Author Topic: Le Mans Classic 2020 organisation and feedback/views please.  (Read 6063 times)

GSouthee

• Climate warming bring it on, save heating.
    • View Profile
Hi any news if anyone has taken this on board, was going to check in Action but no sign of it yet!

Would be a shame if the club does not attend.

I have been thinking about offering to take it on but I would not be looking at using ferry for crossing, also not to fussed about the Chateau element but would stick with it for the sake of those that do.

Would those wishing to attend fancy going via Eurotunnel?  Let me know your views before I even bother considering it more in detail.

Cheers  Gary

Ps I note that action has reached Cologne, just not got to me !!!
« Last Edit: June 07, 2019, 11:24:59 by GSouthee »
A car is only original once, but, you can modify it as many times as you like.

My car my rules.

GSouthee

• View Profile
Re: Le Mans Classic 2020 and Action
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2019, 19:02:03 »
So No views then re Le Mans. Clearly none of the those that read my thread have a view or did not intend to go to Le Mans Classic.

I have received this months Action and see no mention of anyone taking over the running of the trip or has someone come forward.

As I said above I may be interested but would like a response from members wishing to go, as to whether Euro tunnel would be an option.

So stop being MUTE and let me know.

This our forum so say something even bugger off.

G

My car my rules.

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2019, 00:22:17 »
Gary

Great to learn you are prepared to organise next years ACOC Le Mans Class, As you know I have organised all of the previous  9 Le Mans Classic events, The ACOC have two Chateau provisionally booked,  The Dunlop Grandstand / Entry Tickets and Passes and Ferry bookings really need to be booked within the next couple of months . As they sell out within  a new months and the Ferry prices escalate.

May I suggest you speak to Andy Shepherd and arrange a date when the three of us could meet, discuss and hand over notes and details of what is involved and give you some guidance on previous LMCs.  This event has proved very popular over the years with as many as 125 members for the Friday Dinner and 55/60 AC's in The Le Mans Circuit ( Excluding those competing ), A Main  Event on the ACOC Calendar supported by  members throughout UK, Europe and as far afield as USA.

Granted you will have your own style and ideas of how you would organise and run the  2020 event.
Please bare  in mind when sounding out prospective participants that many members will be looking at participating in The ACOC 2020 International, the budget for two in one AC is approx. 2750 /3000 Euro, so you may find it difficult to Fill all the  Rooms, (which have to be paid in full ).

Looking forward to  meeting You and Andy, Maybe at the ACOC National later this month  or The ACOC International in July , Where we could discuss and hand over the reigns into your capable hands. 

Would be a great shame if  the ACOC were to loose these two Chateau to another Club and the special ACOC Parking Area in the ideal position in the LMC Village , with such good access to the Dunlop Bridge & Grandstand, toilet facilities , catering  and paddock.  This location was allocated to the ACOC  &  AC Club France due to Jean Marc Dubost knowing  Patrick Peter ,  ( Mr LMC & Tour Auto). ;)  Both Members of AC Club France & ACOC.... :)

If Gary Doesn't pick up the gauntlet. Hopefully another Club Member will.  ;)

Keith

« Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 08:40:54 by AC Ace Bristol »

GSouthee

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2019, 16:47:39 »
Keith

As stated I am looking at putting myself forward, however I would like some feed back from those that want to go to Le Mans Classic re alternative arrangements for the travel ie Ferry or Euro-tunnel.

Further, whether more participants would like some other arrangement other than the Chateau's  and Formal Dinner Dance setup.

Personally, I will go via Euro-tunnel anyway and be staying in an apartment near by Le Mans.

I hope I get some feedback soon. I understand after enquiring with the organiser that LMC2020 tickets go on sale from October?

As to the  the next 2 events National  and International I am on holiday over both dates.

If I get some feedback I will contact and Andy re meeting up or getting some form of communications underway.

Cheers

Gary

My car my rules.

administrator

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2019, 08:59:24 »
Hi Gary - Portsmouth - Ouistreham ferry is the best option for me.  Flogging down to Dover in an old car from near Oxford is not fun.  Having said that, I may give LMC 2020 a miss as the International is next year, so my opinion may be of limited interest!

Bryan

GSouthee

• View Profile
Re: Le Mans Classic 2020 organisation and feedback/views please.
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2019, 11:28:33 »
Cheers Bryan for your views.

Yes geographic location of cars and drivers will decide the best route I am sure.

I agree with the International on in the same year that will be a lot on expense for owners that year.

Still I will await a bit more feedback as to poss numbers and  travel/accommodation  options etc.

Gary

My car my rules.

GSouthee

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2019, 19:13:13 »
Hi,  So  nearly 250 views and only 2 replies.

Clearly the Le Mans trip is a no goer, or members cannot be bothered to make their views known.

Therefore I will just do my own thing and go to Le Mans.

I hope someone does come forward and generates some interest.

Gary

My car my rules.

