Author Topic: Ray Mays / Amherst Villiers supercharged AC, 1925  (Read 12415 times)

Paul Kenny

• View Profile
Ray Mays / Amherst Villiers supercharged AC, 1925
« on: June 10, 2008, 22:29:32 »
I am writing the biography of Amherst Villiers, noted automotive, aeronautic and astronautic engineer and portrait painter. Called 'The Man Who Supercharged Bond', it will be published by Haynes next year, and distributed in the US by MBI.
   I am seeking help on Amherst's first blower project, the AC he supercharged for Raymond Mays to race in 1925.
   Mays' autobiography 'Split Seconds' provides some basic points on the work caried out by Amherst, but has virtually nothing to say about the 1.5-litre single-seater SF Edge gave them to modify and race. Where can I find information on the standard AC racing car before Amherst got his hands on it, and indeed the 6-cylinder, 2-litre sports 2-seater car Edge also lent Mays and Villiers as their runaround car?
   Amherst gave an interview to the RREC Magazine about the Phantom I he supercharged, and several interviews to Bugantics about the Brescia Bugattis he developed for Mays in the two years before the season with the AC. Did anyone interview Amherst about the AC for your magazine?
   None of the contemporary magazines seem to have photographs of the car in its final state, at the Sept 1925 JCC 200 mile race at Brooklands - with an extended, 2-seater body, and double radiator and yards of additional hose to cope with what proved terminal overheating problems. Anyone have images of the car in this state?
   I know that after the car was returned to Edge, the engine and supercharger were sold to Tim Birkin, who used them to great success in his speedboat. Does anyone know what happened to the car?
   Finally, does anyone know if SF Edge and / or AC company correspondence from 1925 survive?
   I should be enormously grateful for any help on the 1925 supercharged AC, and should only be too happy in return to do an Amherst talk for your club or an Amherst article for your magazine -
   once I know more!
   Best wishes
   Paul Kenny