender panel (see the ridge above the frame tube).  I'll have to investigate further next time I see it.

The car is a AC engined car.  I'll fill you all in on the details on monday, we're still negotiating on price.  It is a very nice original condition car (with a few exceptions).

Chuck

aex125

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2008, 05:59:33 »
Chuck,
   I checked the inner fenders of AEX1078 (they are not mounted) and they have a cut out like the one in your picture. However, I did not find any evidence of any attachment points for a "mud flap" or anything else. It looks like you may have uncovered another minor change from early to late cars. I (and probably others)am very interested in knowing a chassis # and seeing more pics after you hopefully close the deal.
   Jay

chuckbrandt

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2008, 14:10:46 »
Sorry to be so guarded on this, regardless of the outcome I'll post all I know when we finish negotiating.  I promise :)

aex125

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2008, 21:41:49 »
Chuck,
   No aplogies needed as I think we all understand the need for secrecy until the final transaction is completed. I know of 2 instances where a person lost a car by posting too much information when asking questions on a forum. In both cases a person read the info and was able to track down the car and buy it before the original poster knew what happened. Good lucjk and i hope it ends up in you garage.
   Jay

chuckbrandt

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2008, 14:08:15 »
Well, sad to say I decided to pass on this car, at least for now. The seller and I are still on good terms and I plan to check in with him down the road.  It is stunning.   We just didn't get close on price, it's probably nicer than I can really afford.  I think the seller reacted to the sale of another AEX car at over $200K and raised the price after I first heard about it.  Certainly his perogotive but unfortunate for me.

Anyway, the car is AEX 456.  It appears to be in really excellent original condition with only 27,000 miles.  The engine starts right up but to me sounds loose and may have a bit of a knock at idle.  Maybe you guys can tell me if that is normal or an area of concern.  It has been resprayed once in lacquer which is now crazing in several places.  The boot area is covered in overspray which I think should be cleaned off.  Those and the exposed tubes I mentioned earlier are my only real concerns with the car.  To be honest I really want more of a project car so I don't feel guilty about driving it when finished.

Chuck

pjbowman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2008, 23:13:54 »
I saw this car at auction a few years back, in fact I have a bunch of pictures I took back then. Sold at RM in Monterey for about $50K at that time. Unless a lot has been done to the car in the following years (and it doesn't look like it from the pictures), I think the asking price is wildly optimistic. Like you said, owners can set their own price, but I doubt it will ever sell anywhere near this number. Almost a shame they have gotten so expensive.
Peter B.

chuckbrandt

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2008, 03:21:38 »
I don't think much has been done to it since then.  He put a couple thousand miles on it I guess.  It sure is pretty.  I love the color combination.   I honestly wouldn't touch the interior, it's got such a nice patina.

aex125

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2008, 05:57:53 »
Thanks for posting the pictures and the info on the car. Sorry to hear it didn't work out, but as they say on cars, the deal of the century comes along every couple of months and there are more out there.
   Jay

nikbj68

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2008, 10:39:16 »
quote:
Originally posted by aex125

Thanks for posting the pictures and the info on the car. Sorry to hear it didn't work out, but as they say on cars, the deal of the century comes along every couple of months and there are more out there.Jay

Maybe that should be "didn`t work out YET..." Fingers crossed, Chuck.
   It`s getting harder to find 'maintained' rather than restored cars, and personally, the over-restoration that has been the norm lately leaves me cold.
   Although I love the look of this car, the price does seem a bit rich for a non-historied, AC engined car. I like the deal of the century quote, but let`s hope the patience tree bears fruit!

aex125

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2008, 05:21:35 »
Good point Nik with the "yet" and having patience comment. Hoping it works out for you Chuck!
   Jay