Author Topic: Buff log book wishes to be reconciled with rightful owner - Aceca 851 CPD.  (Read 2998 times)

Nuvolari

• View Profile
I'm not an AC owner, historic Lancias are my thing but I thought I'd pop in here in an attempt to reunite an old RF60 "buff' log book with its rightful/moral owner.

I attend a lot of auctions seeking out motor-sporting memorabilia in particular.  I'm not sure what attracted me to bid on a large box of 1960's VW commercial vehicle brochures -  but that's auctions for you !  Having won the auction lot I then discovered this Aceca log book sandwiched between 2 VW Transporter booklets.

So the log book covers the early life of Aceca 851 CPD from birth on 24th January 1957 until its 5th owner change in December 1965. At some stage it seems to have turned colour from red to blue.

I'm not looking at profiteering here - I initially advertised it on eBay (chassis and engine numbers concealed) but then realised that this was pretty naff and not very romantic. DVLA records suggest that 851 CPD is extant and has not been exported. I guess the car may be known of within Club circles so if the current owner contacts me with proof of ownership I will forward the RF60 to him/her. A small donation not to me but to the RNLI to cover my time/effort would be appreciated - although the VW Transporter brochures sold for impressive profit on eBay...

Nuvolari

• View Profile
Deafening silence suggests that this is not a car that features within A.C.O.C. circles.

The car is definitely currently "taxed" (although, of course, exempt from charge) within the UK.  I guess it might be just hiding away as part of someone's investment portfolio or similar. Is there an active Aceca register within the A.C.O.C. ?

B.P.Bird

• View Profile
Dear Enquirer,
I don't normally reply to anonymous posts, however, in this case where you are trying to help an Aceca owner out, that might be a principal taken too far. The car does appear in The Register (Car Number AE 511 a  very early Aceca) and I hope that The Registrar might put you and the Owner in touch:

Marc Atkinson bristol411s5@gmail.com or telephone07793133099

AEX146

• View Profile
Dear Nuvolari,
Did you know that the Aceca 851CPD is for sale at the Bonhams Festival of Speed auction on 5th July?I’m sure the new owner would be delighted to get the old log book.
Regards,
Ben Morgan

Nuvolari

• View Profile
Many thanks for that, I’ve now spoken to Bonhams and the log book will be reunited with the Aceca for the FoS sale. They were grateful as they had no meaningful early history for the car.

I’ll be going along to the auction for other reasons, having now formed an emotional attachment to an AC I will need to keep my auction paddle firmly in my lap...