Author Topic: Bristol up-rated clutches  (Read 3001 times)

James Eastwood

• View Profile
Bristol up-rated clutches
« on: April 10, 2019, 12:57:44 »
My Bristol clutch is slipping and to my knowledge has never been replaced in our family ownership (47 years!).

Having done a search I have found I need these parts;

MG Heavy duty 8.5" diaphragm
AP racing Clutch plate CP5352/1 , 
Borg & Beck Carbon Thrust release part # 3301

1) My budget may not run to the AP racing plate I may have to use a standard MG item - comments?

2) I'm also tempted to use the MG roller bearing because it comes inexpensively as part of the heavy duty clutch kit - thoughts?

3) I've learnt from one of Keith's posts that the AC clutch slave needs to be shimmed, I assume this means an lengthening of the push road to adapt for a slightly different diaphragm depth - Keith/gents - can some one give me an idea of how much shimming is required, in the order of 100 thou or half inch or what?

4) Do I need to machine a new set of dowel and bolt holes, or will the MG fit the Bristol pattern.

Thank you!

James Eastwood

• View Profile
Re: Bristol up-rated clutches
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2019, 12:16:05 »
If I could appeal for help at least on the 4th item, assistance would be appreciated as knowing whether machining is required it helps me plan to the job.

James

Klassik Metall

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2019, 12:50:26 »
I suggest you speak to INracing. They supply various different Bristol clutch kits for road & race applications. I've fitted one of their standard 8" kits in a road car & other than having to swap over the spacer ring from the original cover plate ,it fitted & operated without any issues.

Regards Luke.

10kph

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2019, 12:14:03 »
If you are using the car as a road car then why upset its characteristics by ending up with a heavy clutch pedal.  I have used borg and beck lotus twincam pressure plates for years and they are a straight fit with no sign of slipping. MGB pressure plates are also a direct fit.
    Tony

James Eastwood

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2019, 12:55:12 »
Thanks for both of the last two suggestions. V useful to know the pressure plate is a direct fit. I do plan on using the car for sprint and hill climb.

I have also been under the car over the weekend to check that it hadn't run out of mechanic travel at the slave cylinder as the plate has worn. I have a knurled adjuster on a threaded slave push rod (not sure if this is standard?) and I was able to check that it has nor run out of travel.

I therefore need to order the replacement clutch now.