Author Topic: I think I'm going to be busy.......  (Read 3796 times)

aex125

• View Profile
I think I'm going to be busy.......
« on: June 29, 2008, 06:40:45 »
Yesterday I brought home the remains of AEX1078. As you can see from the picture it is going to need a LOT of work and I am sure I will be needing much help from all of you. From what I have pulled out of boxes it is probably about 90% complete, but I am not sure everything is usuable as it has sat outside for many years. A couple of quick questions; On what is left of the firewall piece, there is a small (1" in diameter)piece that I do not recognize. It is shown in the 2nd picture and can anyone identify it? Also, is there any detailed information (on line sources or books?) on the suspension pieces including bolts (thread pitch, size etc) and how it all goes together?
   Thanks in advance and I am sure I will have many, many, more questions. AEX125 was a basket case when I bought it also, but the chassis had been restored so I am breaking new ground with 1078.

Jay

J Jones

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2008, 08:38:14 »
looks to me like an inspection light outlet. Lucas made a sort of flashlight you could plug in to provide illumination for underhood repair on the road.

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2008, 10:53:20 »
quote:
Originally posted by aex125

Yesterday I brought home the remains of AEX1078. As you can see from the picture it is going to need a LOT of work and I am sure I will be needing much help from all of you. From what I have pulled out of boxes it is probably about 90% complete, but I am not sure everything is usuable as it has sat outside for many years. A couple of quick questions; On what is left of the firewall piece, there is a small (1" in diameter)piece that I do not recognize. It is shown in the 2nd picture and can anyone identify it? Also, is there any detailed information (on line sources or books?) on the suspension pieces including bolts (thread pitch, size etc) and how it all goes together?
   Thanks in advance and I am sure I will have many, many, more questions. AEX125 was a basket case when I bought it also, but the chassis had been restored so I am breaking new ground with 1078.

Jay

Jay

Glad to see that AEX1078 has found a new home / Custodian,  Clear of the debris and LA Resource - program refuse bins which hid it or tried to protect it in Oct 2007.

When you have emptied the boxes and generally assessed what you
   have &  haven't  keep us all posted on the Forum and we will try to assist with info and parts.........Good Luck......2 A brave man...  or one whose Wife is very understanding ????

Keith

tim isles

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2008, 12:51:53 »
Jay,

I agree with Keith - you will be busy!

Your picture shows the Lucas inspection lamp socket - standard fitment on all Aces from new (it's shown on the wiring diagram). Rare to find one still attached!

Good luck!

Tim.

aex125

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2008, 17:05:24 »
Thanks to everyone for the information on the socket. I have never heard of it before and was unaware of its inclusion on all Aces.
   Keith, Yes my wife in very understanding and it helped that she is the same year model as the car. She will be the one choosing final colors and she also likes the wide hipped theme of the current body so that may stay, although I am trying to convince her the car should go back to an Ace rear clip and we'll see how that goes. As for needed parts I will definitely be getting the requests out when I know what I need. I should also clarify my 90% complete statement. That statement does not include the drivetrain (Engine and gearbox which is missing. The car was changed over to a Ford 289 earlier in its life and that was not included with what I bought. The 90% was in reference to the body parts and even then I might have been a little optimistic in my initial assessment. I am not sure what power train I will be using (I'm a few years away from needing to make that decision) but am thinking about using a 2.6 Ford as I think they might be more available than the AC engine, and would still be a step back toward an original configuration.
   Let the adventure begin!
   Jay

tim isles

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2008, 17:06:46 »
Jay,

Your picture shows the Lucas inspection lamp socket - standard fitment on all Aces from new (it's shown on the wiring diagram). Rare to find one still attached!

Good luck!

Tim.

pjbowman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2008, 17:10:01 »
Jay, are you some kind of masochist?????

Good luck!

Peter
Peter B.

AC Ace Bristol

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2008, 01:30:10 »
quote:
Originally posted by tim isles

Jay,

Good luck!

Tim.

Jay

The Lucas Inspection Lamp Socket is listed under part number
   38604A.  I've grovelled in the footwell of BEX333 and cannot see any trace of one, so can only assume one was never fitted to my Ace Bristol..... However it was listed as a option if required on Aces and Acecas,  ref.... Lucas data sheet number "CE852 /63."

This being a 1963 Lucas document doesn't mean Thames Ditton didn't fit this item as standard,  but seems unlikely as AC and the Hurlocks were somewhat frugal and wouldn't have incurred additional costs when not neccessary.

A potentially usefull extra.  worth keeping on AEX1078.

Keith

pjbowman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2008, 02:19:48 »
I agree with Keith, the sockets definiteley were NOT standard on early cars, maybe  later ones. Neither AEX127 nor AEX672 has this, and the 56-57 wiring diagram does not show this socket at all.

Peter
Peter B.

aex125

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2008, 06:19:24 »
he,he,he no Peter I am not a masochist, but have had my sanity questioned on many occasions and this is probably another one of those times. I can definitley say that I am going to need to improve my MIG welding skills significantly to get this project going as the body is actually better than the frame.  Interesting info on the lamp socket and that alone seems to have made this purchase worthwhile ;)and it is interestinmg that it looks like a piece of the original blue interior is still attached to it. More questions to come as I start to dig into it further and AEX125 should be back from the upholstery shop this week so I will have something to compare 1078 to and figure out what needs to be done on the frame.
   Jay