Author Topic: MKIV wheel well & speedo question  (Read 3284 times)

Jan_AC_MKIV_1227

• View Profile
MKIV wheel well & speedo question
« on: September 27, 2006, 20:49:14 »
Hello all,
       On my MKIV, on the driver side, the black rubber?? of the inside of the wheel well keeps drooping dpwn where you can see the rubber edge on the wheel arch.  I keep "plying" in back in by hand only for it to come loose again.  Anyone ever see this or know how or where to attach it better inside the wheel well??

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated..

Also, since I'm nit picking my car, the speedo below 55 jumps around all over, once over 55, it is steady as can be.  Are they manual cables where I can pull the cable and put graphite in there??

Thanks as always,

Jan

Mark IV

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2006, 23:40:56 »
Jan,
   The fender "weatherstripping" is a standard push-on type seal. If yours is bad I can direct you to a soure for new. However first I would try some weatherstrip adhesive to keep it on the FRP inner fender lip. If needed you can also apply some adhesive to the "bulb" part of the seal to adhere it to the wing.
   Rick

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2006, 01:57:02 »
......... the answer to the speedo cable question is ... most likely there is a sharp bend in the cable .... probably rerouting it may help ...and of coaurse graphite ... are you sure its not removable from the shell.

Ron

Jan_AC_MKIV_1227

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2006, 02:56:17 »
Ron,
      what do you mean removable from the shell?  While on the topic, what is the best way to get at the cable??

Mark IV

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2006, 03:21:48 »
JAn,
   CRawl under the IP and you will see the cable end threaded onto the speedo (the meter, not the skimpy suit) Undo the end and the drive cable can be pulled out of the sheath. Clean it and re-lube it. Graphiote is OK but Ford recommends a graphite/grease mix they used to sell (note that cars today do not have cables, it's all electronic....little guys at the tranny call up to their mates at the guage who move the needle, much like a ships telegraph...) Slide the core back down the sheath and turn it while pushing down until the squared end mates into the female square on the driven gear (sounds sorta erotic, no?) and then re-attach the driven end to the gauge. Open the appropiate beverage and congratulate yourself on being so smart. Hold off on test drive until 1) beverage has worn off 2) You won't be rightously pissed if it didn't fix the problem....

Damn, these cars are fun...
   Rick

Jan_AC_MKIV_1227

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2006, 03:41:23 »
Classic..looks like a Friday night scotch party in my barn with the speedo !!

Rick, as always, thanks

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2006, 03:17:41 »
Jan AC ... MarkIV sounds like he has done this before .... there you have it  ...

did somebody say scotch party ????? is that an invitation ??? LOL

Ron

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2006, 03:18:59 »
Jan sounds like we have a lot in common ... Cobra ... Barn ... wait I better run out and check and see if Baby C is still there?  LOL

Jan_AC_MKIV_1227

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2006, 04:01:51 »
yup barn, cobra. 69 Firebird convertible (wifes car) and a Cub Cadet tractor !!