Author Topic: Hydraulic clutch release  (Read 2066 times)

Max Allan

• View Profile
Hydraulic clutch release
« on: July 13, 2008, 00:47:32 »
Has anyone swapped their Mk 1V clutch release cable for a hydraulic setup? I have a Tremec T56 6-speed box to replace the auto box on my Ace (Brooklands). I’ve had it more than a year and still not got round to doing the swap, but when I do would prefer hydraulic action rather than cable. However, I have no idea what master and slave cylinder sizes to use to get sufficient clutch travel with the lightest possible pedal. Any suggestions as to sizes and possible make/model vehicle to source the parts from?

Many thanks,
   Max

SB7019

• View Profile
Hydraulic clutch release
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2008, 12:32:13 »
A solution that has worked for me in the past on a 5 speed Tremec is to use an hydraulic throwout bearing (from memory a McLoed) that encircles the gearbox input shaft.  This overcomes the need for a fork and also produces a lighter action than a more traditional mechanism.  I found it quite easy to fit.  The downside is that some people have had problems with fluid leakage from the hydraulic banjo joints.  Mine never produced any problems in the three years I ran it and the new owner has also found it OK for the 6 years he has had it for.   If you search on the US based Club Cobra web site you should find more info.  Real Steel supplied mine and provided a lot of useful advice on sizes etc.