ME113

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2019, 11:24:39 »
Just because no-one's replied to this discussion doesn't mean no-one is interested in the trip.

For me, the Chateaux, circuit parking and social side are what makes the ACOC trip special, without them it would be a poorer event.  However, after my experience on the ferry on the 2018 trip means I will never take any car I care about on the ferry again - or even the daily Audi.  My preference has always been for the Eurotunnel and that's what I did the trip before that.  The extra driving down from Calais is no problem and far preferable to having your car squashed in against all the others....

GSouthee

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2019, 17:26:21 »
Cheers for reply ME113 who ever you may be.

However, if people do not reply I must assume that no one is interested as surely they would comment as you have. I appreciate your view and agree with the ferry scenario, also the circuit parking. I am not a fan of the Chateau experience my self but as I stated I would have continued with this if this was what members really wanted.

My self, I will be staying at a nice apartment over looking the river just up the road from circuit, going via Eurotunnel and parking on circuit anyway.

I have made my decision and hope someone will pick up the gauntlet as there appears little enthusiasm for the trip.

Gary

My car my rules.

Bob King

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2019, 06:27:45 »
Just discovered this thread. Is the Forum the best way to contact the membership at large?

I am considering taking BE1176 to Europe (from Australia) next year and would be interested in doing the Le Mans trip. I would probably prefer the Eurotunnel

GSouthee

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2019, 18:01:33 »
Hi Bob

Sorry I was away for a couple of days.

I have withdrawn my offer to run this coming Le Mans trip due to lack of interest etc etc.

How ever I am going via Euro-tunnel myself and would be happy to link up with you on the trip. Tickets with circuit parking can be obtained in October when they go on sale via the Le Mans website. I am staying at an apartment not far from the circuit, there a quite a number in the area still available.

As for contacting the membership at large good luck with that, they seem to view but not comment!!!! You might be better off shouting at the moon.

Gary

My car my rules.

shep

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2019, 00:41:59 »
Hi Gary, I have only just seen your post. The Forum is no indication of who will book on the 2020 Classic Me Mans trip. I have confirmed our bookings with the 2 previous chateaux, and will be happy for someone to take over the project by organising the ferry tickets and entry tickets. Perhaps if you are interested you should come to the ACOC Council Meeting at the Kings Head Pub in Westmorland Street, London W1G 8PJ at 19.00hrs on Thursday 18th July, and Keith and I can fill in the details. In previous years you wanted to travel Dover-Calais instead of Portsmouth-Caen, and you wanted to camp and not stay in the chateaux so we will need to review the plans for 2020. Maybe there is a case for 2 packages, but personally I will certainly prefer to stick to the previous format of ferry and chateau. Please let me know if you are still interested, and I suggest that an advert the ACtion magazine will give a much better idea of numbers than the Forum. Cheers, Andy.

shep

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2019, 00:54:08 »
To all members, as a postscript to the above, there will be an ACOC trip to Classic Le Mans 2020, and several members have already shown interest. Although it is 12 months away, we will be placing an advert in the ACtion Magazine in the next month or so. The trip will include ferries, accommodation and entry to our own AC area inside the circuit. Anyone can contact me directly, or apply via the ACtion advert as soon as it is published. This Forum is not always read by members and is therefore not the most reliable organ of communication within the Club. Regards, Andy Shepherd, Chairman AC Owners' Club.

GSouthee

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2019, 08:51:07 »
Hi Andy.

Firstly, you clearly have me confused with someone else. I have never travelled Dover-Calais (as previously mentioned my dislike of bobbing about on the water) I a ways travel Euro-tunnel (Cheriton-Coquelles). Also I do not 'camp' I stay at a very nice apartment overlooking the river Sarthe. ( I am sure that those that do camp probably enjoy it, just not my cup of tea).

Secondly, it seems from the, admittedly few replies to my thread, that at least one is doubtful he will go this coming year (I believe due to the cost of both the International and Le Mans in the same year), 1 prefers the ferry and 2 would prefer Euro-tunnel. Therefore, the option of both ways to travel should be offered with the circuit ticket deal, but with the option of taking up the Chateau option or not if a member wants to do own thing re accommodation.

If the idea of the options are a non starter from the clubs view point, I would still be happy to get my tickets for the AC area ticket deal from yourselves and as stated will do my own thing re travel/accommodation.

I would still be willing to consider the idea of taking this over, with the proviso that this option is offered. I cannot make the July meeting as I will be away in France.

Either way I wish whoever takes this on best of luck and hope it goes well.

Perhaps the advert could also include a reference to use the Forum for updates on the trip, then maybe more members would start to use this valuable tool.

Gary

My car my rules.

GSouthee

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2019, 17:43:39 »
MMM Just wondering what happened to the advert for Le mans trip in Action is.

Is this more procrastination?

Its a shame that the Andy and the club stalwarts do not seem to want to consider alternatives to the prescribed format, it may allow others to take part.

Gary

My car my rules.