Author Topic: CF 64 Bits and Pieces  (Read 27257 times)

Englishman

• View Profile
CF 64 Bits and Pieces
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2008, 05:50:36 »
Gents,

Just spoke with my car builder who is trying to put together an exhaust system, we are happy to run with extractors and headers however if anybody has a photograph of the plumbing under the car showing muffler and pipe locations etc it would be very useful.

Was there just two muffler boxes under the car as my guy thinks that that may not be enough to quieten the beast ??

Cheers

Peter

Emmanueld

• View Profile
CF 64 Bits and Pieces
« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2008, 18:28:10 »
Peter, I checked, I could not find undercarriage photos with the pipes on. I will do so soon!

Regards,

Emmanuel

Englishman

• View Profile
CF 64 Bits and Pieces
« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2008, 04:41:55 »
To date I have had no luck in finding the AC badge that sits on the nose of the car so I will take advice given earlier and try to manufacture one.

To enable me to have a shot at this I need a sketch/photograph with some key dimensions so again I ask for help  and or further suggestions.

Cheers

Peter

cf24

• View Profile
CF 64 Bits and Pieces
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2008, 10:29:26 »
Re badge .

Talk to Paul Eaton , at Eatons Jewellers , he advertises in the mag and has done some very good logos on jewellery , watches etc .

Ken Chisholm

cobham cobra

• View Profile
CF 64 Bits and Pieces
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2008, 11:35:11 »
That's a good suggestion Ken. Paul Eaton is an AC owner and an enthusiastic supporter of the club. All you have to do now is decide what metal you want it made in, silver, white gold or titanium[:D]. Paul's website is http://www.eatonsgoldsmiths.com/products_ac_j.shtml
   John.

administrator

• Administrator
    • View Profile
CF 64 Bits and Pieces
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2008, 23:36:27 »
I am 99.9% certain that the badges are available from  www.fivestarclassics.com .  They are not on the lists on the website, you have to ring them up for availability.  They are the same as the wheel and door badges used on the 3000ME.  What you will have to get fabricated is the metal structure that supports the badge which was special to the 428.

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
CF 64 Bits and Pieces
« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2008, 02:29:29 »
quote:
Originally posted by Englishman

To date I have had no luck in finding the AC badge that sits on the nose of the car so I will take advice given earlier and try to manufacture one.

To enable me to have a shot at this I need a sketch/photograph with some key dimensions so again I ask for help  and or further suggestions.

Cheers

Peter

Peter

Suggest you email Andy Shepherd as he was looking into having some specially made for the ACOC..  ..  ..  was discussed at Council meeting in 2007.  He has sample.

email:-   shepherd289 at aol dot com

Keith

Englishman

• View Profile
CF 64 Bits and Pieces
« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2008, 07:49:22 »
Gents,

All excellent suggestions, I will start with Andy Shepherd and work my way from there.

I note from the thread " Sad Frua " that the mounting appears to be recessed, my car has a solid nose which may well be the result of a repair job as we suspect the the car has been in a collision at some stage. My guys beleive that a deer or some other animal may have been involved from the evidence, all now of course fully rebuilt.

If you happen to look at photos of CF64 on the "Gentlemens Express" register ( well done Classicus ) you will see that my cars nose is solid.

Cheers and thanks again

Peter

Classicus

• View Profile
CF 64 Bits and Pieces
« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2008, 12:46:20 »
Hi Peter

Still a bit indistinct but I've enlarged and lightened the relevant pics on the Register of CF 64, as well as adding a pic of the nose/ badge hole into CF 75 so hope this helps ?

For the record I've also finally got around to tidying up all the entries as best as possible. So apart from waiting for the labelling facility from the Forum providers for all the pics in the second Forum and any odd updates, only one or two more small jobs left and it's done. I hope !

http://acfrua428.activeboard.com/forum.spark?forumID=115841&p=1

Thanks

Paul [:)]

Englishman

• View Profile
CF 64 Bits and Pieces
« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2008, 01:24:54 »
Things are starting to get exciting with CF 64, I bought the rear light sets that were originally in Malta and were subsequently bought by a guy in Switzerland off E-bay so all is well there.

We will overcome the other bits and pieces, what I now need are some fairly detailed photos of the Front Grill to enable a metal worker to manufacture one and a brief description of the finish i.e. paint, chrome,colour etc. Dimensions of the components would also be useful or a photo with a measurable object to give us an idea of scale.

Of course if any one knows the whereabouts of an original grill I would be more than interested.

Thanks in anticipation.

Peter

Englishman

• View Profile
CF 64 Bits and Pieces
« Reply #40 on: September 30, 2008, 04:48:58 »
C'mon Guys,

I have a captive metalworker who believes he can create a new front Grille for me, however a few detailed photos and some dimensions of the components would be extremely helpful.

We are really quite close to completion with all the shiny bits now despatched to the chromer, we have guys lined up for the final trimming of the doors etc, we even found some matching carpet.

The car will be sent up to a racing shop in Brisbane to get the headers and extractors tailor made from stainless steel, doubt that we will jet hot coat stainless.

Most of the electrics are sorted and we are looking to put a set of tyres on as soon as the spare Hallibrand wheel gets here from the USA.

Again any help in sorting out the Grille will be greatly appreciated.

Peter

Classicus

• View Profile
CF 64 Bits and Pieces
« Reply #41 on: September 30, 2008, 14:03:24 »
Hi Peter

Don't know if you've tried the factory itself or Hawk Cars (URLs below) as I've heard they've worked on 428s in the past ?

I'd also like one day to build up some really good professional high res. colour photos of owner's 428s around the world to eventually put onto the new website, so when all your work's finished any chance of taking a few against some easily identifiable local dramatic, colourful, exclusive etc. scenery ? Forget where you live but for example by the cliffs and sea with plenty of gorgeous beach babes and surfers, Sydney Harbour Bridge and so on.... Even a dozen kangaroos and wallabies would be great lol !! And knowing Nik I bet he can think of tons more without trying as well, superimposing 428s using Photoshop against places where they've probably never even heard never mind seen a 428 ! The Kremlin (in summer!), Kenya National Park couple of lions on the bonnet.... [:D]  [8D]

Seriously !! I think these sort of glossy international photos are long overdue given the 428's sheer charismatic and timeless beauty, miles better than endless dreary Eurobox fodder impossibly perched on glaciers - of all places [B)] ! A fashion statement tailor made for glossy international magazines like "Vogue" if ever there was one, so astronomical hourly rates a cinch !

Good luck with the final stages !

Paul [:)]

http://www.acheritage.co.uk/contactus.html

http://www.hawkcars.co.uk/company/contact.html

Michael Trotter

• View Profile
CF 64 Bits and Pieces
« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2009, 19:54:29 »
Peter
   Maybe a bit late in the day but the following may be helpful.

Rear lights - I see you have some now but see my notes on 'Trading post:looking for-to sell' 31 Dec 2007. Incidentally, on CF6 the chrome plinths are handed but the lamps and lenses are not. CF6 leaks water from the boot lid channels past the rear lights into the boot; do they all do this I wonder? I think the fit of the plinth to the body is critical and I am about to try a new rubber seal at this junction.

Hader tank - CF6 has the standard rectangular tank in brass with a Serck nameplate on it. No idea if this is unique to the 428 but it doesn't look very efficient as the internal baffle makes the water do three 90 degree turns inside the tank. Perhaps this doesn't matter because significant flow restriction would only be at high revs when higher airflow through the radiator would take care of heat exchange.But I wouldn't replicate the Serck tank and think the Kirkham Cobra arrangement is worth investigating. At the same time you might get rid of the normal top hose from the thermostat housing to the tank - does anybody know where this comes from? On CF6 I still have the Serck tank but made a new thermostat housing pointing ahead and up so I could use an inch and a quarter 90 degree elbow hose

Bonnet opening springs - You might consider MGB GT tailgate springs. Dont look as nice as the originals but I think I saw them on CF24 a few years ago and they appeared to work OK.

Front grilles - The originals have a lot of metal and not much hole. As mine were tired I replaced them with wire mesh with half inch squares. This has about 50% more hole area - wont be 50% more airflow but I thought it could only help the air to get to the radiator.

Michael

Englishman

• View Profile
CF 64 Bits and Pieces
« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2009, 02:48:09 »
Micheal,

Thank you for your input, to update you I have bought two rear lens sets that originally appeared on e-bay in Malta and reappeared in Switzerland and now reside in Australia.

We have decided to manufacture the bonnet opening spring, jury still out on header tank and I believe that with photos supplied we can manufacture a new grille.

Light boss in door is now fixed and I believe that the AC club is organising some nose badges.

Thanks for the tip on water ingress to the boot, the car has yet to see rain in its new incarnation.

Classicus as and when the car is complete I will indeed get some professional photos taken and let you have what you need.

Cheers

Peter

Emmanueld

• View Profile
CF 64 Bits and Pieces
« Reply #44 on: February 04, 2009, 14:04:08 »
Peter, as far as the header tank it depends if you want to use AC or not. The original header tank will not work with AC because the compressor will go in that spot. Then you should use the Ford Galaxy set up which is what was used in the MKIII and the kirkham as well. On the MKIII, the tank won't clear the hood and it has to be shortened. Both setups work equally fine. Make sure you use very short rubber hoses of reliability. I bought a lower aluminum hose from Kirkham to replace the long universal lower rubber hose which bust twice. The engine produces huge amount of heat!

Emmanuel