Author Topic: Continuation MKIII 427 manufactured at Brooklands  (Read 5910 times)

Clive Austin

• AK1318 AC MKIV 7 litre
    • View Profile
Continuation MKIII 427 manufactured at Brooklands
« on: April 26, 2019, 07:32:30 »
I am a new member looking for a Cobra and am in discussion with a reputable dealer about a "Continuation MKIII 427 manufactured at Brooklands", I think in the late 80's.  It has a COB chassis number from a small batch of unused numbers dating back to the Thames Ditton days and is fitted with a period correct side oiler engine. I don't yet have the chassis number.  I appreciate it's not an "original 60's" car but it feels somewhere in between that and a MKIV Lightweight.  However, I'm struggling to find any definitive history on these variants.  I'd really appreciate any shared knowledge or pointers as to where I might find some.  Partly out of a desire to double check the history of the car, but mainly because I am in the process of immersing myself in "all things Cobra" and this is a frustrating blind spot for me. I am unsure whether it is best to post here or in the MKIV area so have done both - please excuse the duplication.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Best regards.

Clive Austin
clivej.austin@gmail.com / 07803 797 135
Clive Austin

silty

• View Profile
Re: Continuation MKIII 427 manufactured at Brooklands
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2019, 13:41:42 »
Hello Clive,

I don't have a continuation car but I did come close to buying one in the recent past.  I suggest having a look in Trevor Legate's book Cobra: The first 40 Years   - I found that to be useful on the subject (there's even a continuation on the cover).  There's nothing mysterious about the continuation cars, and an internet search will also yield information

I'd be happy to answer any specific questions you have if you message me but talking to an owner would be your best bet.

I ended up buying a Lightweight and I've no regrets...
« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 15:48:01 by silty »

AC Ventura

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2019, 21:32:26 »
 Bear in mind that the later aluminium bodied Mk IVs were made by AC Cars and beautifully built. That is Autokraft owned AC Cars as opposed to building them under license. They were sold as new cars and there is not likely to be any future challenges to their status. There are around 11, Mk IV 427’s and one of those over a continuation, were one available, might be preferable for some.
 You have to have certain make up to be a long term 427 owner and very few have that DNA. That’s important as the cars are near impossible to sell privately, or p/ex for anything like what you paid. The cars with original iron engines are very front heavy and Shelby himself called it ‘The Turd’ and stated it needed a aluminium block. That wasn’t available in the mid sixties, so development ended fast.
 Anything over 400 bhp is very hard to hook up (drive fast) with anything approaching the security of modern performance cars. Some find the scare factor part of the excitement, others soon realise they can’t live with the unpredictability and quite frankly, danger.
 The base Mk IV is unlikely to frighten you at all and the so called Lightweight is a good compromise. But for some, they need the thrill of attempting to master the spellbinding big block 427. Lewis Hamilton owns two 427s and I’m pretty sure Michael Schumacher bought one upon his original retirement.
 The most coveted big block engine is the 427 side oiler, not the 427 top oiler, nor the much less powerful 428. Make sure you are buying what the description says you are.
 But really you need to be sure you are one of the few that will love the monster 427, long term.

« Last Edit: May 11, 2019, 00:04:46 by AC Ventura »

Clive Austin

• AK1318 AC MKIV 7 litre
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2019, 07:00:52 »
Many thanks gents, wise advice and I have now shifted my focus to trying to find a RHD MKIV Lightweight. Hens teeth apparently... so if anyone should know of one, please get in touch.

Many thanks.
Clive Austin