Author Topic: Wings & Wheels  (Read 24021 times)

TLegate

• View Profile
Wings & Wheels
« Reply #45 on: August 01, 2008, 16:13:02 »
If I can get that FIA down the runway again, I'll 'ave 'im for brekkie (naturally)

Actually, nobody times those runs do they??! All done very sedately and in the best possible taste. No hooligans in the ACOC!

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
Wings & Wheels
« Reply #46 on: August 04, 2008, 00:53:03 »
quote:
Originally posted by Trevor Legate

If I can get that FIA down the runway again, I'll 'ave 'im for brekkie (naturally)

Actually, nobody times those runs do they??! All done very sedately and in the best possible taste. No hooligans in the ACOC!

Trev

You've missed the point !  The Idea is to exercise the car .... not the guys pushing it back to the paddock.

Now can we try again ??  and take it more seriously this time....

Do not collect £200  ....   Go direct to the nearest Gas station for
   100 +  Octane.

Keith

cobham cobra

• View Profile
Wings & Wheels
« Reply #47 on: August 21, 2008, 12:05:55 »
FYI for any Wings and Wheels "newbie's",

For most of the last two weeks the weather has been wet in Surrey and Dunsfold does not drain well. Steve G and his team do a great job of getting us a good location at the event and hopefully once again we will be parking on concrete. But just a word of advise, maybe put some wet weather shoes in your car and don't take any short cuts across the grass in your car because the ground can quickly turn to bog. Last year was a great day and the forecast for Sunday has got better through the week (so far).
   http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/dayforecast.asp?zipcode=Dunsfold&day=3

I notice on other forums, car clubs that were parked on grass last year are already asking what happens if their cars sink down to the axles.
   See you on Sunday - John.

TLegate

• View Profile
Wings & Wheels
« Reply #48 on: August 25, 2008, 22:48:56 »
You must have taken that shot of me just before I started screaming - stone me vicar, but that runway was wet and when I say those dry weather race tyres were a tad wayward at warp speed.....grip - what grip?? I think my first run was more of a slalom than a straight blat. But we Brits are made of stern stuff and everyone kept it pointing in the right direction (how, I have no idea). Respect to all.

A worrying misfire made me decide to return to the paddock rather than risk a final run in the afternoon, just in case I left a load of internal engine components the whole length of Dunsfold (it did sound rough, but just a flooding Weber) It was then pointed out that the n/s front tyre was about 50% deflated! My lucky day I guess. Hate to consider the consequences of a blow-out somewhere north of 100mph. I think the expression is: Wizard Prang. Anyhoo, MANY thanks once more to Steve et al for a somewhat unforgettable day out (!) and for foolishly entrusting his valuable - and highly desirable - toy to me once more. Cheers Steve - you make 'em and I'll break 'em.

nikbj68

• View Profile
Wings & Wheels
« Reply #49 on: August 26, 2008, 11:53:46 »

A close call. Maybe next year, full tank, full tyres, full sun?

TLegate

• View Profile
Wings & Wheels
« Reply #50 on: August 26, 2008, 21:56:09 »
'Bald' tyres = race tyres

Flat tyre = puncture

aaron

• View Profile
Wings & Wheels
« Reply #51 on: August 27, 2008, 00:35:21 »
quote:
Originally posted by Trevor Legate

'Bald' tyres = race tyres OK NOT WET TYRES !!!!!!!!

Flat tyre = puncture OK SO YOU RAN OVER A NAIL AT 100 MPH !!!!!!!!

nikbj68

• View Profile
Wings & Wheels
« Reply #52 on: August 28, 2008, 21:23:32 »
Just found this on the Pistonheads TVR W&W thread:

Photo by, and posted here with kind permission of 'Mrs.T', R.O of The Surrey TVR Club

TLegate

• View Profile
Wings & Wheels
« Reply #53 on: August 28, 2008, 21:44:32 »
Mr. Steve Clark screaming at me to get 'my' slow old FIA out of his way, unless I'm much mistook....

and I clocked that black Ultima in the background doing its run while I was on the return road. Coo - didn't half shift! I was waiting for it to go airborne....

For me, the highlight (worth the price of admission+) was that there Typhoon Eurofighter with a sound that just went straight through you - Big Boys Toys.

nikbj68

• View Profile
Wings & Wheels
« Reply #54 on: August 29, 2008, 18:29:45 »
By, and posted on behalf of, Trevor Legate: